What fruits did you eat today?

The yellow one is supposed to be the tasty one,but is hard to find.

1 Like

Taste testing our Gordon and White Winter Pearmain apples for ripeness.

3 Likes

That is a pretty good description of them murky, but the flesh has a different texture as well, almost a little like a denser/drier watermelon. They aren’t bad, but at $5.99/lb it was more of an experiment than something I’d have very often. They can look pretty cool in a fruit salad if you mix in the different colors.

Yes, the yellow one was definitely the best. I think the other 2 could have been riper, but the yellow was much sweeter and the bigger seeds were nice and crunchy.

I travel to Thailand and Singapore for work sometimes. Usually I just get fruit from the hotel, occasionally from a market.

Maybe like bananas in the US, the bland, consistent variety is most popular.

Next time I should remember to bring some pictures of the others for some help in locating them.

I have tasted fresh yellow ones grown by experts in southern CA and Oawaxa MX. The ones from Oaxaca were so much better that I’ve no interest in growing them here. On the other hand – that same comparison between H. guatemalensis from the same sources produced equally delicious fruit. I know of people in northern climes that grow it in a 15-20 gallon pot permanently attached to a dollie for quick transport of it and its trellis indoors and out.

1 Like

Its a shame they are so bland because the texture is fantastic. Also very easy to peel and slice. If they tasted better they would be the ultimate fruit

A bland Dragonfruit is due to selection of cultivar, or shipping, or grower – the same is true of apples.

I’m sure. I just haven’t found the right one yet

Here’s a reliable source for H. guatemalensis. I met them at one of the Pitahaya conferences about a decade ago.

http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/variety-selected-name-american-beauty--informacion-36

Yellow are sweeter. But some violet flesh not all are the best. not just sweet but truly flavorful. 10x the flavor of the best prickly pear ‘tuna’, which has a similar taste.

1 Like

I wanted to grow it in container,I love its flowers as well as its fruits. but,I have jujubees, figs,container grapes,and about 200 various size pots of not winter hardy enoug plants to drag in and out of garage. In winter time, in front of every windows in the house is bunch of plants. I really run out if space. Growing plants is very addictive hobby!!

2 Likes

It’s an incurable disease :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yesterday I stopped at the asian market and they had 3 varieties of Asian pears. One was marked “Century” which I assume was Nijisseiki, another marked “Jumbo” which weren’t actually any larger than the others. And a third variety marked “Fragrant Pear”. They were not perfectly round like many Asian pears. They looked somewhat like a stubby round Anjou pear with a red blush. I bought 2 pears for $2.79. They were packaged together and upon unwrapping the cellophane they had a strong floral smell. Stronger than I was expecting. Taste was very good. The flavor was not overly strong like the aroma. Had the crispness of other Asian pears but maybe a little more sweetness.

This might be an interesting pear to grow. Does anyone grow it here in US? And is scionwood available?

@tonyOmahaz5 is growing a Fragrance pear. I think @scottfsmith may grow it, too.

This is the best time of the year to visit Asian market/grocery stores because Chinese New Year (and Vietnamese New Year, too) is coming. It’s on Feb 16. We celebrate the Chinese New Year with plenty of food and fruit. Visiting Asian market/grocery stores between now and the New Year, you will see lot of fruit that you may not see at other time of the year.

At my local Asian market, this is the first year I’ve seen boxes and boxes of Rojo Brillante in addition to the typical Fuyu. Plenty of tropical and exotic fruit on sale, too.

@clarkinks, it’s time to visit Asian market if you have one near you.

5 Likes

Thanks for the heads up.

Today I tried these. They are figs covered in dark chocolate. They were very tasty.

9 Likes

Left to right, Saudi Arabia dates from Bateel USA - Wanan, Khidri and Kholas. Unbelievably good.

A small box of Kholas dates, like little drops of caramel sunshine.

11 Likes

Tried a Sumo (Dekopon) mandarin orange cross from Trader Joe’s today, very good! Goobled up my half before any photos, oops!

3 Likes

Bought some yellow nectarines from Chile from the grocery store the other day. They were quite small, and I have a soft spot for fruit I know is headed to the dumpster because no one will buy it.

I expected nothing, but I was surprised by how decent the first one was. Nothing incredible, and a bit stringy, but honestly much better than the ones I get in the summer from California… I think the bit of acid tang helped a lot.

1 Like

Finally after 39 years leaving the tropic that I have a chance to eat one if my favorite tropical fruit again. It is called Milk fruit. Sweet pulp with about 5 small seeds and sweet milk like juice with every bite. Awesome. My wife bought them from the Asian market. She said they were pricey but she wouldn’t tell me the actual price.

Tony

3 Likes