What fruits did you eat today?

Just a sampling…

Katy

14 Likes

Fabulous! You are so far ahead of us in NE. I have one cherry tomato that has fruit. The cukes and squash have blossoms only. All babies! What a beautiful assortment!

1 Like

Thank you! We’ve had a lovely spring this year with cooler than normal temps and my garden is actually a little later than normal. I had neglected picking my cherry tomatoes was surprised that there was so many hiding out. Those and the ground cherries are my candy!

2 Likes

Actually those zucchini were babies…squash vine borer won one round and those were on the stalk. :tired_face:

New Zealand Queen and Smitten apples, both pretty nice.

Yellow/orange flesh jackfruit.

Reed avocado.

2 Likes

Dapple supreme pluot. Store bought but tasty.

7 Likes

Angel cots from trader Joe’s… Good white cots.

2 Likes

Burbank plumcot.

2 Likes

Hi Anne, good eye, yes they are my prized Curry Leaf plants. I grew about a dozen plants from seed over the years. It is pretty finicky to grow and routinely dies without care during the winter. For some reason, mine survive mostly. I gave away the leaves to my neighbors for free which cost a fortune at the grocery store. Next thing I know I’m getting begged to sell my plants! I made a few hundred bucks in no time. I wish I knew this earlier!

During winter, I now just keep them under my orange tree along my house facing SW.

4 Likes

Yes, that is, IF you can find them - they’re not around here. I love them as a unique smoky seasoning. No preservation technique I’ve tried captures the fresh flavor like an oil extraction. I use it like one would use sesame oil. Soooooo good. I have 2 dif varieties, it appears. One has a deeper stronger flavor than the other. Fortunately that one is suckering like crazy. I have to renew the plants because I bring them in and have to keep the size down.

2 Likes

I ate the only 3, thanks to the late freeze, honey kist nectarines I had this year. The tree is on citation, which I don’t recommend for peach/nectarine, but again this year they were out of sight delicious. If you live somewhere with fairly dry summers and want to grow nectarines, I can’t stress enough how good these honey series can be. Sorry no pics, I ate them so fast I didn’t even think about it. Next will be the hand full of honey blaze I have, can’t wait

1 Like

Two more apricots from my last year grafts. They felt firm but they fell of the tree when I touched them.

Both were about the same sweetness, juicy with different textures. Both were really good to eat, but because Robada stayed firmer I liked it a bit better. Harcot has set more fruits though.

11 Likes

Very nice. Harcot looks a little clingy? Robada looks perfect. My Puget Gold have a lot of spot again. Last year they were very clean but all this rain hasn’t been kind.

I picked several pounds of black raspberries. Excellent. Trying to get them before the SWD gets them. I put out a homemade trap (apple cider vinegar) and it looks like i already got a couple.

3 Likes

Congrats, Maria.

I hope I will have better luck next year. My grafts of apricot were loaded with flowers befote 9 F temp in early March fried them all.

2 Likes

I also have only a few fruits survive this spring freeze, hope for the next year.

1 Like

Manila mango. Apple banana.

Picked 4 fall gold and two Caroline raspberries today from the plants I put in a few months ago. The fall gold was really good this time. Very sweet and flavorful. My daughter loved then. The Caroline was okay but not as good as fall gold.

3 Likes

I have two HK nectarines that I started this year mostly due to your glowing recommendation. They are growing great. Can’t wait to try them next season I hope!

1 Like

Hope they do good. Mine is on citation so I doesn’t grow much, so I top worked a white lady peach with honey kist. I need more of those

1 Like

Blueberry pancakes and apple rings for breakfast. The apple rings were canned in Redhots cinnamon candy syrup that is used for coffee sweetener.

Edit: Might also add that I use Bruce’s Sweet Potato pancake mix. Yes, it is more expensive than the rest but its a slam dunk. The best that I have tasted.

10 Likes