What is going on today 2017?

Thanks for the reply, Drew. Maybe I should find a shady spot for them, then. As much land as we have, we don’t have a lot of north facing slopes, or shady areas. Our land slopes down, and faces mostly to the east.

It can get into the 80s here in the summer, and I think it got to the low 90s a few days last year, so it prob wouldn’t be a good idea to put them out in full sun.

If it doesn’t rain tonight, I’ll plant them tomorrow.

What is that monster in the second pic? It’s huge. You have Poorman and Blue Velvet, right? Any others?

It’s a good feeling!!! Congrats!!

1 Like

Danube cherry is in full bloom. If it could set just 10% of this flowers I would be happy. No way I can hand pollinate them myself.

14 Likes

Congratulations, and like children, many of my grafts have brought immense joy, and a little heartache. But overall, worth every minute.

4 Likes

A good place would be between your fruit trees, that worked well for me with black currants.In my postage stamp year I space my trees at 8 feet, so at 4 feet between them are currant plants. Gooseberries/currants will get some shade from the trees.
Wherever currants work, so will gooseberries.

What a gorgeous tree! A real shame it’s a poor setter.

What!? Kidding, I have this picture of you on a ladder with a brush, no, not a good idea! Beautiful tree, you have the touch! I’m going out today and throw some pollen at Nadia, it’s almost done blooming. Really all I have for it is Satsuma 20 feet away. My pluots are 100 feet away (pollen from these is what I collected) with a 2 story house between them. My Santa Rosa is too small to bloom. Almost seedling size, may not bloom never year either.
Erdi Botermo is self fertile, you should be fine, Sometimes young trees set poorly.

Maria,

Looks like a lot of cherry pies in a couple of months.

Tony

Maybe I will have better luck with Danube. There is always hope :blush:

I was walking around the yard yesterday

So nice to see everything growing.Here I think are black raspberries that the birds planted in my old root pouches. I pulled many, but left a couple.

The Honeyberries are blooming

Introducing “Irene” a new raspberry cultivar. This plant is from seed and is only 14 months old. It usually takes 2 years to be this big. A cross between Anne and Polka
It is ahead of all my other raspberries. Has 3 or 4 primocanes coming up too.
Named after my mother. It is in where her roses used to be. I removed them, they were in bad shape. I did keep her tulips which are still going strong, she passed in 1986. This year I will be as old as my mother ever was, 61. Over 30 years, man I still and always will miss her. What kills me is she always wanted a girl, she had 2 sons. When my daughter was born she was so happy. She only saw here as a baby having passed only a year after she was born. Now my daughter is an executive at GM, she would be so proud. My daughter so much reminds me of her. She laughs just like my mother did. She always has side businesses going, just like my mother did. My mom was a trail blazer having her own business in the 1950’s. Not a common thing.

I don’t know what color this raspberry will be? Since a yellow and a red were crossed it could be yellow to red and everything in between. I was shooting for an orange color, like my mothers hair!

13 Likes

Here are my 2 Carmen Jewel cherries. My youngest daughter will help me bake some cherry pies.

Tony

16 Likes

Very good bushes for sure. And assuming that they are self fertile they should set a lot of cherries. Easy to protect from birds too, because the garage structure helps.

1 Like

That is going to be a crazy amount of cherries.

CJ just showing white here…no blooms.

My pot grown Robada apricot with a huge bloom got hit with borers again…second year in a row after a big bloom did the flowers shrivel up prematurely…found a bunch of frass around the soil line…got it all cleaned out with some wire. Hopefully the tree sends out some new growth///i’ll prune it back hard again.

1 Like

Rob.
I hoped your Robada recover. I got some Monique apricot fruits this year for the first time and can’t wait to try
them out later.

Tony

Currants are blooming. My two bushes are very large and they definitely like Nebraskan climate. It is surprising, because I was always thinking that they do better in the cooler and more humid summers. I am expecting the large crop this year.

4 Likes

Looking good Drew, this time of the year is the most exciting. It’s when we find out just what is ahead for the harvesting to come. More and more blossoms popping every day! Although I had a bunch of swollen buds on my Black Tartarian that must have died on the last freeze. My other cherries are looking great. It’s like Christmas.

1 Like

Hesse is full bloom…this tag is very fancy. I had to cut Hesse back hard…the graft was getting out of control. Very strong grower. In the picture…Hesse is the large white blooms…the smaller older blooms are Puget Gold.

Either Spring Satin or Lavina (metal tag blew off this winter)

I cut my Alderman back (i did a lot of pruning last summer) hard and it sent a little tiny shoot out…and now it flowers. I think i’ll leave them…see if that little branch can handle a couple of plums.

3 Likes

Spring Satin flowers are very small and abundantly clustered - are Lavinia the same?

Yeah…Lavina is little puffballs of flowers… I have Lavina grafted to Alderman and another plum… I had to chop back the Alderman to get more sunshine into Lavina…it was getting too shaded last year. Excellent plum.

1 Like

What a day. Mowed the back yard, back orchard and front orchard with the rider. Then mowed around the old house with pusher. Got done with that about 6, and then decided to plant the four gooseberry sticks. Finally got done with that at night fall. Just had some late supper.

I can say now that we are done with all our fruit plantings for the year. I hope.

Now it’s time to concentrate on the veggie gardens. All this planting already and I’m getting a bit burned out, but I’m sure I’ll get back into the swing of things soon.

@Drew51, a question for you: when I pruned my Jeanne gooseberry, I had a couple of two inch cuttings. Instead of pitching them, I went ahead and planted them. Do you think they’ll take? Thought I’d give it a shot.