What is going on today 2017?

yes, they did. the recs were according to the crop being grown there. in the poor plots most of the recs were 3lb of 10-10-10 per 100 sqft, and 10lb of lime for same space. in the corn plot, they just rec’ed something like a few pounds of 25-0-0, and no lime.

i still don’t know why they don’t show the N levels. is this because it’s hard to measure it accurately? they used the Mehlich 3 protocol, whatever that is, maybe that test doesn’t show N.

I’m really surprised they are shipping it already. I see you are in the suburbs of Chicago, I am only one zone colder and Stark Bro’s isn’t shipping my stuff until April 13th. Is your ground even thawed enough to dig a hole? Mine’s not even close. . .

I will miss ordering all of my new trees with you all. This is the first year in 11 years I have not placed an order. plenty to do though!

2 Likes

This is the last week Bay Laurel can ship. In CA all trees are coming out of dormancy. They do not have the cold storage to keep it dormant. Just heel it in till you can plant. Keep this in mind if in the east. This is always the last week they can ship. Grow Organic was a month ago, I will not order from them. At least now I could plant. I just got a tree today from Henry Fields, not exactly planting time! I assume they are having the same issues. It’s a Bush Cherry, so I’ll just pot it up till I can plant.

Thanks for the explanation Drew!

I only know as it happened to me too. I asked Michigan State University what i should do? They told me to plant it out as soon as ground is workable. The trees were showing pink too, the flower buds died from the cold, but the trees are still here. Indian Free, Spice Z Necta-plum, and Arctic Glo. Weather was similar to how it is now. Some trees it’s our only way on the east coast to obtain them.

Some do, I myself don’t like fall planting, as I only ordered two in the fall, and both died the next spring. I just got unlucky, your trees should be fine. Keep the roots moist, and lay them horizontal. Vertical stimulates growing hormones. If you have a garage, or a way to stop the roots from freezing.
When I got my trees, it was drier than now, and the ground was workable. So I just put them in. If muddy wait, lay them down. Or pot them up for now too, if you can handle growth (have light for them). What did you get? I like Bay Laurel, even though the roots were cut up the trees did fine.
A way to protect roots is pot them up, and just lay it down, same as heeling in, just using a pot.Get them in as soon as you can.

Cut in half four lilicoi and shared it with my husband telling him about juice at the Mauna Kea in Hawaii in the early eighties. He loved it seeds and all. They finally made it to our supermarket! Sublime!

Yes, thanks to our faux spring, the ground is pretty well thawed

On earlier occasions I was able to get bareroot trees shipped in fall and generally they did well enough. Lately, this practice has ebbed.

So, your soil is more alkaline than ours, in general? I couldn’t believe ours would be that low. The plot I was going to use for blueberries may not need much acidifying after all.

You grow blues, right? What kind of amendments did you need? I know your soil’s different, just curious.

Yes, the west side of the state is all sand and acidic, my side is either yellow or grey clay loam with a pH of about 6.5[quote=“subdood_ky_z6b, post:390, topic:8428”]
You grow blues, right? What kind of amendments did you need? I know your soil’s different, just curious.
[/quote]

I use pine bark, peat moss, equal amounts or so. You can grow them in pure bark or moss. I also add a little diatomaceous earth the size of perlite. It holds water, yet allows air flow. In raised beds. The bottom is garden soil, maybe 4 inches I mound the bed as high as possible. I mulch with whatever I have, I try to use pine straw. I don’t add sulfur to the new beds, but I have some now that are older and have some regular soil in them, so the pH slips after 8 months or so. So once a year I add a little and chelated iron, I use Holly-Tone for fertilizer and once a month also give them a boost with ammonium sulfate. That also acidifies the soil. I will test all the beds soon to see where I’m at. I’m building another one for a blueberry. I have the plant, it’s in a pot for now, till the bed is done. It works well for me. It’s important to make sure you use a good fertilizer as the medium is nutrient poor. I do mulch with leaves too to add some nutrients. I have three in ground, and will have a fourth soon. I also have 6 plants in containers. Mix is 2 parts pine, 1 part moss, 1/3 part (or less) DE, and nothing else. So 10 plants total.
My raised beds are basically attached pots. A soil sample would probably show I need everything. As the medium has zip, just depends how I fertilize.Some nutrients from decomposing leaves.

Here’s Chandler last summer in an older raised bed, it’s a beast!

Liberty is a good producer. My dog chewed up this plant, only a couple older canes survived, it needs help, I’m going to watch it this year, get it growing better with heavy pruning, and plenty of food. It still produces no matter what.

3 Likes

Not sure where you got that information, but Bay Laurel and Grow Organic are both still shipping. I spoke to Bay Laurel on Monday and I spoke to Grow Organic today. Both assured me that their trees are still dormant and of course if there is a problem the both have guarantees. While Grow Organic’s policy says you have to report the problem by June 1, if a tree hasn’t leafed out by then its probably dead, and if it dies after that it might be the customers fault. They’ve always been a good source for Dave Wilson Trees for me since no one locally carries them.

It’s the 2nd line on their website, right under their name, I got the info from them directly.

Grow Organic starts shipping in December, and does still have about 1/3 of it’s stock. Not sure how long they will keep shipping? My guess is to Monday. But I would bet if you ordered, your trees are already shipped.
Your comments assume I don’t like these nurseries, or should not order from them. It was not meant like that in anyway. Most of the trees I have are from Bay Laurel! I myself will not order from Grow Organic as they state they start shipping in December first come first serve, Shipping cannot be delayed. I do not want my trees in December, that would be a complete disaster for me.

I’m only talking bare root, potted stuff ships year round.
OK, I looked again, and shipping ends the week of March 6th, so they are shipping till the 11th.They state to hurry and order.

Most people long ago ordered, so yes they will ship out now, but bet by March 15th all trees are marked sold out for the season on both sites. So I got it wrong by a week.

You know next time I order from Grow Organic maybe I will wait till this week, to make sure they send them out as late as possible. BL honored my request to ship the last week of shipping. Grow Organic does not give that option, but now would be a great time to order from them. They clearly state Shipping cannot be delayed, so buyer beware if you order any earlier.

Note what it says on Grow Organic by the December 14th icon

You first said you would not order from grow organic, Then after my post you said you would be ordering from them. So I guess I got confused by that. But either way, I was just trying to help people who- like me- might want to put in a last-minute order for something they wanted. You also said Grow organic stopped taking orders a month ago and Bay Laurel was also not taking them now. I was afraid if people read your post they would think they had lost their chance to order from either of those 2 nurseries, but that would be wrong since they still had at least a week or more to place an order from these nurseries. That’s all…just trying to the correct information out there since I’d just talked to both companies. As someone who just ordered from both companies this week, I know some of us appreciate every day we can get to decide on that last tree or two we might want to try this year! haha

Yes, I was not clear. I said next time, last time was for supplies. I may order trees, like right now, this time of year, if I want trees. Thanks for pointing out they are still for sale. At least for a week or so.[quote=“thecityman, post:394, topic:8428”]
So I guess I got confused by that.
[/quote]

Heck I’m confused by that!? I meant I don’t order trees because of the early delivery and unable to set a date. Right now is OK for me, although I can’t plant for two weeks, i can heel or pot up for 2 weeks.
My post was about why Bay Laurel delivered trees this week (I got that wrong too, it’s next Tuesday!), and I think I’m correct as to why. No cold storage, trees will start to grow mid-March, so they end bare root shipping mid-March. looks like the 11th this year.

Sometimes a simple short answer is best, all by babbling made my statements unclear.

Vaughn Nursery was kind enough to hold off until this coming week. I don’t expect them to hold off longer as they too have a business to run.

Will take measures when they arrive to store/plant as needed.

It’s always muddy here in the spring. Fact of life

Got Mericrest on Citation [see above, mud]

It’s wet here in the spring too, this year is worse than normal. I won’t plant in this.

I did some pruning on my peach tree. It may die of old age before I get pruning figured out.

6 Likes

No Problem. And we all know I always give short answers and never babble on. Now if you’ll excuse me I need to move before lightening strikes my chair for making that claim!

I hope a lot of the rest of you are having weather like we had the last few days. Today was sunny and 70 degrees. My project today was going around to all my tree and making sure they had good labels. That meant extending the wire on some to accommodate tree’s growth in last year or two, putting first permanent labels on some trees that still had nursery tags (some for over a year), replacing tags that have just disappeared (probably fell and got mowed, etc), and so on. I do have a paper map of my orchard in my records that identifies the history of each tree (variety, rootstock, date of planting, source, etc). But- and wonder if others are this way- I just really love having that information hanging right there on the tree. I usually know the variety from memory but its especially handy to remind myself at a glance how old the tree is, where I got it, what it is on, etc. There are several threads here about the best labels to use. I like the aluminum ones with cardboard inside that you can engrave with just an ink pen. I replace the tiny junk wire that comes with them and hang them using a big hoop of coated copper wire that I put against the trunk on a low scaffold. I make the loop so large I think the tree will never fill it…but it does! Anyway,for those who haven’t done this particular maintenance duty, you might want to think about it. We probably all have a tree or two that we refer to as "that apple/peach/pear that I forgot (or lost) to label. That is no fun.

1 Like