What fruits did you eat today?

Checked Brix on North Star sour cherries two Sundays back: 17 1/2. Checked again July 7, Friday: 21. Stripped the tree and got 1 3/4 gallons. This is its first real crop, as last year it was so little it offered almost a pint. Surprise heat after the coldest wettest spring ever (in about 125 years of records) brought the fruit to ripeness sooner than expected.
We then picked Bing and Rainier cherries on Sunday, the 9th, at a local orchard. Quite late for them.

2 Likes

Looks good, what kind of raspberries do you have? Looks like you have some black rasps?

I was at my friendā€™s place and ate so many. These are not so sweet but very intense flavor. Can not stop eating these.

16 Likes

North east of San Diego. I wish they were bigger, theyā€™re delicious! I donā€™t have particularly large hands, Iā€™ll take another picture for better scale :slight_smile:

1 Like

raspberry Ann is my favoriteļ¼Œhint of apricot. The black raspberry is self grow unknown variety, has stronger flavor. the red is mammoth

2 Likes

I ate Anne, Caroline, and Double Gold raspberries today. They were all good but I prefer double gold so far. These are young berries so their true taste has likely not come out yet. Anne is very large and Caroline is very small. At least on my bushes.

1 Like

Congrats on already getting some berries from your new plants. Plus, theyā€™re all fall bearers, so youā€™ll be getting more as the season moves on.

Iā€™m afraid four of the five new rasps I planted arenā€™t going to make it, Theyā€™ve been in the ground about 6 weeks, and those four donā€™t seem to be sprouting. Just my Eden red rasp and the Anne I got from Loweā€™s have woken up, and theyā€™re only maybe a foot tall at the most.

I tried to get a photo with s quarter for scale. Photography isnā€™t my strongest skill though!

5 Likes

Mad jelly. I would love to have some homegrown peaches

1 Like

what variety of gooseberry?

1 Like

these are suppose to be pixwell and poorman, however I doubt the labels were correct. I bought the pixwell at local nursary later in season.shoppers could have misplaced the label. Pixwell should be thornless, but mine has thorn. Pixwell should be blush color when ripe, mine is deep purple. Compare to poorman, poorman has larger fruits, deep purple, crunchy texture , a little tart, my pixwell fruits is a bit smaller, soft texture, sweet, no trace of tart.

1 Like

My daughter and I each had a handful of almost fully ripe Columbia Star blackberries. This weekend I think theyā€™ll be ripe. I havenā€™t yet seen any Spotted Wing Drosophila, and these seem to ripen pretty uniformly, purportly suited to machine harvest.

19 Likes

The best way to deal with SWD is to eat them before they get soft ā€¦the softest berries almost always had SWD in them (black raspberries)ā€¦oh and donā€™t think about eating squirming maggots. Iā€™m sure i ate a few.

MSU has a lot on themā€¦

The males are easy to identifyā€¦the females are more difficult.

1 Like

Those berries are perfect. Hope you have enough for a pie.

2 Likes

Beautiful fruitā€¦!! My CS occur more in clusters. The center one ripens first and a couple of days later the 4-5 outer ones ripened

1 Like

But the point of growing my own blackberries is so I can harvest superior berries, including picking them at their peak of goodness. They do not get better after picking.

We had a guy from Oregon State University out to speak at one of the Home Orchard Society events, and he suggested August 1st as the nominal guideline harvest date by which one could reasonably expect to avoid Spotted Wing Drosophila problems in our area.

I kept that in mind choosing berries. Thatā€™s one of the factors that helped me pick Cascade Delight red raspberries instead of primocane varieties.

5 Likes

This is a young planting. There is surely enough for one pie, but weā€™d probably rather eat them fresh. Maybe Iā€™ll heat a few with sugar to get an idea of what theyā€™ll be like processed.

We have an abundance of Himalayan blackberries on our property. Maybe Iā€™ll make a pie with those this year to get it out of my system. I also bought a strainer for the food mill attachment to our food processor. Maybe Iā€™ll try to process the seeds out of the Himalayans.

The seed percentage in these Columbia Star seems the lowest Iā€™ve experienced. Among its many great attributes, thatā€™s one I hadnā€™t anticipated.

6 Likes

Really nice blackberries! Wish mine looked that good!

2 Likes

I live in berry habitat. It doesnā€™t take a green thumb to grow good berries here.

4 Likes

Still very impressive, even though you donā€™t say so yourself.

3 Likes