What is everyone eating from their orchard today?

Scott-

Raritan is good in that it is super reliable and produces very clean peaches with basically no spray…even PC leaves it alone (as it does most of my peaches except the donuts).

Did you send me Foster? I think you did… I’m pretty sure i have a graft of that going (several)…

Unknown plum, 28 brix, delicious.

3 Likes

Is that a Euro Murky? It looks just like my Pearl plums and it also could be Oullins or another Gage type plum. I am getting a few Gages in now, most are rotting but not all.

Scott, I think it is a gage. It was already established when I moved into my house 5 years ago.

I have Oullins on a different tree. It produced one fruit that was larger and grainier textured and probably in the 22 brix range, also delcious with more apricot flavor than this one.

This one looks almost like a jelly candy inside, doesn’t it?

Picked the rest of my Mericrest…bees were stinging them…squirrels found them… Good nectarine. I’ll probably graft so i have a second tree.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/franktank232/media/IMG_4367.jpg.html

Picked a couple of Superior plums that just about fell off the tree. Delicious. If only the skin of these was better they would be one of the best plums (at least from what i’ve tasted/grown). Flesh was the color of a mango. This one was thick enough that i cut the flesh from the skin just so i could get a better reading on the taste…man these are good. You really need to thin them hard so they get nice and huge.

Ate some more pluots, some Tangos (delicious…)… Raritan Rose (above)

2 Likes

Warm,

Your Superior plum looks AWESOME!

Thanks. I removed my Superior tree a few years ago and grafted a bud onto this Puget Gold which has grown out nicely the past few years. A total of maybe a dozen fruit…it is really a variety that should be thinned very hard to get big meaty plums …they do ripen quickly and drop easily when ripe…and will crack very easily. A great home variety. I have a few big ones left to eat.

Unknown yellow fleshed peach variety sweet very good flavor

6 Likes

MP.

Good looking yellow peaches. Too bad that you don’the know the variety.

Tony

Going to be a good apple year in Wisconsin…my trees (2 large bearing apples//mcintosh/cortland) were sprayed once and then i gave up (PC damage was bad)…and they still held a pretty good crop (trees dropped a ton of fruit earlier).

Biggest Superior plum on the branch…my two kids ate it…

Lots and lots of pears (Seckel)…Honey sweet (bottom) also has a bunch

Melons still no ripe…Herbs have done well…Zinnias, sunflowers, nicotiana, poppies, etc etc…a hummingbird was out there while i was taking some pics.

4 Likes

Everything looks terrific!!! I am so jealous of the melons; they are fabulous. How do they taste? I also have pear envy!

Looks your plan came all together. Looks nice and delicious!

Thanks. Yes it is too bad it is a vigorous tree and I thinned it heavily. Hopefully it will produce fruit this great in the future

Haven’t tried them yet… i really not sure what variety they are at this point because i can’t remember what we planted… so i’ll have to guess a little and see what i’ve got… still have plenty of time and we’ve got some hot weather in the forecast to help ripen them.

Lot of monarchs… i have a few milkweed plants going and a lot of zinnias for them to feed on. Also have been buying a few purple coneflower plants every year to expand my bed. I love them.

The Rudbeckia in the back is all wild…grows everywhere around here… but i let some go just to fill in. I love flowers as much as i love growing fruit. Something about watching the bees/butterflies…i try to give them a refuge from the lawn deserts.

4 Likes

We’re getting to the best time of the year- everything is getting ripe!

Bubblegum Plums (15-16 brix)- I like these, but they aren’t to everyone’s tastes. I gave a coworker some of this and a contender peach and she preferred the peach hands down (it was good too). This has an “artificial taste” to it. I’m guessing that is why it is called “bubblegum”…

Faith seedless grapes (14-15 brix)- Not a super interesting flavor, but tastes like a very good black grape from the grocery store. The main problem I’ve had is that 90-95% of the crop was eaten by something. Only a few unripe grapes were left. This bunch was protected by a bag and must have been overlooked by whatever is munching on them.

St Edmunds Russet (14-16 brix)- Best early apple I’ve had. Flavor reminds me of a Golden Russet. The texture is a bit looser and more crumbly than some may like, but it is a real treat.

Contender peach (13 brix)- nice snappy flavor with an almost crisp texture. The recent rains must have swelled it to near splitting.

3 Likes

Bob the grapes look great. How long ago did you plant it? Peaches look great too as do the plums. I love the Russet apple.

Bob-

Contenders look excellent…how many years have you cropped it? everything else looks great. Those grapes look pristine. I had problem with grapes in the past with everything eating them…birds, bees, beetles, little kids…

I planted the grapes last year. Faith and Jupiter put on massive growth and had a lot of grapes which were almost entirely eaten. I think I got more from the 1 bunch that Jupiter had the first year, than I’ve gotten from 20+ bunches this year. The other vine growing with them, Gratitude, put on a lot of growth the first year, but had quite a bit of winter die-back. I planted the other UoA vines in other parts of the yard, and all grew OK, but not as well as those 3 (looks like a good spot for grapes- full sun on a somewhat dry hill which gets rain run-off from the driveway).

I grew it in a pot for a year, then planted the fabric pot last spring and got a couple small peaches last summer (13-15 brix from my notes). So this year is the first real crop.

Yeah, I lost most of the other grapes. But growing them in plastic bags seems to work pretty well. Of course, I lost some of the bagged ones as well.

When I sprayed the peaches with MFF around the start of July, I gave the grapes a quick spritz as well. It looks like it has helped with black rot- I got a ton of it on the unknown seeded grapes along the fence in past years. This year, I don’t see any except a few which are low to the ground that I may have missed. I’m sure animals will get most of them, but when I look at it, I think how massive the harvest would be (~50’ of a wall of grapes)- it would be a lot of juice, as I’m not thrilled with seeded grapes if they are smaller than a plum (muscadines are worth the seeds).

Unfortunately I have nothing to eat from my trees. I just wanted to be the 500th person to reply to this thread . Lol

4 Likes