What is going on today 2017?

@thecityman, you ought to find her old orchard and see if she can remember the tree, to get a scion or two…

1 Like

Great idea and don’t think I didn’t ask. Turns out they cut the whole orchard down and turned it into tobacco patch land in 1975. So that particular fluke is forever lost to history!

I’m pretty sure I have a sport branch on a reliance peach I noticed last year because the blooms looked very different. I meant to follow up and check. It’s unlikely rootstock because it’s to far up. It’s an old tree one of the first I planted.

1 Like

I don’t have examples for peaches, but it happens in other stone fruit: Steindorf Blenheim and Autumn Royal apricots are both sports of Blenheim, Broken Heart plum is a sport of Elephant Heart.

Yes, all plants can have sports. The last two I heard was a variegated raspberry plant, and a fig that threw a variegated branch. The guy with the fig gave away cuttings of it without knowing at first, a rare fig as is. Martinenca Rimada, all rimada have variegated fruit, but not foliage, seems they do throw off variegated branches from time to time.
Yellow raspberries are sports, Kiwi Gold is a sport of Heritage discovered in Australia. Impossible to find anymore. It’s great! Too bad. I crossed a yellow Anne with a red Polka raspberry Offspring could be anything from yellow to red and everything in between. I had 5 plants and 4 died on me. One grew 3 feet from seed, amazing, unheard of. It will fruit for the first time in a few months. Hoping for a good color variation, looking for a deep orange. I’m going to do more crosses this year, with Josephine and Fall Gold.
In one of the fruit documentaries on saving heirloom fruit trees it was stated that 90% of heirloom fruits are gone forever.
I had a white blackberry, Nettleton’s Creamy White. It had a terrible after taste to it. I grew it three years hoping something would change. I pulled it last year. It is super rare, but I needed the space,and decided not to try and grow it to save. Hope others are, I don’t have the time nor space. I did keep Burbank’s white blackberry though. It’s a very small fruit, but extremely sweet and tasty. Funny too the leaves look like hemp leaves. Hope the neighbors don’t see it! The kid’s might steal it!
Blackberries are hard to get rid of! If some sucker made it of Nettleton’s and comes up, I’ll leave it.

Happy Pi day!!! 3.14(1592…)

5 Likes

It is blowing like stink outside right now. The house has shaken a few times. The house was built from fir in 1893 and has a slate roof. 40 knot gusts at least. Better to have left my trees un-covered!

1 Like

All this talk of sports is so interesting. My Cot n Candy aprium has some white flowers that are very different looking than all the other flowers.

3 Likes

The Cedar Bay Cherry I have,bloomed for the first time today.Some people consider the fruit to be the tastiest in Australia. Brady

5 Likes

Looks like a graft, not a sport.

1 Like

Definitely not a graft. All those branches in that picture are aprium branches. I do have a bunch of pluots and plum grafts on trees that are adjacent to it though.

Whoops, double posted.

Johnboy is a sport of Loring. Johnboy II is s sport of Johnboy.

1 Like

OK, where can I get one of those?

Well, the Goldcot and Sungold just bloomed. First trees of the season. I’m not sure if this was from the warm weather or the trees early blooming habit. Contender buds are also starting to get fuzzy. Also, looking forward to planting some new trees soon.

3 Likes

Oh, I just recalled another peach sport example — Lady Nancy is a sport of Jerseyqueen.

I think Lady Nancy is forever associated for me with your world record peach! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Logee’s. Brady

1 Like

Thanks, I forgot about that nursery as I looked around for it. I like to try unusual plants, sounds perfect!

1 Like

I got my Juliet from Henry fields today, I really liked the way it was packed and is a nice tree with great roots.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Great roots!

1 Like