What fruits did you eat today?

I bought a few Tasty Rich apricots (box had the variety on it) …small but good. I think i’ll keep the seed and see if i can get it them to grow.

2 Likes

Black raspberries are coming on strong. I ate them as I picked for a half an hour and still have hundreds of ripe ones. The coons must be eating them too. They left some scat with seeds in it on my stairs to my pool.

4 Likes

We are down to the last of our wild black raspberries. They’re by the barn, and still pretty tasty. I was down there this evening, and that area was just humming with the sound of mostly bumblebees. There’s a huge batch of honeysuckles there, and they are loving it. Had to be careful where I was reaching!

1 Like

First ripe stonefruit. Wife/daughter enjoyed them. One had bird damage…so i picked them. These are in ground trees so that is pretty sweet for Wisconsin to have ripe stonefruit before the 4th. They were very good. Sweet/juicy. Like a plum. No rot either!

9 Likes

What are those,Spring Satin? Brady

Had some glencoe and some double gold raspberries.

10 Likes

Yeah…spring sating. I think i got the wood from Scott a number of years ago. I’ve had them fruit in the past…i’ve only got about a dozen this year spread across 3 trees.

I bought a pack of very cherry plums at walmart…like small plums.

2 Likes

My Pakistan Mulberries are ripening and I’ve been eating them for about a week,but usually more in the dark red stage and are pretty good that way.They fall to the ground quite easily.Some have been staying on the tree and maturing.
They are like juicy,purple candy. Brady

13 Likes

I agree. Nectarines are a huge favourite among my family and we can’t get enough of homegrown ones. Just no comparison between home va store bought nectarines. That’s why I added 5 nectarines to my urban orchard collection this spring and I’ll probably go get at least one more. Nectarines are awesome!

4 Likes

From our urban farm we ate lots of blueberries, red currants, cherries, strawberries and raspberries. We also ate store bought lychee, navel oranges and BC cherries from my friends orchard.

3 Likes

I’m getting my first gooseberries, which I planted only last year! We’re probably picking them a little early, but my daughter actually likes the fact that they’re sour.

(I’m really glad I put in some non-tree fruits. It would be maddening to have nothing to show for my efforts but persimmons aborting their fruit.)

3 Likes

I had a few aborted persimmons but most stayed on their trees and are growing well. Hope you end up with some homegrown persimmons to eat in the fall.

1 Like

Harvested my Invicta Gooseberries. Rather good sweet inside with tart skin flavor. A little less tart would be ideal for fresh eating but I keep wanting to go back for more.

Looking forward to Hinnomaki Red and Tixia in the coming weeks.

Thinking I should look into some more dessert quality gooseberries like Hinnomaki Yellow, Black Velvet, Captivator, Black Satin, and Poor Man.

2 Likes

I just planted a Double Gold, hope to hear how they turn out for ye. How old are your plants?

1 Like

Good to hear you’re getting g-berries after the second year. What kind do you have? We planted four this spring and hope to get some next year.

1 Like

Ime getting a few redhaven peaches ripening, they are a good peach, but nothing much can compete with good nectarines. Just finished up with honey blaze, and other than a few of the pluot varieties, everything else is just lacking when compared. And thanks to the late freeze I didn’t get nearly enough nectarines and no pluots. Arctic jay is the only nectarine I have left with any fruit, it’s a potted tree so I was able to protect it.

2 Likes

I’ve got a mature patch. They’re good raspberries. Maybe not top tier, but good, reliable, fun-for-my-nieces-to-eat berries. I think you’ll be happy you planted them.

2 Likes

I had a Sugar Kiss cantaloupe today from Publix market. It was DELICIOUS and like the name says, sugar sweet. I went back and bought two more. I am sure it is a hybrid of some sort. If you get a chance to try one of these you will not be disappointed in the taste.

3 Likes

I must ask were are you located? I don’t recall seeing you post before or maybe I am just not remembering. I run an Urban Farm in Dallas Texas aimed at helping about with the food desert situation in our area. I would love to here more about what you do! Message me sometime if you get a chance. Thank you.

Drew

2 Likes

me neither! i ripped my bush out!

2 Likes