Was: Hello all, plus pics; now: bamboo discussions

I’ll see if I can get in touch with the friend with the grove – I don’t normally talk to him but about once a year – and see what other information I can get.

I have yellow grove. I find that if I cut it into pole lengths. It often splits as it drys.
If i cut it and leave the top on as it drys , a month or so,it does not split, when cut to pole lengths. Age of poles makes a difference as well. 3yr old is a lot tougher. Younger poles often split,and or don’t serve as long.
I use a battery powered sawzall. Cutting it as low and flat as possible .
A post driver, like you would use for metal t post, works good for driving bamboo poles in the garden

1 Like

Yes, I wanted one for ornamental reasons, something different. I have Fargesia sp. ‘Scabrida’ for 4 years now. The year I planted we had the polar vortex visit us and this newly planted bamboo died to the ground, but lived. The next winter was fairly cold too, but shoots survived, and it is finally starting to grow. It’s at my cottage where it is extremely shady. It’s about 3 feet tall only but healthy as heck. My wife thought I was crazy for buying bamboo and was not happy, until she saw the plant, she fell in love with it, it is a beautiful bamboo.
I moved it this year because it was in a low spot that remained too wet. I moved it to ground 2 feet higher and it seems really happy. I expect to reach full height as it showed no damage last year and is grew well this year. It’s going to take a few years. Everything grows slow there.
I would like to add Fargesia sp. ‘Jiuzhaigou’ IV, but they want too much money for it.

1 Like

Would anyone be interested in doing a rhizome exchange? I’d like to add black and moso to my collection, and perhaps a yellow culm variety.

As I noted above, I have:
Vivax
Henon
Bory
Nuda
Incense
Sweet Shoot
Water

1 Like

Nice collection.

I’m Zone 9 and could grow all clumpers but the only one I have is B. beecheyana (which put me in a trance at Quail Gardens one day). B. oldhamii is popular here but the leaves tend to get scorched and raggedy.

I like the open grove look of the runners. I have P. vivax aureocaulis, P. aureosulcata ‘Aureocaulis’, P. viridis ‘Robert Young’, P. ducis, and P. parvifolia. All but the last do well under this intense Arizona sun.