What fruits did you eat today?

A single Cashew fruit. My mother in law froze and saved me the single healthy fruit from the tree in the back yard this year. The dry season was abnormally wet and cashews around the country have had disease and crop failure. like never before. I should have been sick with cashews but I only got left wanting more.

I have had frozen cashew in the US. This was one was less insipid not astringent and had a pleasant tropical flavor

7 Likes

That’s one thing I like about Sams is that their fruit is always labeled. Typically on the side of the cardboard shipping box.

1 Like

Starfruit
The two orange starfruit where both sweeter more flavorful and more sour then any I ever tasted. The three pale fruit where more flavorful but about the same sweetness as the ones shipped to the US. I ate one orange and juiced the other. Two very delicious Mangos I think the small one was a dudu. bottom right was Breadfruit we would eat with dinner, boiled.

Not pictured tropical Bay leaf, the leaf of a member of the allspice family more potent then culinary allspice leaves which are also used the same way. I ate that infused into ice cream, the second scope was barbadine flavored. A member of the passion fruit family. Barbadine ice cream tastes like very good egg custards not what you would expect from a passionfruit

One Finger Balimbi, A starfruit with out the unique shape. Flavor is just a variable tree to tree. These where incredibly sour. I combined them with the sour starfruit just and a yellow passion fruit into a punch.

Tropical Almond
I watch Naked and afraid and in a few episodes they found tropical Almond.

You can chew and suck juice from the flesh which is topical in flavor. But its like sucking on a twigs. inside is a hard seed coat and the “Almond” inside that is very good. with the flavor of almond and fruit.

Cocore ? I have not found details on this yet. It is a Palm related to coconut. Under the thin outer shell is a thin layer of fruity pulp, and under that is a very very hard nut shell inside that is a thin layer of coconut meat.

9 Likes

I have been able to harvest around 25 peaches so far from one peach tree. Best year yet! I estimate I’ve gotten 25 pints of blueberries and 10 pints of blackberries so far and still picking. I have around 12 Asian pears and 15 apples growing, half of them bagged and half treated with Surround so I am excited to see what happens.

3 Likes

When I was at the market that carries Plumogranates,I saw these Apriums,also from Family Tree Farms.
Nice flavor and sweet,with a slight fuzz on the skin.These may be their Bella-sun or Rose varieties. Brady

2 Likes

I’m a little late to respond to this picture, but I wanted to mention that I find nectarines much more useful as frozen fruit than peaches because they hold their texture better. They are about my favorite frozen fruit.

2 Likes

Did you purchase the plumogranites? Those are great. A really complex flavor. I can taste pomegranate and red wine when I ate them last year. Ill have to look for them this year. Wish I could find a tree.

1 Like

From my 2016 Liberty grafts I had three fruits. This one dropped last night and after opening it up the mess around the seed appers to have caused it to abort early. I don’t know what a properly ripened Liberty apple should taste like but this one was sweet with very little tartness. Hope the other two can hold off ripening until it should.

3 Likes

Yes and that"s a good description.They may vary in sweetness,but I can still taste those flavors. Brady.

3 Likes

Here they are somewhat McIntosh-like. They are best when stored for at least 4-6 weeks. I made the mistake of eating them up quickly last year. I regretted when I ate the last few and realized they were much better in late November and early December. I picked them about the 3rd week of Sept here in IA. I believe the

2 Likes

Thanks. The ripening date will give me a rough idea when the other two should be ready.

1 Like

One fab Tomcot!

4 Likes

Had a few dried figs thus far…

1 Like

Got some sunglo nectarines from a friend. Pretty good sugar in them this year. All in all a good tasting nectarine. One of the easier to grow here, at least for him.

2 Likes

I ate exactly 2 shaa kar pareh apricots tonight…they were the size of sweet cherries…soft…very juicy…very good white coto…reminded me of angelcots from trader freds

To me they are better then orange fleshed cots.

2 Likes

Bowl of Staccato cherries, pint of blueberries, a few raspberries, a banana, and a blueberry milkshake then blueberries & banana with strawberry ice cream. Yummy.

3 Likes

I found 12 large unripe Shiro plums
all at once scattered on the ground under my tree a couple days ago. Very few showed any signs of critter damage or blemishes. Like you, I was very surprised this happened, but its only the second year its fruited for me so still learning. There’s about 40 more golden globes hanging, with 2 superiors sizing up from a last years graft. No Satsumas this year, because like last year, a late cold snap did them in.

2 Likes

My Shiro has fruited for 3 years. Last year it did not because Satsuma, the cross pollination partner got wiped out by a cold snap, Shiro flowered profusely but all fruitlets dropped.

This year is the first time some Shiro sized up almost to maturity and dropped. No sign of any injury. ( I would know since I have all the pests in my yard.) I chalked it up for poor pollination. Shiro is very vigorous tree. That could be why it hung on to those fruit longer, I guess.

The rest are turning color. I thinned off the fruit well early on. With numerous late drops, I have not many left.

Satsuma has surprised me this year. A few flowers survived the March cold snap And helped cross pollinated Shiro with its a few flowers. So poor cross pollination this year, definitely.

2 Likes

Poor cross pollination would help explain my situation, as like you, my two base Japanese plum trees are Shiro and Satsuma. What saved me this year was that Superior graft that flowered profusely. I wish I had known how easy it is to graft, I would have planted only a Shiro as a base tree, and top graft other varieties to it for pollination. So far, no plums for third leaf Satsuma tree, beginning to think I am in a bad area for Satsuma with my unpredictable spring weather and generally cold winters.

1 Like

Yup. Satsuma is not very bud cold hardy ( the tree is, not flower buds) in my zone 6 a, occasional zone 5b. Plan to graft over and hope it won’t drop dead on me.

Shiro has close to 10 varieties of plums and pluots on it.

3 Likes