What fruits did you eat today?

This tree was labeled a Reliance peach from Tractor Supply but I’m not sure. The fruits are round, nicely colored, large and sweet (16 brix). This one is a little bigger than a baseball which is bigger than any peach I normally grow. They also are not totally soft yet and Redhaven has been done for a several days. They are good, but despite a higher brix than Redhaven, I like the Redhavens better, mainly because the skin and pit are almost tannin-like on these. They are excellent if I cut the skin off and also cut around the pit. The first few I picked were softer but had a tiny bit of insect damage. The rest look perfect and are still firm. The tree is a good size for its second year and only set about a dozen fruit, so maybe that is why they are better quality. Either way I’m pretty happy with the tree, and I have a few successful grafts on it thanks to @BobC ! (Coral Star and Cresthaven)

5 Likes

I haven’t found much information about the variety.The tree probably is some kind of hybrid and most likely the one sold by Fedco. Brady

1 Like

this is my reliance peach. It always ripe this time of the year.a medium size peach.not very sweet, but balanced by acidic, so it has decent flavor

5 Likes

Yes, it is my earliest. I think it is slight later than Pristine, by a week or two. But I don’t have Pristine. I can’t quite figure out when I should be picking Zestar, because I haven’t had a large enough crop yet to really wait to pick them without losing a lot to drops.

It also has good texture and keeps well enough that some MN and WI growers near the Twin Cities grow them commercially and they are occasionally sold in one chain of grocery store here.

3 Likes

I picked an Alderman plum and a Superior plum on Friday and Saturday. I ate them side by side and agree with Rob’s (@warmwxrules) assessment. Alderman is meh. And Superior competes with pluots in flavor. The Alderman was 13 Brix and the Superior was 19.

We got a short rain shower last night and my two remaining (of 3) Superior split and I found one on the ground with a bunny eyeing it when I got home. I will eat them tomorrow.

2 Likes

Honey crisp apples are comming on now. Very good this year for me, we’ve had nearly 2 weeks of cooler than normal weather including some quite cool nights, which I believe help to color up the apples better. Very happy with them, sweet with a little tart and most of them are big. I have 2 rubinnete on a 2 year old tree, any idea when those should ripen.

2 Likes

Ate my first ‘Somerset’ grapes yesterday. They were tiny but awesome.

My grape vines are taking an extra long time acclimating to the heavy clay I planted them in. My Mom whom planted a Mars the same year as my vines went in the ground has large & beautiful grapes this year. Her soil is Mississippi River black loam. I’d say my ‘Somerset’ grapes were 1cm diameter.

Dax

1 Like

Ate two different varieties of Plums from a supermarket today.

Fortune:

Maybe the best supermarket plum along with Lary Anne that i have tasted yet.
Very sweet, very juicy and a little tartness at the skin. Flavor: Plum X Apricot

Afrodite:

Interesting plum, sweet and tart, juicy. Flavor: Artificial bubblegum

1 Like

Wow, Dax, 1 cm sounds awesome to me! This will be my third year harvesting Somerset, and I don’t think I’ve ever had one exceed 1/4". I have them in a greenhouse, but even so they won’t be ripe this year until mid-September.

1 Like

I had my one and only o’henery peach, first one I’ve ever tried, and I would say it did not disappoint. Everyone who talks this peach up were right on the money, at least this one was

2 Likes

While at the Mart that is Wal, I spied some Apriums, so I had to pick some up. They were $3 for a box of six or so, shipped from Cali. I think these had a better flavor than the Verry Cherry plums. These were crisp, a bit sweet, some tangy. Hard to say what they taste more like, I guess more plum, than apricot. They were decent sized, about as big as a golf ball. Here is what they looked like:

They were pretty good, but I’m not a real fan of plums, mostly because of their texture, so I don’t think I’ll be picking up any more in the future.

5 Likes

A lot of good tasting fruit comes from Family Tree Farms. Brady

3 Likes

TangOS and stark giant white peaches!

17 Likes

Yay!

1 Like

Beautiful, congrats! How do they taste?

1 Like

TangOS is meaty and very sweet, no acidity at all. Stark giant white is more juicy but less sweet with a blend of acidity.

4 Likes

1/4" seems more correct! I was just standing there and had bagged a cluster of only about 10 grapes and saw they looked really ripe thru a split in the bag. I had assumed because my plants (all my 12-varieties of 14 I started with) have very low vigor because of the impacted clay soil planted them in. That being the reason for the smallness.

Thanks for straightening me out, Palmer!

Dax

1 Like

Finally ate an excellent tasting Moonglow pear. Very sweet and had just a little crunch. I also ate a small but very tasty Williams Pride apple that was a late bloomer.

4 Likes

My Kieffer pears for 2017. These are getting sweet but they will go into the refrigerator for use after the Orient and Moonglow are gone. Next season I should have a few more varieties to add to these Korean Giant, Harrow Sweet, Frost, Golden Boy, and Tenn.

8 Likes

My first wave of Shiro last week was bland. Brix was under 10. So, I pruned the tree heavily today and this one was on the branch that I pruned off. Did not expect much from it but it was excellent ( for a Shiro standard) sweet and juicy with brix at 16!!!

I’ve had Shiro for a few years, brix was between 10-13. This one blew me away. I need to rethink about grafting it over to other varieties.

8 Likes