What fruits did you eat today?

I was wandering thru my garden after the 26 deg frost a few nights ago, not expecting any surprises. I’d picked what I wanted to pick, covered what I wanted to save. Then I noticed this one shiny gem sticking out from the raspberry patch. These Preludes often blossom in the fall (bees love that) and have some green fruit but last year (record long warm fall) was the first year I got any ripe fruit. Or rather almost ripe in order to get them before the bluejays. But I didn’t expect any this year. But here it was, and more coming. I ate it right then, a little early but better a bit tart in my mouth than in the bird’s. Though we really aren’t getting the bird damage this year. Possibly due to a bumper wild Autumn Olive crop.

Raspberry-Prelude-FallFruit-gf

Then past the strawberries and sure enough, still yet some ripe ones in the old Old North Sea patch. I thought it was done, but it wasn’t. I’ve now picked many small baskets of “this is probably the last picking” this fall. An old variety from the Seed Savers Exchange I planted many years ago. Sets it’s variable sized fruit low to the ground, nicely protected from birds and frosts by its leaves. The summer crop was moderately small and I hadn’t expected much this fall since it was a record blight/leaf spot year but that didn’t bother the fruit. It’s so nice to have a bit to spice up the morning applesauce, both flavor and color.

SB-ONS-fruitOct-gf

7 Likes

If I had only known how good Harrow Sweet tasted I would have added it sooner to my orchard. Today I picked my crop of two total and ate one of them. Now I understand why so many people like this pear. The pear was medium size with a thin peel. It had a sweet taste that I have a hard time describing but was very good. Thanks @mamuang

12 Likes

I agree, it is a very good pear. I planted one and a blakes pride jut to Polinate my magness, but what a nice suprise it was

3 Likes

Bill,
I am glad it has worked out for you. As we know, sometimes, a pear that works well in one climate, may not work well in another.

I can only describe it as sweet, smooth, melting without grittiness. I think it is one of E pears that deserves a whole tree, not just a single branch.

4 Likes

I agree. I have two trees devoted to Harrow sweet as well as several limbs.

1 Like

my evie2 strawberries and autumn britten, polka, and jacyln raspberries have been hit by 2 hard frosts and are still ripening berries! not as tasty as before the frosts but a welcome late season treat! usually done by mid sept.

2 Likes

We shared the last HS today and was wishing that there were more. Another feature I like about it is that it has a thin sweet peeling.

Enjoyed more Mexican mangos, bananas and frozen red seedless grapes. Picked some Fuji, Braeburn, Ambrosia apples, as well as Sunsugar tomatoes, late strawberries, blackberries, & Cape gooseberries. All delicious. That was yesterday.

Anthony

1 Like

Donut peach, The largest I have ever seen, but still tasty.

7 Likes

@castanea, what variety of donut peach is that ripening so late?

I wish I knew. I bought it at Berkeley Bowl in Berkeley, CA where they usually have tags that give you the cultivar name, but this one had no tag.

1 Like

Most likely, Sauzee Lady. Here is the description from the DWN commercial section:

The Sauzee Lady peach was developed to extend the Peento peach market into August. This large, saucer-shaped (“flat”) peach features firm, white clingstone flesh and an attractive pink blush. Sauzee Lady offers a mild, sweet flavor similar to the early season commercial standard, Sauzee Queen.

Patent info: http://www.google.com/patents/USPP22404

DWN lists the ripening window as August 13 to August 28 for Fresno, CA, so it may ripen well into September in North Calif.

3 Likes

Jessica, I find codling moths show distinct preferences. When I had Liberty it was their first choice. Something about how they smell? No color showing when the fruitlets are no bigger than my pinky fingernail, but I had to cover them at that stage in order to head off the caterpillars. Now that Liberty no longer occupies space in my lot, Rambour Franc and Bardsey are preferred, in that order of preference.
Once the others come into bearing, Rambour Franc might not get as much attention, if something else triggers the laying response more.

1 Like

I got an opportunity to try an exotic fruit today that I’ve always wanted to try. Dragonfruit. Pretty disappointing. A really neat looking fruit but lacking flavor. Aside from the peel its 99% edible, texture of a kiwi, slight kiwi flavor but not much else. Expensive too so ill not buy any more.

5 Likes

Very interesting!! I will protect them, very young, next year. Thanks for the tip!

I have had some tasty dragon fruit when I was in China. I got excited when I found a mail order source for some fresh fruit. Wow, what a big waste of money. I wonder if they are just picked before they develop flavor for the commercial market.

Battle of 5 apple varieties: Mutsu/Crispin, Silken, Ginger gold, Northern Spy and Golden Russet (I think! It was labelled « Ontario Russet »). Ontario Russet won me over in seconds with it’s crazy « twizzlers » aroma and super sweet bites! I prefered Northern Spy’s crisp and juicy flesh so it came close second !(Ont Russet had a creamy, non crunchy flesh) . Mutsu was good, with a nice texture, but nothing special regarding its flavour… I’m wonderering if it was fully ripe. Ginger gold and Silken were sweet, bland (compare to the others) and past their prime (a little mushy).

2 Likes

If you get a chance to buy a yellow dragonfruit, try it!

Its way better.

2 Likes

You are right! But they are quite expensive!!! 6,99$ here. Here’s a video I find interesting about them. How to Pick and Eat Yellow Dragon Fruit - YouTube

1 Like

Not true, in my experience. The one in my pic was mostly sour and had a tad of sweetness right in the middle of the fruit. I think it depends mainly on when fruit are picked. The later they are picked, the sweeter they taste. Those picked to sell locally are likely to taste a lot sweeter than those picked (too soon) to export.

$6.99 for me as well. A waste of money indeed.

1 Like