What fruits did you eat today?

We had some more Redhaven peaches. A couple counter-ripened ones squirrels have knocked off and one that had split pit bad. 10 and 11 brix. Not surprising given the switch from drought to 8 inches of rain in 3 weeks of July. They still have nice peachy flavor though.

1 Like

Ztom,
Have you read @Olpea’s comments anout how badly Tango rot? It makes me pause. He is in Kansas. You may want to read it before buying a tree.

3 Likes

Thanks Mamuang, you are absolutely right. My TangOs rotted badly this year, and this isn’t the first year I’ve had issues w/ TangOs.

Still, I plan to keep my TangOs trees and may add a few more. Seems strange I’m sure. But the reason why is because overall TangOs have been a profitable variety for me. Most years it doesn’t rot so badly, and it has been a dependable bearer, even in marginal years. It gets no bac. spot and just about all the fruit sound fruit on the tree can be sold as #1 fruit (whereas on most peach trees the lower shaded fruit has such low sugar, it must be sold as #2.)

So even though there are some significant rot challenges, overall my evaluation is that the variety works for me here. I would add the caveat that I have a decent fungicide program (Captan in the early season, and Indar later). Without a good fungicide program, TangOs might be very difficult to raise any sound fruit in rainy locales like mine.

3 Likes

I just tasted a couple Challenger fruit. Very very tasty. This is the first time I’ve tried any Challenger, so it doesn’t mean much, but so far it’s encouraging. Just about 3 or 4 fruit on this young tree, so really not much of a sample, but it was good.

2 Likes

Hmmm, yesterday I had a bowl of BC cherries, mango, watermelon, Satsuma mandarins, as well as my own blueberries, mulberries, blackberries, & Sun Sugar cherry tomatoes. - very healthy

Also consumed some homemade Korean green onion pancakes, Udon noodles with chicken and mushroom soup, paprika roast chicken, stir fried diced chicken with my own broad beans with rice - reasonably healthy

To balance things, I also had some A&W onion rings and rootbeer. - yummy empty calories

It’s all good.

Anthony

3 Likes

Do Tangos get hit by birds? Birds around here are pecking everything this year.

Are other nurseries ever going to be able to sell some of these acn only varieties?

1 Like

Brebas and my first homegrown Loring peach that fell and I’ve been counter ripening a day or so.

9 Likes

I’ve not ever seen TangOs hit by birds, even once as I recall.

I don’t know if anyone besides Adams carries the TangOs. Adams seems to be able to get an exclusive lock on a lot of the new varieties.

1 Like

Not sure if you saw my post of a few weeks ago Mark but I find Challenger to an under appreciated variety.

http://growingfruit.org/t/in-praise-of-the-challenger-peach/11701

2 Likes

Cummins just updated a few days ago and they have Tangos and Tangos II.

2 Likes

This is a picture of Tango peaches that we are eating now. It is a beginner luck but we have perfectly good peaches without any rot.

14 Likes

I hate to get too excited the first year, but the fruit I tried were considerably better than their sister Contender (Contender is very productive but I hate all the fur on the peach, and the growth habit, and it wasn’t quite as good as the Challengers I tried.) Again only one of my trees of Challenger offered any fruit this year but the fruit had a deep color (like your pic in the thread you referenced) and a deep flavor.

Believe me, if it continues to give tasty fruit clean productive fruit, it won’t be under appreciated by me.

I have a hard time keeping favorites under my hat.

2 Likes

Look fabulous, Maria.

New England’s perfect weather for stone fruit was last year, a summer drought, dry and sunny. Unfortunately, most of us had no stone fruit to speak of because of the fluctuating winter weather in early 2016.

This year, we have had stone fruit and a lot of rain :tired_face:

1 Like

We had a dry and hot summer so far and the plums and peaches were very good. It does not happen every year.

1 Like

PAF blackberries, unknown blackberries, Brown Turkey figs, Chico jujube, Honey Jar Jujube, unknown Peach, IE mulberry, and tomato. I didn’t grow the Peach but it was a local peach which are few this year due to low chill hours here. It was delicious.
Katy

1 Like

Watermelon from Safeway Ata cultural association picnic, lots of blueberries, Sun sugars, triple crown blackberries, and strawberries in a pie. Went to my Bro’s for paella (Spanish seafood and rice specialty) so we brought them a couple pints each of blueberries and cherry tomatoes. Paella was sooooooo good. Great to have talented sister in law

1 Like

I found a fully colored Williams Pride with a few soft spots on it today so I picked it and my wife and I ate it. It was starting to soften. Seems early for WP, but the rest aren’t ready yet. 13.5 Brix. Water core at the skin so probably why it was starting to soften. Super sweet with the water core.

Here are the rest.

These are on a 2016 chip bud and are being supported with a stake so as not to break the branch.

3 Likes

Mine is just turning color. It will be at least two weeks for me. When ripe, William’s Pride turns beautiful deep red. A Good early apple.

10 Likes

Looks like we are all using protection

I found one laying on the ground. It was very good. Not sure if a squirrel knocked it off or it was just ripe and fell. A rabbit gnawed on it some.

5 Likes

Picked some Redhaven peaches today. Brix ranged from 10 to 14, most were 13 or 14. Nice size and very good. I left a dozen more on the tree. Also got to try a Reliance peach for the first time. I picked two today and was surprised they were both 13 brix and pretty good. I didn’t know what to expect since Reliance is one peach that gets so-so reviews. Very juicy, a little bit too soft and the skin was little on the thick side. That combination is a drawback for me, but the taste was fine. If I got one from a grocery store I would be happy with it, but it was better peeled.

The picture of the peach on the grass is a Redhaven, so is the tree.The lighter picture with the sliced peach is a Reliance.

11 Likes