What is going on today 2017?

PM sent

I have used this method on some stumps. Works great and burns down below soil level.

2 Likes

Yesterday I installed trellising at my work garden. 110’ long (50’ and 60’) by 7’ tall. Nothing like pounding in 10’ lengths of conduit from a 10’ ladder that is sinking in the mud!

11 Likes

Ampersand, I previously stood on top of a ladder and use a sledgehammer to drive in 10’ conduit but started using a fence post driver standing on a 3-4’ step ladder to get the pounding started, made the job much easier and safer.

Garden looks awesome!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RED-Fence-Post-Driver/39109691?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1074&adid=22222222228026966726&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=56103689889&wl4=pla-88720076889&wl5=9010769&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112561796&wl11=online&wl12=39109691&wl13=&veh=sem

2 Likes

Yeah, I planned to get one, but I wanted to do this before the ground froze today. It’s done, no big deal.

1 Like

Did you have some help? Looks like you got them all straight. I got a family member to hold one of those 2 way levels against the conduit to make it was going in straight and level as I was pounding but there may be a better way to do it

1 Like

This week I “planted” pumpkins.

6 Likes

I did that too, but the deer ate them.

Help? What’s that?

But seriously, no one was around to help me. I just eyeballed it. The conduit has a little flex, so as I attached each section of trellis it was pulled straight.

1 Like

Looks great ampersand. The materials are difficult for me to acquire here.

Clark, it’s actually concrete remesh, used for reinforcing concrete. Should be available at any hardware store, I got a 150’x5’ roll for around $100 at Lowe’s. The posts are 10’ x1" electrical conduit, $3 or so at Lowe’s. Some galvanized wire to fasten it. The remesh openings are 6", I’d prefer a little smaller, but it will work.

1 Like

Anticipating the year I have enough Goldrush and Pink Lady apples to keep for winter and early spring snacking. My Arkansas Black are holding up well. They might not last much longer before all are consumed. If your turned off by fresh ARK BL they might end up being good tasting to you with an extended storage period. They have gone from tart/sweet to a good balance of sweet/tart over about 2.5 months in the refrigerator.

2 Likes

We’re supposed to be getting snow tonight, and I had to shoo a heron out of my yard on his way to my koi pond. I rebuilt the pond to be deeper with steep sides in the hope of discouraging herons, but I don’t know how successful I was, and I don’t want to find out!

2 Likes

Realfeel temp is at negative 5 degrees Fahrenheit this morning. Not a good time of year to be working 7 days a week. At least some of my fig cuttings just rooted. Now, off to work…

3 Likes

We hit zero last night, the coldest night of te season so far. We are heading into a warm up now. I hope this will put the coldest days behind us but that may be silly of me.

2 Likes

Okay, so bare root season has arrived here in S. California. Un-boxed my Trees of Antiquity apple trees. Holy moly. Talk about caliper. These trees must be 3 years old. Really thick. And, very nice form, but I may prune out that central leader, and leave them as open vase. They are Black Limbertwig, King David & Lady Williams (in order, left to right):

To give you a little perspective on the caliper, about 3/4":

And, here is one of my 6GM25 cherry trees. Picked it up at my local garden center. Came back home, checked my emails, and Bay Laurel confirmed they are shipping my other one (was on a waiting list, they weren’t sure if the trees all would come in, or be in good enough shape to sell):

It’s a whip, but the caliper is decent, and the root system is wonderful. So, not that disappointed at all. Going in the ground today or tomorrow

Patty S.

13 Likes

Those were likely budded in June 2015. In your climate if you tried you could do that in one yr. I grew some trees for Ray budded this past spring that were nearly that caliper when shipped recently. Those were stone fruit on K1 grown in a pot.

And I might add the K1 wasn’t planted until spring 2016. An established root would push growth even faster.

1 Like

Wow, the graft unions look VERY mature to me. But, guess we’re very lucky to have incredible growing conditions here in California. They all are really nice, well developed, good branching, shipped in a bomb-proof box (it was a work out trying to break it down to get it in my recycle bin). Very pleased with the quality of both TofA and the DWN cherry. I found out that 6GM25 is from the same lineage as MInnie Royal and Royal Lee. But, it’s self-fruitful. That is interesting to me. Can’t find any patent info on this new cherry, I know patent is still pending, so maybe that’s why nothing come up in a Google search that I can find.

1 Like

Those three apple trees look great, i went and picked mine up last year and they were nowhere near that quality.

2 Likes

Wow… What I wouldn’t give to be planting those fruit trees! Right now it’s 14 degrees here, going down to 10 tonight. Hopefully the coldest of the season. Wouldn’t want to see many of these nights. Going through some construction at home and this cold weather isn’t helping. Had to check into a hotel to stay warm. Overall tough time for the kids and us. I would like to fast forward 2 months. How nice it would be to have a warm home and not have to move around.

2 Likes