What fruits did you eat today?

One of my last peaches… this is a seedling…have no idea where/when it came from. The tree is actually grafted over to Spring Satin (which had fruit months ago) and i let some of the peaches fruit too. Its in a small pot so it only had about 5 fruit. Delicious, but i wish is was freestone. Not much spot (everything had spot this year). Squirrels stole a few too.

8 Likes

It has great eye appeal. Hope it taste as good as it looks.

Had a pretty good haul on my grapes. Valiant is not an eating grape but makes a highly flavoured classic grape jelly or better yet a pancake syrup.

11 Likes

I ate a Sweet Bagel peach. Very good…very strong peach flavor. Mine have cracked some (way too much rain this year) and had some spot…but the squirrels haven’t bothered them, nor have the bees. win win. Kind of nice having a late peach around.

1 Like

Seeded a couple of desertnyi pomegranates today. Wish I’d done it in time to join this morning’s pancake topping of passionfruit, strawberry guava, blueberry and mango.

5 Likes

Yes, probably, but I’m in that club too![quote=“scottfsmith, post:369, topic:5021”]
Chris, my Oldmixon are coming in at 15 brix which is standard for a good peach in my orchard.
[/quote]

I have got between 10 and 20 on peaches. My nectaplum was only 13 well some were more, that was the lowest number. And they were great I could taste the acid, and it’s a white!

Then we have the red fleshed whites, which should be a third category
I had a couple Split pits on Arctic Glo, the flesh was fine, so didn’t care. well not fine AMAZING!

I’m growing out all my Indian Free seeds this year. I hand pollinated with every fruit in my yard, even Nadia, it is not self fertile. Hoping for a cross with Arctic Glo that ripens earlier. For me Arctic Glo ripens 2nd week of August. Indian Free the first week of October. Hoping to get a peach that ripens inbetween and still red fleshed.

2 Likes

Awesome Arctic Glo! Those look fantabulous! That variety is so under-rated. The flavor is tops.

1 Like

Ate my first REAL apple, not one of those woody imposters they sell in our local super market, not one of those ones bred for very cold climates that, (don’t get me wrong many of these are good apples, the ones I have just don’t carry the deep flavours ), are sometimes bred for us and good taste has been swapped for hardiness. But a real homegrown apple and that apple was Discovery .
It grew on a 2 year old scion, grafted onto a larger unknown hardy tree. The taste was intense, sweet, with and incredible strawberry flavour. The flesh was crisp, very juicy and streaked with deep pink. I read the taste notes on Orange Pippin and could not disagree more, this was one wonderful apple. I picked it, handed it to my official apple tester ( hubby, the real taste testers, the grandkids, were not available ) and he gave me a look that said WOW. Never have we tasted an apple with such complex flavours.

This apple, grown in my conditions, gets a big thumbs up, and now I understand the difference between a good apple and a so so apple. And here all along I wondered what the fuss was about when describing apple flavours. I assumed that an apple was an apple was an apple, not so.

Now on to Honey Gold, and and unknown that was misnamed Sweet 16.

9 Likes

Good for you. Now you are seeing the world thru your third eye, which has finally opened.

How exciting.

I remember my first Honeycrisp apple, maybe 20 years ago.

And I remember my suprise at how delicious locally-grown apples could be in their season, when I started eating them. It’s not only about subsistence. It’s about gourmet!

1 Like

I picked Wickson last night, some with watercore. I normally dislike watercored apples but these were awesome, translucent from the skin to the core very sweet and acidic.

1 Like

My Winter Banana had water core and I have to mostly agree that they have a pretty good taste.

1 Like

My first Arkansas Black from my trees. I only had one of the Ark Bl and it dropped last night. Contrary to what I originally though the apple ripened and was sweet with a hint of tartness. Apparantly the apple was able to survive the fall without leaving the typical bruise. Super good apple.

1 Like

Is that a Mollie’s Delicious on the right? We sampled one of those at the orchard, and thought it had a nice subtle balance of sweet/tart. Plus, it was a yuuge fruit, about the size of a softball.

How was the Empire, I haven’t heard a lot of opinions on that variety.

I’m surprised that you already have a ripe Ark Black, I thought those are one of the last apples of the season. But, with all the heat we’ve had, ripening times are a couple weeks ahead of schedule.

post combined below

The Empire apple sweet/tart medium size apple that I really like.

Everything does appear to be ripening early this year. Yesterday I called a local orchard about getting some extra Ark Bl and Pink Lady and they told me they will start picking the Ark Bl next week and the Pink Lady looks like they will be ripening in about 2 weeks.

It is the last Mollie’s Delicious on my tree. I think that it being in heavy shade caused the late ripening. This is not a large sample but I have seen several that are very large/mostly sweet.

Bill,
Did your Arkansas Black look darker in real life? From the pic it looked rather brighter red than I have seen. The one I picked from PYO were really dark red.

Bill,
Does this apple looks like your Empire?
These apples ripened about 1-2 weeks ago. I am trying to identify them.

1 Like

It was a little darker but not much. I had only one apple and it dropped off early or I think that it would have darken more.

They look similar to me although last year my Empire was much darker.

This is supposed to be Belmac. This variety is bright red on the pictures and my apples are kinda pink. I have mix up with the other two trees so I am thinking this one might be also not true to the name. And I am looking for the other possibilities. But it is maybe just a year variation.