What is going on today 2017?

Nice pics, good bokeh!

Yes california. To my untrained eye it looked like a valley carpenter bee. Here are some regular honey bees for comparison. They really seemed to like arctic star tree as well as sweet treat pluerry. Didnt see many in my flavor grenade.

3 Likes

I think that’s right.They have mainly a Southwestern range. Brady

Keep us updated on your Bush Cherries. Good luck.

My Raintree order arrived today.

My Cummins order’s arrival is also imminent.

1 Like

Thanks for the pictures, its nice to see all those non-fried blossoms since all I have is fried ones now.

One more cold night tonight and then finally spring will kick in here.

1 Like

Something i just noticed while walking the backyard orchard was the diffence in shape between flavor grenade pluot and sweet treat pluerry and other plums/pluots

This is sweet treat pluerry

and these are flavor grenade

2 Likes

They call them grenades for a reason…lol

2 Likes

Great photographs and thank you!

Not sure I’d be much different as their own retailer, but if they had a ‘dig your own’ bare root day, I’d drive the 5 hours each way for that!

1 Like

I was lucky I got mine when my yard got just dry enough to drive my tractor on the hills. The ground was thawed and they went into the ground. Now the ground is frozen and muddy at times too.

With rain coming again,(sigh). Tomorrow is the day. I need to plant a blueberry plant too, but I have to build the raised bed! I need three days as I stain the wood with an acrylic stain, you know none oil based, Soap and water cleanup. Three coats needed, so need three days just to stain. Building it take a minute, Staining takes days. A 4x4 bed for Spartan, thanks to Brady for rooting this beast, and trading for nothing special on my part, thanks bro! Spartan is almost an heirloom, well it’s over 50 years old so is as far as I’m concerned. one of the best early Northerns. I have early, mid and late season cultivars now.
Well no point in putting one coat on then it becomes wet with the rain. I’ll wait on the blueberry.

I almost picked a Spartan, but some accounts mentioned it was a fussy variety and needs almost ideal conditions. I picked a Nelson instead. But, I imagine you’ll get it going alright.

I called Indiana Berry today and they said my four blueberry and three gooseberry plants should be here next Friday (31st). That’s also when my two trees from Stark’s are due. Plus, I got an robo email from Cummins today saying my three apple trees will be shipped out next week. So, lots of toys coming in next week! The tart cherry bushes (and a gooseberry) are shipping the following week.

My soil’s still wet, but it ought to be OK to plant next week. The next three days are supposed to be rain free, so hopefully I’ll be able to take advantage of the good weather, and work on some of the garden plots. But, more rain on the way for Sunday. Can never say we’ve had to worry about a drought here for the last three years…

1 Like

The price was right :grin:
Also I have almost ideal conditions for NHB types. Far enough north they are happy. Michigan is the leading producer of Northern Highbush blueberries. Other states produce more (using rabbiteye or SHB), we used to be the biggest producer. Other states saw potential and are doing great. I expect more southern states to produce a lot in the future with all these excellent Southern Highbush plants around.

1 Like

That should be fun getting all that stuff in. I love it! My yard is full so I only add a few items each year. I expect to lose more than I add. It’s cool as I’m really happy with my choices, and I still research possible additions. I have a number of plum cultivars I would like to graft. i will keep trying till I get them all. I did add a tropical fruit tree I will have to grow inside in the winter. It likes dry air though, so is ideal for winter here if that’s the case! Australian Beach Cherry. Or Cedar Bay Cherry. Outstanding flavor. A small tree too.
I added some strawberries. Reine des Vallees alpine, one of the best clumping non running habit too.
Mesabi. AC Wendy, Archer a new one with huge berries and huge flavor and aroma. And an old French heirloom Gariguette’ . I love french cultivars of anything. The French figs are outstanding.
Mara Des Bois is too, already have been growing that a long while now. Along with White D Pineberry. I may trade a few Archer’s for Rutger’s Scarlet, I have to contact the guy to confirm the trade. I have 25 Archer strawberries coming in, if anybody want to try a few let me know. I’m looking for cuttings of Jewel Gooseberry. But will trade for just about anything. Expected delivery is May 1st. So kinda late for some.

1 Like

What r you doing up this late? Lol.

1 Like

I didn’t set my clock back yet!
My back won’t let me sleep! Hey I’m retired too, you should be sleeping!

I’m at work, at the trash burner in detroit. Fixing conveyor.

1 Like

Anyone have some guesses as to what fruit this may be? I have a little more info about it. It is definitely a nectarine and it looks to be setting heavily for a tree its size. Definitely low chill, had less than 100 chill hours. It flowered about 3 weeks after my Desert Delight and 2 weeks before my Arctic Star and Panamint nectarine.

It was sold to me as a Double Delight nectarine but there are definitely not any double flowers that formed. All the flower petals have fallen off now and there are several thumbnail sized nectarines on the tree.

I have a Desert Delight nectarine with thumbnail size fruit…can’t remember when fruits are ripe. Single flower blooms.

Just noticed you already have a Desert Delight…lol…never mind. Maybe Desert Dawn?

2 Likes