What is everyone eating from their orchard today?

They are sweet and very juicy. My favorites are Chojoro, Yali, Tennoshui, Shinseiki, and Korean Giant.

Tony

Yesterday, there’s a small Hosui dropped on the ground. I picked that up, cleaned and tried it with my wife. It’s sweet and quite ready with fragrant!

So today, I went out and cut few more to try. But it’s not quite ready yet. In a few more weeks…

4 Likes

Tony whats your 2nd pear there? It looks part European but not like I thought Tennosui looked.

I’m a bit surprised you guys have asian pears ripening, last I checked mine are not there yet.

The second photo is Mishirasu pear and the 3rd photo is Tennoshui (Greenish ).

Tony

MY asian pears are still unripe yet. I think they usually ripe sometime in Sept, Oct. depends on the weather. I recall Korea Giant ripens very late by end of Oct. one year.

I have Mishirasu but they don’t have the splotched russet like that… I guess its a climate thing.

I checked my pears one more time to be sure and found my Shinsui is ripening now. Yum!

Yes, at WNY, most Asian pears ripe at middle Oct. and Korea Giant at end of Oct. At my northwest China hometown. We enjoy pears at around middle Oct too. Jujubes also ripe at similar time when we have the traditional Chinese festival (middle autumn festival).

1 Like

Shinseiki is the first to ripen here in Zone 5, Omaha, NE. 8-1-15. Next is Shinko then Chojoro. Korean Giant is the latest to ripen.

Tony

Good looking pears @Auburn! How do you find the flavor on the moonglow pear? I’ve heard that in California they are pretty bland, but may be delicious elsewhere. I have a moonglow graft growing on my Winter Nelis and am wondering how much advantage to give it. Then again, any home-grown pear is better than any store pear!

1 Like

Bunch of splash are starting to ripen… Since nothing else right now is ripe I’m eating a few of them here and there…kids seem to like them.

1 Like

Moonglow is a little bland here also. I first though it was just due to me not knowing when to pick them. Bill

I’m getting two great peaches in now … Zin Dai Jiu Bao, a fantastic white and Ernies Choice, a great yellow peach. Ernies is a perfect looking peach with a bit of an almond shape to it. Zin Dai is a big round ball, usually completely clean but it got a touch of peach scab this year.

Carman is also ripening. Some of them are fantastic, but some are not ripening evenly and they have bitterness in the skin. I might need to wait longer to pick them.

4 Likes

Scott those look great. Is the Chinese peach a graft?

Yes, its another great peach I got from the ARS repository. If you want scionwood PM me this coming winter.

The peach is from Taiwan. It is similar to peaches I have seen in markets in China - they are relatively firm when picked and need to sit for several days before eating. If it was not cling it would be a fantastic market peach here, they would get to market in good shape since they stay firm for several days after picking.

1 Like

Its a beautiful looking peach! I’ll be top working my seedling peach this next spring, so I have plenty of room!

Scott, They both look delicious :yum:. I want to continue to sharp my grafting skill and rework my reliance to multi variety tree. I might PM you in the in the winter

Just pick some State Fair apples and Shinseiki Asian pears before the coons and possums beat me to it.

Tony

4 Likes

Picked my first Flavor Supreme. It was not completely ripe but it was split and green mold was developing. It was in a zip locked bag. The tree has never been firtilized yet it grows too fast. Only had about 2 inches of rain this July yet the FS was very juicey. Myro 29c root stock. Growing in very Sandy soil. Flavor was OK but I’m hoping it will be better as the few survivors ripen. Only started with 12 pluots.

Sweet sixteen Apple it was our first and probably picked early but we ate it all

5 Likes

Nice model for the apple!