Urban/column apple tree

Yes, they are different in appearance and flavor.

1 Like

Do you have any for sale

1 Like

Hey johans What is the best rootstock for columnar apples.Some I have bought have been on M-111,m-26,m-7,bud-118

1 Like

I have not done any rootstock comparisons for columnar trees.

1 Like

Jeremy: From the commercial sourced information I’ve gleaned so far, the Wijcik Mcintosh mutation/bud sport trees tend to runt out, so the more vigorous roots would be helpful in my region where apples tend to grow smaller anyway.
I got two on MM106, which should do fine on the sandy soil & dry conditions prevailing here. I hope they will get 10 feet tall or so, since they need to offer fruit to someone standing on an upper deck. (Not my yard!)

From various websites I find Scarlet Sentinel was bred in (Summerland?) BC, where the Wijcik bud sport first appeared. Blushing Delight was bred in Czech Republic. It seems reasonable to expect different parentage to create them.

A son-in-law wanted to grow a couple columnar apples & asked my input. We planted Golden Sentinel & Blushing Delight today. The GS was straight up while BD had plenty of short branches lower down. I may have to summer prune BD to encourage vertical growth.

I have not eat eaten Blushing Delight but I did try fruit off of Tasty Red. I thought it was very good.
Good luck on the Blushing Delight.