What fruits did you eat today?

I’m pretty sure you know this Bob, but Wal-mart and Kroger both usually have Wonderful (the actual name) Pomegranates if you want to try one. I like the taste pretty well but am not a big fan of the way you have to eat them…the seed to fruit ratio is among the lowest of any fruit I know, and you sort of have to take a mouth full of seeds and somewhat chew on them to get the small amount of fruit, then spit the seeds back out. Some say they eat the seeds but I sure can’t! Anyway, just wanted to make sure you know that Poms are much more readily available in our neck of the woods than many of the fruits we talk about on here. You should at least give them a try. Something different

1 Like

I love the flavor of pomegranate. I just eat the seeds and enjoy the burst of juice that comes along with it. I don’t spit them out. I also don’t find them intolerable. Yes a bit odd but not spit worthy. Haha.

For me am example of an intolerable seed that many people eat is guava. They are terrible. The fruit smells incredible but eats like a bucket of bolts.

5 Likes

That is good info. I planted three of the Wonderful this year. The only ones I have tried out was from Publix and they were as you described and in my opinion just average. Thanks for sharing.

This is Pink pearl apple from the local grocery store. I was really surprised to find it there.

The apple tasted similar to Granny Smith or Antonovka sweet with a lot of sourness, which was not bad. I did not like the texture which was too rough.

5 Likes

I like the pink green color,so pretty

1 Like

It looks very much like Granny Smith with light pink blush. It is surprising to find pink flesh inside.

I like the taste of Granny Smith,and it makes perfect apple pie

You eat the arils, not the rind. Cleaning arils from the fruit is a bit of a chore. The method I use is similar to these: Pomegranate Pomegranate: best opening technique - YouTube, Best way to remove seeds from a pomegranate - YouTube. After doing it several times, it becomes pretty efficient. I clean arils from a couple of fruits into a bowl and then eat them with the spoon. For me, getting a spoonful of arils is a better way to experience the taste than eating arils one by one.

Wonderful has medium-soft seeds, you can either eat them or spit out. Some varieties have very soft seeds, you can eat the arils without even noticing seeds are there.

2 Likes

Tried my first gooseberries. Purchased from whole foods. I thought they were pretty good. Not great but certainly edible. Nice texture and citrusy taste. Daughter didn’t like them but my 2 year old boy helped me mow through the pack. He’s a fan. Doubt I would consider growing them as they aren’t as good as blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries.

1 Like

Collected almost all of my Pakistan mulberry leaves to make some tea.

It tastes good, flavor is peppermint like and it smells like hay :smiley:

Cape gooseberries are ‘ground cherries’ and grow in a leafy lantern. Gooseberries are a different berry.

1 Like

? All o know is that the sign said gooseberries.

what a tragedy selling them with out the paper husks. I planted Golden berries from a pack of seeds several years ago and they reseeded in the same spot for nearly 10 years. I personally could never taste anything more then a little insipid flavor. But my now wife and everyone else except 1 uncle of mine absolutly thought they where bursting with flavor. So I never had a reason to complain. I guess my taste buds just cant detect what they do. Now recently I have started seeing them in the grocers not just WholePaycheck™ and I can taste quite a bit more flavor then I used to. They do not seem to be stocked long so if you want that cultivar you best better go back for another pack quick. www.tradwindsfruits.com has several cultivars of both Physalis peruviana and Physalis pruinosa. I am not sure if my lack of being able to detect the flavor is more species specific.

1 Like

this is not gooseberry.gooseberry usually ripen in spring/summer. This year I grow similar looking berry called Picchu berry, judge from the leafs, fruits shape,and plant, I think it is a type of ground cherry

I just did some reading and this does appear to be a cape gooseberry. For those of you that have tasted both how do they differ? Which one typically taste better?

I like real gooseberry,more flavor. it is a hardy bush, very easy to grow.makes great gooseberry jam

1 Like

Totally different. A gooseberry tastes a bit like a red currant but they are the size of large marbles and are juicy. Cape gooseberry tsstes more like subtle mango to me and has a texture that is denser.

I couldn’t pass these up today… Darn Costco. I always leave that place with some fruit than I really need.

Maybe I will make a persimmon chiffon pie if I can’t eat though all of them. Mmm… yum. Though these kaki’s aren’t perfect substitutes for virginiana in a pie.

1 Like

I’m not sure! I had never heard of a Mazzard cherry and just looked it up on Wikipedia. It sounds like a strong possibility, though. I will have to take a closer look soon. Sorry for the delayed response. I haven’t been on here recently.

Haha. Ain’t that the truth. That is the first time I’ve shopped at Whole Foods. That had some non-traditional fruit including Cherimoya. But I didn’t feel like refinancing my home in order to try one. We also stopped at a Trader Joes on saturday which was a first for us as well. Store was much smaller than I imagined. Got a few interesting things there that I hadn’t seen before. Named Fig Creme soda which I have not opened yet. Sounded interesting though.