Using pawpaws

I have been eating a couples of them a day without any issues and loving them. My family and neighbors loved them. They all wanted to grow their own tree. I planted 30 Shenandoah seedlings crossed with Mango this Spring and will distribute to them next Spring. They will get two seedlings for cross pollination.

Tony

2 Likes

I just hit a big bump in my ride in the pawpaw bandwagon. The song running through my head is (sung to the Frozen “Let it go” song):

Let it flow
Let it flow
Yes those pawpaws really make you go
Let it flow
Let it flow!

The pawpaw leather I made tastes great but gave me a quite intense unintended side effect last night. Its interesting @Lucky_P that you had problems with cookies, the leather also was “cooked” to some degree. The fresh pawpaws and the ice cream have been perfectly fine for me. I tasted all the pawpaws as they went in and they all tasted great. I think there might have been something in the caramelization that occurred during the low-heat drying process to make things worse.

4 Likes

Scott,

You need to take anti-dxxxxx to stop the “flow”? I’m so cracked up with your “song”!

Tom

Just got another batch of Mango (darker green on the right) and Shenandoah. Overall, the Mango was superior in sweetness, taste, and fruit size.

Tony

5 Likes

I was hoping to try a paw paw this year. I went hunting in a spot i had found them before ( i did not know what they where at the time. ) I found some trees that looked like paw paws but no fruit. Many of them were diseased or dead. Too much rain? I did pick and eat some lobster mushrooms

1 Like

Tony, Tony! I’m drooling over these “mangoes”!

The wait for my tree to get there is forever!

Tony, you are a fantastic grower! You constantly push all boundaries and do so well with your fruit. Oh yum, and so impressive. Just great!

I asked the drying question on a KSU site and got the answer from its director: don’t dry pawpaw as it somehow releases or creates something that can make people sick.

Thought I’d pass this along.

Thanks @hambone. I have a big pile of dried pawpaw I have been debating what to do with. Now it looks like I will be throwing it out.

What I don’t understand is how any cooked pawpaw recipe can be good, it seems like a process similar to the drying would occur. Lucky’s cookies experience shows that as well.

KSU lady (Crabtree?) said KSU does not know what causes the mysterious noxious result after drying pawpaw. She made no mention of cooking. I think it’s way too good raw. Sorry Lucky had an unfortunate experience.

I keep telling friends: almost everything about pawpaws is just plain weird (except the taste of course).

Hambone,
If you can get additional information I would like to know because we did not know any better than to dry them. Here are additional recipes http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/pawpaw/recipes.htm. We do freeze some of our food after we dry it but not generally.
Btw I dried autumn berries this year and talk about a bad idea that went over like a lead balloon.

Clark- Here is the quote from I believe the Director of Pawpaw program at Kentucky State University from their Facebook page called “KSU Pawpaw”:

Pawpaw fruit do not dry well, for some reason I have had reports from numerous people saying dried pawpaw fruit didn’t agree with them and made them a little sick to their stomachs. We aren’t sure why, if the fatty acids get rancid, or if there is something that gets concentrated when you dry that isn’t agreeable to the stomach, but because of that it isn’t recommended. Freezing pawpaw fruit is the best way to store it. Remove the skin and seeds, puree the pulp and store in a freezer bag.

3 Likes

Scott,
If you decide to throw them out send them to me and I will pay your postage. I love them and have no ill effects whatsoever.

Hambone,
Thanks for the additional information.

Sorry Clark they got composted already. It was hard to throw them out, I put a lot of work into it and would have been happy to send them to you.

1 Like

That’s to bad Scott thanks anyway. We eat plenty of things I suspect might be on the list of things not to eat. We are foragers aka gatherers, yesterday I ate a tomato, raw okra, my fill of autumn olives, 4 apples, a handful of Aronia’s for lunch as I walked the orchard. In spring our diet switches heavy to greens , some of which we cook a special way to prevent poisoning. I’ve eaten acorns and we use tree saps such as maple and nut trees for syrup. We use roots and barks of trees at times for teas. Some of it could be genetics because processed foods and I don’t get a long. My family always ate like I do as long as I can remember. The difference between my family and me is they spent much more time gathering foods than I do. I spend my time growing foods instead because I have less land. Logically what Ksu said about pawpaw could be true because they are different. I’ve never experienced the symptoms.

A friend just passed this recipe along to me. The source is “Hillbilly Cookin 2” by Sam Carson and A.W. Vick

2 Likes

I may try that next year. Thanks.

Tony

I tried making some pawpaw fruit leather one time - I used to do it with persimmon all the time - it looked and tasted nasty. Threw it out.

With 2 teaspoon of salt, I imaging it’s quite salty paw paw pie for me.