What fruits did you eat today?

Congrats! It looks like you did a good job with the Surround given those results.

I am in a bit of a gap now but the Summer Beaut and Satsuma are just starting… here are a couple from today. It looks like my daughter polished some of the Satsumas. They are not completely ripe yet but they are still good a bit early, and soon we will be overwhelmed with too many ripe ones.

These Summer Beauts have been the largest sizing nectarines I have grown – the first nectarine to get peach-sized for me. Zero skin diseases, thats another uncommon thing in the nectarines I tried. The taste is good. Not as good as Mericrest but the tree is in its 3rd year so its too early to make a firm opinion.

3 Likes

Oh, my! That cheesecake with figs and honey is a jaw dropper! No question about it; your wife wins the prize for creating the most impressive and luscious dessert of the day. I hope you took your time and savored every bite. I wouldn’t have left even a crumb on that plate!

2 Likes

Thanks Scott! And Mrs. G!

I am kind of worried I got carried away in picking them all at once… Though only one or two have any green, so I think they are mature. With one on the ground being devoured by a rabbit, I think I’d be more devastated to find them on the ground. Or disappeared by squirrels.

The two my wife and I ate that were the softest were sweeter than a store peach! I have to get a refractometer, I guess.

Wow. I need to take a closer look at Summer Beaut.

Matt I have five other nectarines I am evaluating, its not clear Summer Beaut will be the winner. Last year Sunglo tasted better and sized up almost as good. It didn’t fruit this year. I should be getting some Fantasia later this summer to compare.

The one thing it does make clear is I will be able to grow some decent nectarines here. After trying and failing on many heirloom nectarines I realized I need to go with modern more disease-proof ones. Thanks to @alan for steering me in that direction.

3 Likes

Have you tried Red Raspberry? For how wet it has been they look really nice. The only issue i have is they don’t seem to be getting that big…

I haven’t tried that one. Nearly all nectarines have not sized up well for me, its one of the issues I have had. Mericrest is going to be non-puny this year for the first time, in the large plum range. Size has increased greatly over the years as the tree has matured but I think its about as big as it will get now. Anyway maybe your Red Raspberry will get bigger in future years.

This is the third year for my Red Raspberry (or Raspberry Red,not sure?) Nectarine and they have been mini fruits. Brady

It’s Raspberry Red and the fruits have been small for me as well. Very acidic fruit. I’m grafting it over to something else.

Crap…i was hoping they were bigger. They look so pretty… I ate one and noticed it wasn’t that red inside??? Are yours really red inside?

They are all gone now but there may have been streaks of red.
Here is a picture from about two years ago.Brady

1 Like

OK…yeah…that is what it was like…i thought they would be totally red… at least the one i tried tasted good.

Fantasia is a great tasting nectarine, one of the best. I have been eating them by pounds for the last three weeks (I get them from a PYO orchard in Brentwood, CA, I don’t yet have my own tree but am planning to plant or graft one soon). The Fantasia season is now over here in No. Calif., but I still have a few pounds left in the fridge. I would be skeptical, however, regarding their disease resistance on the East coast.

2 Likes

I think Adams County Nursery sells Fantasia out of Pennsylvania, so maybe it can handle the humid East.

1 Like

Fantasia is the most popular commercial nectarine in the east, so it should not be too bad. It is somewhat susceptible to spot; I’ll know a lot more in a month or so :slight_smile:

PS here is a New Jersey sheet I used to help pick my varieties: https://njaes.rutgers.edu/pubs/fs1204/. I also picked Flavortop and PF11.

1 Like

Double Delight Nectarine,lol,so small but one measured 26 brix and another 24.
All of my potted fruit are tiny like these.Do they get any bigger,fruitnut?It’s only the second year,the trees probably haven’t developed enough yet.Looking forward to year three and some will get larger containers. Brady

2 Likes

That’s awfully small. Did you thin enough? They probably won’t be bigger another yr unless you thin more. Stone fruit has always been small on potted trees for me. Figs and berries seem to be normal size.

Only three fruits grew.Brady

It could be that those weren’t pollinated. Nectarines sometimes set those small unpollinated fruits that can be pretty tasty.

I got to pick and eat my first ever home grown peach today. It tasted pretty good. It’s Scarlet Prince from a first year tree. The small tree set about 5 fruit which I thinned down to 2. One of this was bagged and the other was not. The bagged fruit dropped a month ago but the other one really put on some size and color over the last 2 weeks. We had a boat load of rain the last few days and it probably adversely effected this fruit. Buy it was still tasty.

I did not spray this tree and this fruit had some bacterial spot on the unseen side along with some insect damage which I had to cut out.

7 Likes