What fruits did you eat today?

Nice Bill. I grafted the Ayers you gave me to Keifer along with 4 or 5 other varieties. The Ayers grows really weird compared to Moonflower, Seckel, Potomac, etc. They seem to have longer Spindler leaflets. Somewhat curly. Do your do that? I got 2 Ayers graft to take and both of them are like that.

1 Like

Ate another Flavor Grenadeā€¦almost sickeningly sweet. Iā€™ll take a tree ripened Superior any day over FGā€¦even with that thick Superior skin, they still have flavorā€¦where a FG is just sugar. Some excellent Superior plums the last 5 days or soā€¦the bees have been attacking the ripe ones, so i have to be quick. Not much cracking.

Been a crazy good plum year (except for Flavor Supreme). Iā€™ve had a chance to sample about everything.

1 Like

Glad to see Iā€™m not alone ā€¦ I think we are in the minority though Rob.

Get a bee trap, its 5 minutes work to set up. I was stupid in letting mine sit in the garage until last weekend, my Early Crawfords were getting seriously chewed on. The bees know which fruits are the tastiest and they go after those with a vengeance.

Speaking of Early Crawford, that variety has fully redeemed itself this summer. I thinned it more and they are sizing up small but not tiny like they were in previous years. They are soft, small, ugly, and bug-prone, but man do they taste good!!!

Those are really good arenā€™t they. I aonly got one harvest off of my tree in Austin in the 8 yrs I had it (lack of chill/ lack of blooms) but they were great the year I got em. I could likely grow it here in Dallas but may be out of room! Maybe I can rearrange some things.

Speedster,
They grow like that for me as well on a couple of different trees.

Can please somebody post the date of this tasting (and other Wolfskill tastings in the future) in advance on this forum? Thank you very much!

2 Likes

next tasting at wolfskill is first week of november saturday

3 Likes

Just harvested snow Queen nect. Very sweet and juicy. yummy

9 Likes

I had a weird Superior plum experience. Most of them ripened two weeks ago with either sunburn spots or some other physical damage . It wasnā€™t brown rot. Then the last one was ripe yesterdayā€¦ I let it sit on the counter for a day, and had it tonight. Pretty good. Do they ripen over an extended period for you?

Yesā€¦iā€™ve been eating them over the past 10 days or soā€¦there are still non ripe ones on the tree. Its kind of nice. Each day a few are ready to eat. Mine will fall usually when ripe or become very loose where just touching them will cause them to fall. I have a few that the rabbits have got overnight.

1 Like

A few somerset seedless grapes.

4 Likes

More honeycrisp. Very impressed with the flavor. 4 year old tree on m111 and we got about 75 apples. So with proper pruning and getting the wood more horizontal you can get m111 to produce fairly early. Also I keep it topped about 8 feet.

3 Likes

Moonglow Pear. Last year I picked this pear early and it was bland tasting and I had about decided it just wasnā€™t going to be one of those really good flavored fruit. Today I noticed this pear was taking on a light color skin so I picked it. What a difference a year makes. It was sweet and low grit which is what I think many people desire.

3 Likes

My Moonglo really improved in quality with cold storage. Two weeks in the crisper drawer of the fridge then at room temp till it softened, usually a week. The difference was amazing at least for me.

4 Likes

I picked all my Bartlett last weekā€¦i should pull some out and let them ripen.

I ate my first Flavor King and it was just about there. The bees were attacking this one fruit so i picked it. Very good.

I might get rid of Spice Zeeā€¦ not sure if its worth growing being (to me at least) so similar to Tri Lite peachā€¦plus the fruit are so ugly growing here//spotted/cracksā€¦

2 Likes

I need to do a better job recognizing that each variety of pear has different ripening needs. Thanks for posting your procedure on Moonglow.

No pictures because i ate it so fast, but i did try a honey peach today. Very good. Sweet, juicy, freestoneā€¦ It is a very young graft (the fruit was on the small size too) and i probably shouldnā€™t have let it fruit, but i wanted to try these. Next year Iā€™ll probably refrain from letting it flower and grow out a year. Iā€™ve also grafted it a few more places for back up.

I believe the variety is Pallas.

Green Gage

Belle de Thuin

10 Likes

You just need to harvest a little earlier than the rest of us. FG can be spicy if brought in before dead ripe. I like them early, late and in between because of the crunch. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Veteran Peaches (15 brix); Honey Blonde Cantaloupe (19 brix). For reference, the biggest peach in the box is just under 2.5" dia. That tree was planted in the spring of '14.

5 Likes