What fruits did you eat today?

NIce to know I’m not alone in loving that snack. I used to try to convince myself that it was healthy, but I use regular cottage cheese (not low fat) and lots of sugary syrup off the peaches, so its pretty hard to call my version “healthy”. ha. I have used the home frozen version of what @mrsg47 suggested. But I must admit, store bought frozen peaches seem to have a better texture and retain more freshness. I suppose its the flash-freeze that they employ.

@speedster1, that’s a really interesting version, but I thought I remember that you and I had in common the fact that we aren’;t big fans of tomatoes? ha. (I’m likely confusing you with someone else). I’m a sugar junkie but you’re version does sound interesting.

Not me, I’m a tomato eater :slight_smile:

ha! Must be my CRS kicking in. Not sure if you are familiar with that disease (Can’t Remember S_#^$)

2 Likes

Sure am, my wife has that disease…

1 Like

Soursop, rollinia and canistel from a short trip to Hawaii. The soursop was not quite ripe. The canistel was from a seedling tree and the fruit was ripe but just too dry to be very good. There’s an awful lot of variability in fruit from canistel seedling tees. The rollinia was perfect, the best I’ve ever had. I now understand the comparison to lemon meringue pie.

5 Likes

Have you ever tried Nancy’s cottage cheese? The absolute best around. You can find it at most Whole Foods stores.

1 Like

I haven’t. Have to see if I can find that either at Sprouts or Frazier Farms. I don’t have a Whole Foods close by, unfortunately.

They also sell Nancy’s at Sprouts. It’s delicious!

2 Likes

The Nancy’s with the blue label is next level good.

1 Like

It’s loquat time! And I’m not sharing :slight_smile:

9 Likes

You’re way ahead of me. ‘Big Jim’ is just now starting to show a slight tinge of yellow.

Wow! That thing is a monster. Can’t believe it’s that early.

Drew

This one is called Sweet Crisp. It’s the first year it’s fruited and I really liked it! It’s double grafted with another one called Big White that will be a little later. Both are varieties from Big Jim himself, by way of another member of CRFG.

In reading Rowan Jacobsen’s “Apples of Uncommon Character” I was surprised at the apples he dries - including Fuji and Honeycrisp. I want to try drying Rambour Franc once it comes into bearing.

Rambutan, it’s what’s for breakfast

4 Likes

Jackfruit

5 Likes

nice but not quite ripe from the look of it. One of my favorite fruit, too.

1 Like

Not quite ripe, but close enough, and also nice because it had some tanginess.

northof53:
I read Hans-Joachim Bannier’s assessment of Discovery in a post by suttonelms.org called “Inbreeding/genetic narrowing of apple cultivars.” Bannier described Discovery as having strong flavor and other attributes without resorting to breeding the same ol’ suspects. I haven’t had the pleasure of tasting it. Looking at a map of Germany I found Bielefeld, near Bannier’s orchard, about 80 miles south of Bremen and about 140 miles (not kilometers) east of Utrecht, in the lower reaches of hill country, at 52 degrees north. I expect Discovery would taste pretty good here too, if ever I can find a spot to try it.

Your mention of Wynoochee Early prompts this observation: It is precocious.
You may want to strip it of all but a sample fruit several years in order to facilitate growing a proper tree. I got a bench graft (Maple Valley Orchards, Wisconsin) in '15, on M26. It has modest height so far. Today I looked over all the young trees and found WE pushing about 20 bloom spurs the length of its first year stem. Whoa. I’ll let it bloom for the sake of setting other seed and strip it of all but one applet, in order to establish a ripening record. If you got one fruit last year, you can easily get another this season, it seems.

2 Likes

Today I discovered there are 2 fruits I just find to be awful! (sorry if you enjoy them- I really am a believer in “to each his own” so don’t take it personally… I reported several months ago that I tried papaya and thought was really bad- though some suggested there are better versions. Today it was Guava. WOW! It was just horrible! I have no idea what kind they were…they were yellow and about the size of a ping pong ball or slightly bigger and were sold at wal-mart. WHEW!!! No more for me, thanks.

I’m sure there are other fruits I wouldn’t like and just haven’t tried them (Durian comes to mind) but I’ve tried an awfully lot of fruits in my life and so far only 2 have been downright spitters to me. Anyone else have any fruits they just cannot stomach at all?