Watermelon Growing

I get that. And if I’d known you were going to take the time, which I appreciate, to check the records I’d have been much more careful in my dates. While it is true that I finished my planting around may 20, I planted the bulk of my seeds- the ones that did the worst, durring the first week of may. My planting schedule is very strange because I usually till a row and plant it rather than tilling the entire 1/2 acre and planting all at once. So my planting was spread over many days. But again, most were the first week of may. Sorry for the confusion…I should have been more precise and saved you the trouble of check on the wrong dates. The cold spell I spoke of had ended by the dates you checked. Still, even if you go back and check the first week of may, I’m doubtful it was in the lo 50’s too many nights if any. BTW, for future reference Nashville is usually about 4 degrees warmer than me. Bowling Green, KY is closer and usually the same temp as me.

Either way, I think we both are in full agreement that warmer soil is MUCH better for germination, and whether the slightly cooler temps that did exist at the time I planted were the cause of my low germination or if it was the rain, or bad seeds, my chickens eating them when the first popped up, or whatever. Doesn’t much matter…just had some bad luck this year for some reason. But as I said, I’ve replanted and am on track now, albeit a belated one! Thanks again for taking the time to check and try to offer an explanation. Its just one of natures mysteries I guess.

1 Like

I’ve had some very bad luck with seeds this year too. I got loads of pill bugs running around. All the rain hasn’t helped the situation . They love moisture. They eat all the seeds and young plants. Don’t bother big plants. But chew up newly emerging seedlings in one night. I had to finally give up on direct seeding and start everything in plastic containers. When everything is about 6 inches tall I move them to beds and sprinkle with DE. That seems to be working so far.

2 Likes

The word “consistent” is the important element in soil temperature
for proper germination conditions. I wait until night time low temps
are well into the 60’s and are forecast to be that way for a consistent
period of time. The same thing applies for wet conditions. I never plant
in wet soil or when the forecast calls for periods of rain.
Sometimes, we get impatient as the seasonal clock keeps ticking and
we think we’re going to miss the boat.

4 Likes

Perfectly put. I honestly knew I was planting in poor conditions with it being wet and cold both. But just like you said, I kept telling myself I was running out of time and eventually just felt like I HAD to get them in the ground. The reality is that I’ve planted as late as mid June before and still got good harvest before frost (not that I’d ever recommend that late of planting) but still, just like you said, I felt the pressure of the clock and made bad decisions and it cost me!

2 Likes

Few pics of my watermelon as of today. Tiny seedling is Orangeglo. Thanks Mamuang for seeds. Slightly bigger plants are store bought Sangria.

3 Likes

Length of that black landscape fabric is what I’ve allocated to them. Should be enough for 3-4 plants right?

2 Likes

I don’t like the fence/shade that close. If all they have is the room on the fabric that’s not much. Will probably work.

2 Likes

What is the white stuff?

1 Like

It’s food grade DE( diatomaceous earth).
This year I got tons of pillbugs. DE helps s lot.

1 Like

I hope so…

1 Like

I give Diatomacheous Earth the award for coolest soil amendment name.

Whether or not it is warranted, you can really impress your friends with the mere mention of it. They will think you are a horticultural genius.

7 Likes

My seedlings don’t look like eill ke itin ground. I just planted more seeds today. It is late but why not?!!!

2 Likes

My watermelon seedling is really starting to take off and put out flowers. It’s starting to get all mixed up in the weeds. My cucumbers were able to handle it last year, although it was a bit of a pain to keep the fruit in good condition. Would it be good to put some black landscape fabric under my vine before it gets too big? Or does it need to dig into the soil as it goes?

1 Like

It doesn’t need to root as it goes. Put down weed barrier…!!

2 Likes

You don’t want it to have to compete against the weeds. That’s a definite
no no. It will decrease your yield and the size of your melons.

4 Likes

Harvest started June 10 for both Peddler watermelon and the Savor Charentais. The Savor are small but delicious at 18 brix. Size just right for one meal. The Peddler wasn’t too good at 11 brix. I may have picked too soon and I haven’t grown it before so don’t know if it should be better.

The six additional varieties planted May 9 are running and starting to bloom.

11 Likes

I constantly read about how bad all charentais are about cracking, but mine don’t usually crack unless I leave them on the vine too long. Yours doesn’t appear to be too cracked either. I don’t think they are the most attractive melons even without cracks, but just like you said, they sure are good!

2 Likes

Is this about normal picking time for you? One meal? You eat an 18lb melon in one sitting?

1 Like

The watermelon lasted a day and a half. This is normal for my early planting. That takes a lot of effort. A normal planting date here would be mid April. Most won’t plant until then or later. That would mean a harvest starting in July. So I’ve gained a month. I’m at 4500ft elevation. Dallas is north of here but at 350-800ft elevation. Their warm nights come well ahead of ours. They normally plant corn in Febr.

After my visit with Matt today I promptly took myself to a local nursery for good potting soil. While I was there I just couldn’t help myself (after following this thread) and bought a fourpack of Sugar Baby watermelon seedings. What am I thinking? This is one tough habit I will never be able to kick! Am I way too late to plant these beauties??

2 Likes