What fruits did you eat today?

Shasta Gold is very good. Shiranui budwood is available from the CCPP, now :slight_smile:
http://ccpp.ucr.edu/budwood/budwood.php

2 Likes

Made some persimmon sorbet last night. It’s basically 6 persimmons, 2 cups water, 1 cup sugar all blended up and placed in an ice cream maker.

13 Likes

Domestic grocery-bought Ginger Gold apple. Still good… in mid January!

3 Likes

Mrs Dood made a pie out of Porter (OK) Peaches today. My Mom brought them to us back in July when she spent a few weeks with us. Don’t know what variety they are, but they are tart, not real sweet, but real peachy flavored.

Here’s some pics, I’ve already done some quality control sampling:

6 Likes

Just craving for tropical fruits. I bought some real sweet Non-astringent Sharon Persimmons, Jack fruit, Papaya, and coconut.

Tony

6 Likes

Nice.

Still looking for a Cempedak (They are expensive to get here)

So far i like Durian and Jackfruit … i wonder if i like Cempedak!

Tony,

Hope that is young coconut :smile: Love the flesh of young coconut and its sweet juice/water. I give your credit for cutting up jackfruit yourself. Too messy for me.

Yeah, the sticky white sap from the Jack fruit is a little messy but I used nail polish remover to clean the knife off afterward. The young coconut flesh and juice in ice and a little splenda is to die for.

Tony

1 Like

I think Cempedak is not as fragrant and sweet as Jack fruit but it use for cooking in Southeast Asian.

Tony

1 Like

Took me a few minutes to recall what we called cempedak. We call it Jampadah. Not popular at all in Thailand.

I vaguely recall that the texture was mushy and the smell was off.

Look what I opened today.

Unfortunately, I did not particularly like it. This Greengage conserve has a very gelatinous texture, almost gummy, but not in a good way-- with grainy fibrous bits still mixed in. I don’t know why, but I expected it to be juicier and more flavorful or jelly-like.

Sickly sweet with no other flavor components to speak of. Quite a bit disappointing.

Maybe the fresh plums taste a whole lot better?

I ate a banana, orange, persimmon, raisins, and dried Flavor King pluots. Still have a supply of dried fruit that should last until harvest begins in April. The dried fruit is good to excellent. I’m going to sell about 15 lbs at the farmers market tomorrow unless it’s raining.

2 Likes

We have (because of me), been buying store bought apples to taste.
I had my wife try to find “ENVY” and “OPAL” because of recent threads.

She came home with ENVY GALA and FUJI.

We had a not so blind taste test with the family and the clear winner was … FUJI !

1 Like

Matt, I couldn’t agree more! That company as do most, add buckets of sugar that disguises any type of taste the fruit might have. The best way to try ‘specialty’ jams is to go to a farm/orchard growing them. Other than that you’re stuck with supermarket jam. I even tried an imported apricot jam that looked great, opened it and it tasted just like your green gage goo. Supermarket jams just don’t cut it with fruit growers. We are spoiled with true tastes of the individual fruit. Lucky aren’t we?

1 Like

I ate my first Ruby Frost apple today. I don’t think it was fully ripe yet, but it was decent. Crispy with some sweetness but flavors were not developed very well. Still, I ate the whole thing which I can’t do with Honeycrisp. It was a really pretty deep red apple that looked a lot like Rome.
http://www.crunchtimeapplegrowers.com/rubyfrost

With breakfast omelet (veg and smoked gouda): ‘Washington Navel’ orange and ‘Hass’ avocado slices on the side.
Snack after lunch: ‘Kishu’ mandarins (can’t believe they are still holding this long and through the rain!).
Dessert: Homemade healthy date, walnut and chocolate chip cookies. Found a recipe that is THE BOMB:

1 Like

Only a few pieces of persimmon is inside that curd cheese dumpling.

The whole one didnt work ^^

Mmm, it was good but heavy in calories haha!

6 Likes

If anyone likes dates, Aldi currently has dried Medjool dates for $4 ($5?) for a 1lb container. Best dates I’ve ever had!

3 Likes

My dad’s doctor told him to drink some pure cherry juice for his gout. My first discovery was that if you aren’t very careful, even juice that says “100% fruit juice” isn’t 100% cherry but rather 5-10% cherry and 90-95% apple or other fruit juice. My second discovery was that if you do finally locate some “pure cherry juice” it is- even in big box stores- extremely expensive. The good news, though, is I finally found one that is INCREDIBLE!!! Yes, it costs slightly more than its weight in gold I think, but it tastes just like eating a big black tartarian cherry right off my tree! This stuff was from Kroger Grocery Store and was wonderful!!!

4 Likes

I am still eating persimmons I set in the garage months ago. Most I made into leather but there were some left from that. They don’t look very good all shriveled up but they taste wonderful! I usually eat a couple when I get home from work.

4 Likes