What fruits did you eat today?

I tried some Buffalo grapes today. 20 brix. Sweeter than Concord, but not as much grapey flavor. I have no problem eating the skin on Concords, but the Buffalo skins were a bit too astringent. Glad I planted them, though, because they are sweet and about a month earlier than Concords for us. Tried some Edelweiss for the first time, also. The skins are much thinner and crisper. They are ripe enough, but maybe they could get riper? Nice fruity flavor. Again, it’s nice to have some good, early grapes.

2 Likes

I got some Sonya apples at the store. I really like them, they need just a little tartness but other than that they were great. I was surprised to see they had red delicious and yellow delicious on their parentage. They were very crisp

Hey Derby, I tried Sonya last year and it was really disappointing for me. Although admittedly I didn’t have high expectations. Glad you found some that you liked. To me there just wasn’t much flavor to it. I prefer apples with some acid but I do like red Fuji and some other sweet apples. Sonya was just bland for me. Here is a link to my post from earlier this year. A steady flow of great grocery store Apples - #36 by speedster1

I agree that it needed acid but the crisp texture and juice did not remind me of a red delicious at all.

Finally! The most delicious ‘Anne’ yellow raspberries. A friend and I just stood at the bushes and ate them as fast as we could. It is so great that the birds do not touch them, as they are not red! My friend had never seen my orchard and could not believe what was created in the last 11 years. AND I found 4 peaches on my Elberta that made it! OMG so excited.

9 Likes

Congrats, Mrs.G. So glad you have your peaches.

1 Like

Oh yum yum yum!!! The raspberries sound wonderful, LOVE raspberries, and how fantastic to find a few peaches! I have a few Flavor Finale left to pick this year, then I’m done for stone fruits. My hubby had one (fell off in his hand when checking). Still not quite ripe, but he likes things on the tart side, so he said it was fantastic. Hoping they’ll be ripe enough to pick next week. Have a few Seckel pears to pick as well.

1 Like

HQ and Mamuang! Thanks. I have to get those peaches down tomorrow before the squirrels find them. It finally rained all day! Too late though. Darn. The peaches will be a real treat! My pears were not very good.

1 Like

I ate my last geo pride pluot today. They have been in the fridge for probably close to 4 weeks, they kept very well. Lost all my flavor king to never ending rain, at least 100 on the tree all split and rotted,real bummer. We’ll there is always next year

1 Like

I have really been enjoying my Aurora pears. They have proven very easy to ripen to perfection. They are something like Bartlett but not as (overly) soft when ripe, and with less musk but more fruity in the flavor. The pears are also huge. I got this variety solely on the recommendation on the Cummins site where they say something like “perhaps the best tasting ever” or similar. That may be a little exaggerated but they have earned a permanent spot in my orchard.

5 Likes

Has it had any trouble with blight?

This was my first time to eat King Kong plumcot fruit. Very good

Aurora has had no blight at all.

I ate a Blake’s Pride and then an Aurora tonight, the Aurora was a lot better. I will need more samples to be sure but BP isn’t looking like anything very special and it has an annoyingly thick skin to boot.

2 Likes

That’s interesting.

Cummins lists it as susceptible.

Glad it’s working out for you.

Did you get any FdM-L?

@scottfsmith,

Thanks for your feed back on BP.

Now, I don’t feel bad that I’ve grafted about 8 different varieties of E. pears on it :smile:

1 Like

No FdM-L yet Matt, they are later. They are going to be small this year, I didn’t thin enough.

I also should have added my usual FB disclaimer, I don’t get much of it on any pear so its not clear what my data means.

1 Like

Local food coop had flavor king…from WA state… Eh… they were decent. Who knows how long ago they were picked. They give you an idea of what they are like, but not nearly as good as something picked fresh off a tree.

Some yellow nectarines from Sam’s Club (not sure variety at this point)…they were blah… the white nectarines i bought maybe a week ago were excellent. They had some huge white peaches that i should have bought instead.

Coming to the end of the season here on this stuff…enjoy it while you can.

I had a Moonglow pear picked on 20160825 and consumed today 20160903. Although it was getting sweet I think it needed 2-3 more weeks of storage.

I bought some Flavor King from a U-Pick orchard in late July and early August, and they were fantastic. For the last few weeks, I have been buying FK from a local farmers market that comes to the town every Saturday. These ones are nice but not nearly as good as the earlier ones. I’m sure that they have been picked somewhat under-ripe and stored in a fridge.

There turned out to be a total of six large Elberta’s just starting to turn yellow with a red blush. Parts of the peaches are still green. I picked all of them as I know the squirrels have probably had their eye on them. I will let them ripen on the window sill. They will be better than no peaches, I hope! This is such a treat!

5 Likes