What fruits did you eat today?

Please take a pic of the Savor melon should you have any left! :kiss:

1 Like

A couple of fig brebas from about a week ago (it was a busy week at work, not much time for the forum).

Black Jack:

Janice Seedless Kadota:

I’m not a huge fan of brebas, they are large and sweet but no complexity of flavor. Anyway, it’s nice to eat a fresh fig in early June.

5 Likes

Afghanistan apricots, first harvest from last year’s graft. These two have been picked just about 30 minutes ago.

I really like white apricots, the flavor is not “in your face” but very delicate and juicy. The skin is very thin and the texture is luscious, not a single fiber.

11 Likes

Nice Stan! I am still looking for a reliable white apricot after 10+ years and 10+ varieties. They are not as amenable to eastern climate. I topworked Afghanistan this spring, it was never productive. I’m going to let a limb grow back though.

3 Likes

Apricots in general are not easily adaptable to climates unusual for a given variety, they may react by dropping the fruit buds and low fertility. In France, they have different varieties for every region.

I have about 6 or 7 fruits on this Afghanistan branch (grafted on a Tilton tree). This spring, Afghanistan bloomed later than all other apricot varieties in my orchard so I’m happy it set a few fruits. Next year, I’ll have more late-blooming varieties (Zard, Supkhani, Paviot), which hopefully will help pollinating each other.

1 Like

Is the point of growing the strawberries in gutters to keep the berries from sitting on the ground? Really neat set up. What is that in the middle? Those look great!

1 Like

Yes! The voles, squirrels, rabbits and birds went crazy over my in ground berry patches. I screwed four large black ‘s’ hooks into the railing on my smaller porch. Bought a ten foot pvc gutter, cut it in half and bought four end caps as well. Placed them on the hook/ hangers. Worked like a charm! Another bowl of berries today. Now I’m driving the wild life crazy! (netted too).

4 Likes

Looks like we grafted scions from the same ziplock bag :wink: Here’s my suspected Afghanistan Apricot. I didn’t know it had set fruit! The flavor and texture is exactly like you describe.

And some more Blenheims

13 Likes

Bleeding!!! I am beyond jealous. Those are beautiful. I have one apricot that I cannot wait to have ripen. You are one lucky guy!!!:heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Yes, your Afghanistan looks exactly like mine.

A nice haul of Blenheim!

1 Like

Returned from vacation and picked these homegrown berries!

Northcountry blueberry

… with various rasps:

6 Likes

Well done Matt! Soon you’ll be rolling in fruit!!!

2 Likes

What do you do for the winter? Will they survive like that or do you take them inside?

1 Like

Stan, your fruit looks amazing.

2 Likes

I’ve been growing strawberries this way for the past four years. In the fall, before snow, I simply lift the gutters and place them on the floor of my outdoor potting shed. The leaves turn brown, then re-sprout in the spring. I add new soil and fertilize. If I lose a plant I replace it.

6 Likes

First apricot of the season, Robada. Also first decent picking of raspberries. Apricot was quite large, almost crunchy, juicy and sweet. I think it was slightly underwrite, but still good.

10 Likes

Chocolate Charlotte Russe with my strawberries on top and inside.

16 Likes

@bleedingdirt, is that a Curry Leaf plant in your 3rd picture to the right of your container of apricots? I’d love to hear about it. Do you need to bring it in for the winter?

1 Like

Mrsg47, You are a cruel mistress!! You post these amazing food photos w/o a recipe. Recipe please!

Now that looks really good!!