What fruits did you eat today?

Salish summer peaches. They are interesting because they look green even when ripe. I ate a couple of them several days before and those are the last ones. They are sweet aromatic and very delicious, actually very good peaches for my novice taste.

12 Likes

Iā€™m only 45 minutes W of you and we only got 3" in July and we could really use some. Iā€™ve had to irrigate the orchard trees I transplanted to this spring (which is something Iā€™m thankful not to have had to do before). My Harrow Diamond peaches were excellent (harvested 7/07 - 7/14), though despite thinning 50% they were still on the small side, but still abundant. Mostly in the 12-13.5 brix range (but we had less rain). For the last week weā€™ve been gorging on Black Ice plums, first crop. Again, I thought I thinned a lot but Iā€™ve heard them referred to as large (tennis ball sized) plums. Mine are medium-sized but excellent, sweet red flesh with tart black skin in the 14-16 brix range. Will probably harvest the tree clean in the next couple days. Pretty clean despite a lax spray schedule this spring.

Cheers.

3 Likes

Good to know on Black Iceā€¦that is one i might add. Do you grow any other plums/pluots that you could compare too?

1 Like

Another day, another peach, lb of cherries, and a couple handfuls of blueberries.

2 Likes

No other plums yet, though I have a couple Wanetas hanging for harvest in a week or two (windstorms blew off the other couple dozen of its first crop). Next year I should (hopefully) have another half-dozen plum vars for comparison, mostly Japanese-American and Euros.

1 Like

Went to a local cherry orchard that features all of the Romance series cherries and the crop was amazing. I picked 19 pounds of Juliette for canning and freezing. Lovely large cherries that you can eat out of hand if you like a little zing.

Yesterday I canned 36 jars of sunglow apricots and 14 jars of bing cherries, I am canned out today.

We ate our first Petit Gris melon, no picture as we were so shocked we got one ripe from the vine this year that we ate it on the spot. MMMMMM, very good.:yum:

Also got our first taste of Black Raspberries, I think they are a keeper.

ETA the sweet cherries and sunglow apricots were brought in from B.C, I wish they were my own, but at least they were fresh.

10 Likes

I picked many of my Zestar! apples last night. The last two days have been calm and I picked up rabbit-chewed drops both nights. The apples separated easily by lifting up. They are ripe earlier this year, but it might be partly due to more leaf to apple area than last year.

The seeds arenā€™t quite brown on this specimen (about 50% white) but the flavor was great! Nice brown sugar like flavor, with some acid (which I am a big fan of). This year I have more scab than last, but I missed some post-bloom sprays of sulfur.

9 Likes

My reliance is ready, didnā€™t thin enough, on the small side. Too much rain this year, peaches tasted less flavor than last year

7 Likes

Stopped at a local fruitstand on way back from vacation and bought some ginger gold and jersey mac apples. Also spme Italian prune plums and locally grown yellow peach which was unidentified.

2 Likes

Just finished eating a couple of Violette du Bordeaux figs. Not bad. Kinda had an American persimmon taste, which I didnā€™t expect.

2 Likes

We were in a little pennisula of the drought region for a while in June and early July.

I am glad we got the rain because I have no idea how much or how often to irrigate. But I did for about 3 weeks. It also gets to be expensive with city water. We have Jordan aquifer (deep) water that is so hard that it messes with the soil especially in containers.

I did not know Harrow Diamond was so early. I assume being Canadian it is pretty Hardy. That is a nice harvest window for something right when the anticipation of fruit starts to set in.

1 Like

Shiro plum, 14 brix, ok, but no real flavor, will keep and probably try my hand at cooking with them next year, the tree is extremely vigorous and they seem to hang for a while.

5 Likes

Because I donā€™t irrigate I expect budset and next yearā€™s fruit crop will be lighter. This is my Harrow Diamondā€™s second crop, both (early) years ready July 10-12 (supposed to be Redhaven -18). It may be a bit earlier in town. I got them for their earliness and Iā€™ve not been disappointed in the flavor either. Let me know if youā€™re interested in scionwood this winter. My Mericrest graft failed (Autumnstar was a success) and Iā€™m considering other options to graft for the Redhaven window.

1 Like

After a few years of eating Shiro plums with brix around 10-12, I have decided that is best used for pollenizer (for its bud hardiness and abundant flowers) and a rootstock for grafting other better plum and pluot varieties (for its good vigor).

Your fruit were clean and beautiful.

3 Likes

Zestar apples are ready. They are very large, tangy with unusual pockets of sweetness under the skin. They are too tart for my kids who like bland sweetness better.

12 Likes

My Hamese asian pears finally ripened up and I ate 2 of them last night. I felt they were a little better than Shinseiki. Like Shinseiki that had great texture and were very juicy. Seemed a bit sweeter. Their skin was edible as well and not too tough like Chojuro can be.

1 Like

If you are picking Zeestar now, it must be an early ripening apple. Good to know it has good flavour, I have a scion source for this one so it will go on my next year list.

Sams Club comes through again. Sort of amazed that most of the summer they provide better fruits than any of the larger grocery stores in town. Today I was thrilled to see one of my favorites, Purple Rose Apriums. I purchased these a few years ago and absolutely loved them. Some people speculated they are rebadged Hesse or Black Velvet Apriums but I canā€™t confirm. I can tell you that the black velvet Apriums I bought at Kroger were definitely not as good despite looking similar. Purple Rose Apriums have slight apricot fuzz, firm texture, subacid and very sweet. Pit is very small and looks more like a plum than apricot. They are Flintstone with high flesh to pit ratio. My kids have destroyed half a pack already.

The other fruit I purchased was labeled as Honey Burst plumcots. Iā€™ve not had these until today. They have a faint look of Flavor Grenade with more green/yellow color and not as mottled. They are even somewhat box shaped like FG. They also have the same explosive crunch that FG has. Taste though is not as good. I wonder if its a sport or seedling of FG. The same company also sells Flavor Grenade so I donā€™t believe its a rebadge. It is very sweet. More in line with Flavor Queen. Overall I like them mainly for the texture. Much better than most plums IMHO.

4 Likes

Is this the same tree sold by Fedco? Itā€™s an American hybrid? They have a Purple Heart hybrid but Iā€™ve read some people referring to it as an Asian plum. ??

1 Like

Had some delicious Hami melon, seedless watermelon, cherries, another lb of Bluecrop blueberries, some red seedless grapes and a couple Satsuma mandarin oranges.

Oh and some if our first Puget Gold Apricots.

Anthony

2 Likes