What is going on today 2017?

It finally stopped raining, since Wednesday we have had 4 and nine tenths inches. The ground is so wet an old red bud tree in the yard tipped over

1 Like

Your trees will grow like weeds.

1 Like

These are some pictures from work.

Emerald Beaut Plum

Mariposa Plum

Dapple Supreme Pluot

Candy Heart Pluerry

Nadia Cherry Plum

Strawberries

Toyo-Nishiki Flowering Quince

Serviceberry

Korean Bush Cherry

Multi grafted Asian Pear with all Chojuro flowers showing

Most of the trees in containers are third leaf and should fruit this year.The other plants have already fruited a little before.Brady

9 Likes

Mrs Dood went out a couple mornings ago and got some new pics around the farm.

Paulownia tree starting to bloom

Lilac bush, smells very nice

Peonies about to spring open

Azaleas

Newly turned earth down in the farm orchard

Blooming dogwood

Our fearless watchdog waking up after a strenuous nap under the awaking dogwoods…

9 Likes

I hope you don’t mind me asking but what breed is your dog? He’s a cutie.

He is a dog my wife rescued from the pound about 12 years ago. This was years before we even met, but he’s lived here on the farm all those years. As far as what breed, he looks mostly German Shepherd, maybe some Chow, and maybe has a little bit of wolf or fox in him. I say wolf or fox, because he’s kinda skittish, and doesn’t respond to commands very well. He will follow my wife around wherever she goes, but rarely goes with me. He also doesn’t like loud noises like thunder or gunfire, and when we have lightning, he scrambles for cover as well.

But, he’s a good old dog, he’s got it made here on the farm, free to run as much as he wants. He chases the usual squirrel or rabbit, but somehow they always elude him…

Some more shots of him…

12 Likes

I am not going to waste my time again using copper soap (Bonide liquid copper/Cueva) for peach leaf curl. My Redhaven has a good amount of PLC. I made two sprays in the fall - one at about 3/4 leaf drop and one at full leaf drop. I made one spray this spring too with the same stuff.

I wanted to try to use this copper soap up before investing in a 4 lb bag of Kocide 3000, but I think I will need to bite the bullet late this summer.

I read a review on Amazon about Bonide’s Copper product,when looking up something for PLC.The person was also disappointed that the stuff didn’t work,because there wasn’t enough of the active ingredient.Too weak.
I did try their Chlorothalonil product,Fung-onil,with not very good results and that’s suppose to be the strongest they have to fight the fungus.
I went with Liqui-Cop this year at more than double strength and a sticker and see just a few leaves infected. Brady

1 Like

Back when I lived in upstate NY and could grow peach trees, I used Bordeaux spray on PLC and it worked rather well. Now this was 30+ years ago and things may have changed, but it wasn’t that hard to clean up PLC with the old copper based sprays. (Peach trees don’t survive up here for long, so can’t say how it would work today for me)

Lilacs, peonies and dogwoods… All my favorites. I just love them! :hearts:

3 Likes

I can definitely see the chow now that you mention it. Very unusual look. Love the pics, he definitely looks like he’s a good companion and enjoying the farm.

1 Like

I occasionally pet-sit my sister’s dog. He and I always divide up the outside chores. I do the work, and he does the resting.

6 Likes

Thanks for the comments. If I can, I’ll look for some older pics of him, his snout is all white now, but it was almost black, that’s why I think he’s part GS. I particularly like the pic of him with the horse and the snow. He liked aggravating the horse, but never hurt it. It looks cold to us, but I think he likes winter, he’s quite furry. But, because of that, I think the summer heat bothers him.

Look like your sister’s dog is very good at his job! Ours does that most of the day, too. At night, he often goes on woof-fests. Who knows what he’s barking at.

Thanks. In a few weeks, it’ll be ablaze in color here. It just takes so long for things to get going around these parts. I’ll pass along some new pics then, as well.

1 Like

I’m a little worried about my apple pollination. They bloomed just perfect and were visited by bees a little.
Then we had a short but torrential downpour that beat the blooms to the point that they no longer look like anything a bee would like. It’s also been pretty cool and I have not seen a bee on the trees since the rain.
They’ll probably be OK, I just like to worry I guess.

Yea, just worrying … It appears that they were not all open and I have a pretty good ‘second flush’.
And I saw a bee, Just one. It should warm up later…

Any idea how long apple blooms are viable for? I’ve got one blooming, and nothing else…can they hold out a few days?

I tried to plant a dogwood tree here…it bit the dust…tried again…bit the dust…I have given up. :frowning: . I will plant one up at my retal house in Washington and visit it. :slight_smile: Same with Peonies.

I have been successful with the lilacs! I will keep digging up starts and planting them EVERYWHERE.

The individual flower is probably only good for 1-3 days depending on temperatures. The only thing I’m sure of is melons one day.

The tree with plenty of chilling in WI should bloom for what 7-10 days? Down here with low chilling an apple tree blooms over weeks to months.

The true native Dogwoods are prone to anthracnose and others diseases.

You have to try the disease-resistant varieties like Catoctin Spring (rare cultivar from Maryland) and Cherokee Brave (widely available).

See next message for edit.

I meant to say “Appalachian Spring” Dogwood, not “Catoctin Spring.” I get the name mixed up because the variety was found near my property in the Catoctin Mountains (part of the Appalachian chain).