Morus nigra mulberry?

Hi Livinginawe,

did the seeds finally sprout?

I am getting a little worried. Mine are in the soil now for exactly 1 month. Out of 48 seeds only 1 sprouted. That was 2 days ago, so I hope I just have to wait a little longer. I didn’t use bottom heat, maybe that is a factor too.

If yours did finally sprout that would ease my mind a bit.

Yes…I have had about a dozen sprout so far, but only five healthy plants. Even though I stratified the seeds for three months they still seemed to want the varying cool/hot cycles of spring to sprout, as it took about a month before I had the first one sprout. Nearly two months later a dozen have sprouted…one more just yesterday…so be patient. I didn’t use bottom heat or anything, just have the pots in my greenhouse that is usually left opened up and exposed.

1 Like

Thank you, thats encouraging. My trays are still indoors. I will move them outside (into my greenhouse) next week since we finally start to get warmer temperatures more consistently.

The new generation:

Nigra-germ-2018

11 Likes

My nigra seedlings had survived outdoor this winter (most of them):

nigra-2

nigra-4

Even this one - about one inch high!
nigra-5

The dead one:

9 Likes

Very nice,

from the first batch of seeds started (at least trying to) in march only 2 sprouted until now. Both withered and dried back after some days. Those young seedlings seem to be very fragile. Are there any recommended measures to keep the little seedlings alive?

1 Like

That’s good news. What was your lowest winter temperature.

They are very delicate. I would avoid exposing them to rain or direct sun. Rain will smother them. You will always end up losing some, no matter what. For a plant capable of living several hundred years, I’m surprised childhood years are so tricky…

2 Likes

I personally prefer Norman Deno’s paper towel method for germinating the seeds (chapter 3, page 13):

https://naldc.nal.usda.gov/naldc/download.xhtml?id=41278&content=PDF

(Norman Deno is Professor of Chemistry, passed away at age 96 in 2017):

So, after 3 monts cold stratification, I moved the moist packets OVER THE fridge, near backside, where the warm air is present. Checked every 2-3 days and sowed only the seeds that are germinated. The % of germination is
low indeed.

1 Like

The lowest temperature this winter was -18 C. But this was for short time and there was 40 cm snow cover.
For comparison: The small asian persimmon seedlings from 2017 had survived under the snow too. Two years old feijoa seedlings are death above snow line and push green below.

Thank you @chriso and @pileta,

yesterday the next 2 seedlings sprouted. They are really taking their time… Its now 4 out of 48, not exactly an overwhelming successrate, but I do hope some more will follow.

Now the quest is to keep them alive. As I said above the first 2 died shortly after sprouting.

4 Likes

Sadly I had no luck in keeping the seedlings alive.
Meanwhile I collected scion wood whenever I saw a morus nigra on every travel I did. Then I grafted it back at home. The rate of success was very low cause I collected scions at every possible and impossible time. But I managed to propagate some of those old trees. One of those grafts is now starting to put out male flowers. That would be a bummer with every other mulberry. But I am happy to have a male morus nigra. It looks like I will be able to use the male tree to produce my own seedlings.

5 Likes

It tough at times. I lost 5 pluot and 2 peach seedlings this year. I did manage to keep the nigra seedlings alive. I have 2. One has barely grown but still alive.

The other seedling is doing well. Now growing secondary branches. This is a seedling off the Bulgarian nigra.

9 Likes

Those seedlings look very good, drew.
Overall my seedlings just didn’t seem very determined to live. A little too much sun for a short time and they died, repotted them maybe a little early and they died… Since only 5 or so sprouted I didn’t really had a chance to learn from my mistakes…

2 Likes

i agree, and quite intriguing!

1 Like

I’m down to three seedlings from 20 in this round. My first round of 20 withered over the course of some five years. Bottom line: Morus nigra seedlings are relatively easy to sprout but very difficult to keep alive. I am going to baby these three and hope for the best…

2 Likes

For many reasons. It’s from zone 6, well it’s mother. Also the plant self produced, so it’s genetics are only from the lone zone 6 morus nigra in Vratsa Bulgaria. There they call the mother tree Tsarigradska mulberry.
Interesting fig like leaves right now, that should change. It could be a male tree too. I have 2 of them, so see how it goes…

2 Likes

Here are my three seedlings

4 Likes

4 Likes

awesome, apart from practically unheard of, if it moves a couple notches down usda zones. And with you hoping that it is a she, or at least bisexual, as long as it is not totally he.