What fruits did you eat today?

Key limes and Temptation strawberries!

4 Likes

Apples (store bought), strawberry (ozark beauty, I think), I.E. mulberry, Black Beauty Mulberry, blackberries, cherry tomatoes, cape gooseberries, Anne Raspberry, it adds up when you walk around taking a bite here and there!

Katy

5 Likes

There is a row of a half-dozen serviceberries/juneberries in front of the building on campus adjacent to mine. I’ve been picking a handful off them morning and night as I walk to my car. There is one plant that has 1-2 seeds per fruit and has an good flavored berry, and several others that are filled with seeds and taste pretty meh.

Makes me wonder how the named cultivars taste and how many seeds they have… I have Smokey planted, and had northline, but it died soon after I planted it.

3 Likes

I picked some of my blueberries, but many were sour. I’m not sure if the bushes are simply too young or if I should have let them sit longer.

The few gooseberries I got were excellent, though. Seemed like a combination of plum skin tartness with sweet insides. Too bad so many were small, though.

2 Likes

The heat and dryness here has hastened ripening of lots of berries. I feel so grateful to have decent bit of fruit coming into bearing now (and finally some rain too!). Today I ate handfuls of: the last of the honeyberries, a few strawberries, some Carmine Jewel cherries (tasty though not black yet), Titania black currants, Jonkheer red currants, some floricane PA Freedom blackberries from the greenhouse, and 2 early ‘Reka’ blueberries.

1 Like

Carmine Jewel and Montmorency cherries. Ate some fresh, made a pie with the rest.

Also finished picking my Lapins cherries.

3 Likes

Checked on my juneberries and the Northline seedlings, though young, had a few ripe. Pretty tasty, although the seeds seemed somewhat more noticeable than the last time I tasted juneberries (but that was over a decade ago), I’ll be happy if I get a few nibbles a year and the birds busy themselves on those rather than my cherries!

1 Like

How do you like Reka? I should get my first taste of Reka this summer.

1 Like

Its vigorous, early and tasty. I like it.

2 Likes

``I ate more fresh ‘Temptation’ strawberries. They were ripe, but not overly sweet, which I like. They will make a great shortcake, and they have a true strawberry taste, unlike Honeoye. No kool aid taste. Delish!

2 Likes

I ate a bunch of sour Haskaps yesterday while picking a quart. It was quite heavy. I hope to make a pie.

2 Likes

Strawberries and more strawberries.

16 Likes

Nice, strawberries are my favorite part of the gardening season!

1 Like

A bad grocery store peach and a bad grocery store nectarine. Thanks a lot, California Grown.

1 Like

Savor Charentais melon, TriX 313 watermelon, Speckled egg nectarine, Flavor Supreme pluot, and some blueberries.

6 Likes

My Temptation strawberries!

12 Likes

Please take a pic of the Savor melon should you have any left! :kiss:

1 Like

A couple of fig brebas from about a week ago (it was a busy week at work, not much time for the forum).

Black Jack:

Janice Seedless Kadota:

I’m not a huge fan of brebas, they are large and sweet but no complexity of flavor. Anyway, it’s nice to eat a fresh fig in early June.

5 Likes

Afghanistan apricots, first harvest from last year’s graft. These two have been picked just about 30 minutes ago.

I really like white apricots, the flavor is not “in your face” but very delicate and juicy. The skin is very thin and the texture is luscious, not a single fiber.

11 Likes

Nice Stan! I am still looking for a reliable white apricot after 10+ years and 10+ varieties. They are not as amenable to eastern climate. I topworked Afghanistan this spring, it was never productive. I’m going to let a limb grow back though.

3 Likes