Washington Navel Orange in Vista CA

During construction this Spring I removed my failing Robertson Navel. Unable to find another of suitable size, I replaced it with a Washington Navel. It’s doing well and sporting next year’s crop. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Very nice Richard. A nice crop for a young tree .
Mine are golf ball size and should be ready next June/July

Mick

2 Likes

Richard, where do you normally get your fruit trees?
Thanks!

Here are the places I’ll search in the greater San Diego area:

Walter Andersen Nurseries (Poway, Point Loma)
Green Thumb (San Marcos)
City Farmer (a bit east of downtown)
Briggs Tree Company (Vista)

A very good online source for Citrus, esp. uncommon varieties: Four Winds Growers

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ve been to both Walter Andersons, I actually work next to the Pt Loma one. I’ll have to see about visiting the others when I’m out that way.

1 Like

Fresh today!

Washington navel fruit 2018-01-25

6 Likes

Very nice Richard. Good colour too

Mick

1 Like

those look great.

1 Like

Washington%20Navel%20fruits%202019-02-03

7 Likes

Richard,

Have you ever taste Texas Sweet orange? I bought a box from Our local HyVee Supermarket and they are so sweet.

Tony

Fresh Oranges in February, God’s creations never cease to amaze me.

4 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5 - it appears the name is the trademark of a distributor in Texas. The variety is likely Washington.

1 Like

My WN tree right now is so loaded with fruit I had to shim up the limbs with 2X4’s to keep them from breaking!

1 Like

Washington Navels knocked to the ground by yesterday’s wind and rain :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Very prolific for a young tree. I’m sure I have over a hundred pounds of fruit on my tree just waiting to be consumed.

1 Like

We have a place in Phoenix with a Cara Cara Orange. It was an impulse buy at Lowe’s many years ago. The thing grew way faster than expected and puts out beautiful and tasty fruit. I mulch and trim it and that’s about it.

I wish I could grow them down here so bad!

1 Like

Richard, what a reward this year! Amazing crop! Knowing how you keep your trees. That is probably no taller then 5-6 feet?

Good guess!

This afternoon I harvested and washed about 1/2 the ripe fruit on the tree.

Looking east:

6 Likes

3/24. Last of this year’s crop.

2 Likes