Vandalay cherry

What’s a good sweet cherry that goes well with Vandalay? Also maybe something I could eventually graft?Zone 5 and down

Also happy to report the cuttings I took off the tree last month are starting to show signs of life!

This cherry has been in the ground for 5 years now. It will produce more fruit hopefully this year when I add another
It’s first year - planted in April 2011

Spring 2012

Fruit from 2014

I haven’t a current picture since then but I can tell you I will have to prune it heavy this year it stands over 8-9 feet.

7 Likes

I planted Vandalay and Black Gold together in 2011. I pruned them to open-center so they were about 6-7 ft only. All along BG has been more productive, cold tolerant ( flower buds) and less cracking. I hardly had a chance to taste any Vandalay. The fruit cracked and rotted before I could pick them every year.

Last fall, I removed Vandalay.

I think Black Gold or White Gold ( may be less attractive to birds) would be a good choice. I don’t have a pearl series but heard good things about it.

3 Likes

What bloom in year two. That is amazing. I have never had a tree look like that yet!

1 Like

buds are forming

1 Like

cherry blossoms are open!
DSC01137 by Matt K, on Flickr

2 Likes

What did you do with your cuttings? where you able to root them? I have been trying to root cuttings with no success.

Thanks for asking they got roots but they ended up dying off. I still plan to buy a few more fruit trees this year!

Sorry to here that when did you take your cuttings and how did you root them before they died.

I took them in Jan and had them sitting in water they started to leaf out and root then died off. Maybe they should have been potted in soil.

Already showing baby Vandalay cherries! They will be ready by the end of June :smiley:

2 Likes

Buds are starting to open!

3 Likes

Every year it flowers nicely. The birds are NOT getting the fruit this year!

1 Like