What is everyone eating from their orchard today?

Going to be a good apple year in Wisconsin…my trees (2 large bearing apples//mcintosh/cortland) were sprayed once and then i gave up (PC damage was bad)…and they still held a pretty good crop (trees dropped a ton of fruit earlier).

Biggest Superior plum on the branch…my two kids ate it…

Lots and lots of pears (Seckel)…Honey sweet (bottom) also has a bunch

Melons still no ripe…Herbs have done well…Zinnias, sunflowers, nicotiana, poppies, etc etc…a hummingbird was out there while i was taking some pics.

4 Likes

Everything looks terrific!!! I am so jealous of the melons; they are fabulous. How do they taste? I also have pear envy!

Looks your plan came all together. Looks nice and delicious!

Thanks. Yes it is too bad it is a vigorous tree and I thinned it heavily. Hopefully it will produce fruit this great in the future

Haven’t tried them yet… i really not sure what variety they are at this point because i can’t remember what we planted… so i’ll have to guess a little and see what i’ve got… still have plenty of time and we’ve got some hot weather in the forecast to help ripen them.

Lot of monarchs… i have a few milkweed plants going and a lot of zinnias for them to feed on. Also have been buying a few purple coneflower plants every year to expand my bed. I love them.

The Rudbeckia in the back is all wild…grows everywhere around here… but i let some go just to fill in. I love flowers as much as i love growing fruit. Something about watching the bees/butterflies…i try to give them a refuge from the lawn deserts.

4 Likes

We’re getting to the best time of the year- everything is getting ripe!

Bubblegum Plums (15-16 brix)- I like these, but they aren’t to everyone’s tastes. I gave a coworker some of this and a contender peach and she preferred the peach hands down (it was good too). This has an “artificial taste” to it. I’m guessing that is why it is called “bubblegum”…

Faith seedless grapes (14-15 brix)- Not a super interesting flavor, but tastes like a very good black grape from the grocery store. The main problem I’ve had is that 90-95% of the crop was eaten by something. Only a few unripe grapes were left. This bunch was protected by a bag and must have been overlooked by whatever is munching on them.

St Edmunds Russet (14-16 brix)- Best early apple I’ve had. Flavor reminds me of a Golden Russet. The texture is a bit looser and more crumbly than some may like, but it is a real treat.

Contender peach (13 brix)- nice snappy flavor with an almost crisp texture. The recent rains must have swelled it to near splitting.

3 Likes

Bob the grapes look great. How long ago did you plant it? Peaches look great too as do the plums. I love the Russet apple.

Bob-

Contenders look excellent…how many years have you cropped it? everything else looks great. Those grapes look pristine. I had problem with grapes in the past with everything eating them…birds, bees, beetles, little kids…

I planted the grapes last year. Faith and Jupiter put on massive growth and had a lot of grapes which were almost entirely eaten. I think I got more from the 1 bunch that Jupiter had the first year, than I’ve gotten from 20+ bunches this year. The other vine growing with them, Gratitude, put on a lot of growth the first year, but had quite a bit of winter die-back. I planted the other UoA vines in other parts of the yard, and all grew OK, but not as well as those 3 (looks like a good spot for grapes- full sun on a somewhat dry hill which gets rain run-off from the driveway).

I grew it in a pot for a year, then planted the fabric pot last spring and got a couple small peaches last summer (13-15 brix from my notes). So this year is the first real crop.

Yeah, I lost most of the other grapes. But growing them in plastic bags seems to work pretty well. Of course, I lost some of the bagged ones as well.

When I sprayed the peaches with MFF around the start of July, I gave the grapes a quick spritz as well. It looks like it has helped with black rot- I got a ton of it on the unknown seeded grapes along the fence in past years. This year, I don’t see any except a few which are low to the ground that I may have missed. I’m sure animals will get most of them, but when I look at it, I think how massive the harvest would be (~50’ of a wall of grapes)- it would be a lot of juice, as I’m not thrilled with seeded grapes if they are smaller than a plum (muscadines are worth the seeds).

Unfortunately I have nothing to eat from my trees. I just wanted to be the 500th person to reply to this thread . Lol

4 Likes

SANTA ROSA PLUMS

REDHAVEN

HARDIRED NECTARINES
Drippin’ Juicy, sweet, strong flavor/ aroma

… and more Saturn peaches and Necta Zee nectarines which are much sweeter this week than last week.

Happy neighbors aplenty here!

Mike

2 Likes

The raccoons get my grapes every year!
I also get some kind of worm in some. I found if the grape has a black dot on it, it has a worm inside it.

swd?

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaa! What beautiful looking fruit! Drooling in RI! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

These are my ‘Pristine’ apples. They were a little slow in ripening this year, but they are great! The skin is thin, they are very juicy, sweet with a bit of tartness. I look forward to these ‘August’ apples, as the rest of my apples do not come in until October. My Pristines make a great tart too! There are still more on the tree. I have to pick daily or the squirrels will get them!

7 Likes

Mrsg47,

Beautiful harvest and yummy apple pie!

1 Like

:kissing_heart:

Look at this yummy apple pie, I want a piece :yum:

I like how you made the pie. I want a piece. It looks yummy! They apples look good too.