What fruits did you eat today?

What a shame, they’re so pretty.

I just ate another one that was very soft off the tree. There is apricot there. It isn’t strong, but i swear i could taste a little. What i’ve noticed is the seeds get funky…like they split/rot. I still probably have 20 left hanging.

I’ll definitely try to use some pollen from these to cross with a few things next spring. Just the genetics of them (size/color/disease resistance) makes them worthwhile to have around.

2 Likes

I ate a couple of very cracked Flavor Supreme. Very good, very sweet…too bad about the cracking. Have never had that happen. Have a few more without any cracks yet to eat.

Mine cracked also. Only had few because of the bad spring weather. I bagged the few I had and they cracked and then rotted.

Had some Dapple Phoenix Plouts that came from Mike Jackson Farms in Kingsburg CA. They don’t seem to have a water problem there. There was so much juice in them it was like biting a water balloon. Tart skin and way too much liquid.

Last night I slowly savored what might be my favorite food. The Black Mission figs are very large this year. Just two will fill my hand. The tree is now producing what could be called a crop as opposed to a sampling. We used those to make bacon wrapped broiled figs stuffed with honeyed goat cheese. Biting into those would be like a first kiss if the kiss were long, lingering, and totally satisfying.

Perhaps one of the reason these are possibly my favorite food is because the annual opportunity to indulge in them is extremely brief, though long and eagerly awaited. The anticipation and short window of availability of perfectly ripe, properly sized figs may increase the pleasure.

My daughter made grilled peaches topped with freshly whipped cream for dessert. Still, the star of the meal was the bacon wrapped stuffed figs.

Picture to follow tonight if I got any presentable photos.

3 Likes

Can’t wait to see a picture, those sound amazing!

Today… Bastian Orange crabs. Rabbiteye blueberries. Cherry tomatoes.

1 Like

Orient pear and Unknown golden apple

Let us know how they turn out. I haven’t had many crops off mine (and it froze out this year) but I always eat them too early; only the last few I pick are good. One of these years I will learn. They color up many weeks before they are ripe. I never had mush problems on the later ones but they were soft like an apricot is when ripe.

1 Like

Yes, love the Thomcord grapes. Second crop this year for us, although I thinned it quite a bit so it would focus on growing up a wall and on to a trellis. Excellent fruit was ready for us in early July. Earlier ones seemed to have more of the aborted seeds (although still fine to eat). We have some currently out in the sun baking to turn into raisins; first try on that, we’ll see how it goes. Can’t wait to have a full crop next year.

Here is a soft big one i just picked/ate. I enjoyed it…the skin is a little on the thick side. The flavor could use a little more in the cot dept…but overall it seems like an easy fruit to grow…hardly any rot on these and they’ve never been sprayed. Even the PC leaved them alone. You can see how the seeds just explode inside them. I think there are a few that are bigger then this.

I have no idea what is up with these Satsuma. They are tiny…this one had bird damage. Was it frost damage? (you can see the scar around the end from frost.

My son had some and wanted more…so that is really good sign. This kid has a major sweet tooth.

2 Likes

My Satsuma was small and round. i don’t remember that they had pointed bottom.

Mine are sometimes pointed, it varies from fruit to fruit. Those look like Satsuma to me.

@warmwxrules your Hesse sound like the ones I got to ripen well. They are not the most apricot-y but they have a lot more of it than plumcots/pluots. I usually don’t care too much on looks but the super purple out and super orange in I find pretty cool.

Warm,

Your Hesse looks good. Was it juicy and melting? Or gummy in texture?

Not gummy at all… I just ate another soft one…weighed in at 161 grams. It was soft enough i could just about eat it without chewing…melting? You definitely taste the apricot as they get sweeter, although there is still some tartness there. Its one your just going to have to try to see if you would like it. It set very good for me and handled winter with no issues. I probably could have thinned better, but even without i had some very large fruits.

Do not eat these until they are soft and even then, you might want to let them hang longer. They might look ripe, but they aren’t and when they aren’t ripe…they are inedible (imo)…

My son had half of it…and when i asked him, he said it tasted like a purple apricot.

1 Like

I ate my own peaches today! Clean, 15 of 17 bug free peaches. These are Redhaven. I am super excited!

8 Likes

They look great!!!

1 Like

I also found my first plum curculio. It was in the plastic bag after I picked the peaches. Not sure what it was doing since maybe all but one or two are clean.

I ate some Satsuma and Santa Rosa Plums that been in fridge for while, What I bought as a Red Haven Peach but I am not sure if it’s correct, but it was good. some Shinseiki pear that needed to ripen a little, but I needed to pick as it was separated from my other Asians which although not ripe have been picked clean of probably 300 pears in that last few nights. Several cultivars of figs and to really live rich Goat cheese cheesecake from my own goats with local honey and my figs, Thanks so much to my wife for making and Luna and Bella for providing the goats milk.

10 Likes