What is going on today 2017?

4 years old. I think 7-10 is when they begin bearing heavily. This tree is about 6 foot and it has maybe a dozen on it.

2 Likes

Picked some Star blueberries. Life is good :heart:

9 Likes

I had a cleome growing once that prompted the police to get out and look at it more than once. Very similar looking to pot. Some passionflower so resemble the leaf structure as well.

Scott

No idea what happened to that quote I replied to. Something about a plant that resembled pot.

Oh well… As of yesterday I’ve finally gotten all of my plants outside. Things are looking good. Hopefully, same for you.

Yes, all looks well, or most, a few disappointments. Very happy about my grafting efforts, also many plants are doing well. One blueberry is struggling, and I think it was too acidic, I corrected it, but the plant may be gone. I learned that the acidity can get fairly high in containers. i have to monitor it better. You keep giving them acidic fertilizer, and rainwater, soon the acid builds up.In raised beds, it seems not to happen. So I learned a lot. I hate when I lose anything.
I have been planting out tomatoes and peppers, very fragile still. Taking forever to get it done. I have way too many of everything!

Burbank’s White blackberry looks like pot btw.

1 Like

Prunus Americana with some Saturn peach, another peach (not sure what it is yet…no tag), an apricot (also unknown), Lavina off to the right…Satsuma is in there…spring satin branch off to the right on top… most of it is american plum still…need to do some thinning and more budding this summer.

14 Likes

All your fruit trees ahead of mine. Most of mine are not leafs out completely yet.
How is your Nadia, set much fruit so far Brady?

Yours fruit trees look great Brady.

1 Like

Thanks Vincent.The ones in the greenhouse are about two weeks ahead of the trees outside.
Nadia set a little more than last year.It’s a little difficult to tell right now,with the fruit small and some unfertilized,that will fall off.
Today,there were ants on some leaves,so after tracing them to an area and lifting up a leaf,there were Aphids almost covering the undersides of a few.Tomorrow,they will get sprayed with Neem and soap. Brady

1 Like

The silver/red tape worked great for me also. Nice long strips that really twist in the wind.

1 Like

Those look great. My Star and Oneal look like they are about 2-3 weeks away from ripening. My Star and Oneal tend to be slow growing and I was wondering how vigorous your Star is.

That is so cool. Now I wish I had a Prunus Americana to do something like that.

I think for hardiness and its ability to play with cots, peaches, plums, pluots make prunus americana tops for frankentrees around here…

K86 is in full bloom (part peach/part plum)…this was the rootstock under a peach i had that i didn’t like.noticed the rootstock was sending up shoots, so i cut off the peach and let the rootstock go… Now it’s flowering.

1 Like

Finally getting a substantial harvest of Pakistan Mulberries every day! The tree is so loaded the branches are touching the ground!

23 Likes

question:

How do birds not attack those? How are they for flavor?

2 Likes

Wow, wow, wow, if just pakistan mulberries could grow in my climate (7a). This year we did have a very mild winter but are now experiencing bad late frosts. Even my Wellington got damaged. Hardy Kiwi are a total loss. I think there is no chance I could grow those…

1 Like

How good is the taste? Looks awesome!

Tony

1 Like

I remember our neighbors had a wild mulberry when I was a kid. Not nearly so big as those, of course, but there was nothing like having a ready made snack most of the summer. I second the question-how do you keep the birds away? Or is there just plenty to go around?

1 Like

Maybe the birds haven’t figured them out yet…or the bird scare tape is working. One thing I’ll say, the reflections off that tape makes me turn my head away so it looks promising.

Now the taste is sooo good. Very wine-y and sweet too. This is the only fresh mulberry I’ve tasted though. Last year, the core tasted very woody but this year even the slightly green parts taste good.

3 Likes

Where did you order your Prunus Americana from, please?

This was from seed, but i know locally you can buy them from the state for very cheap (although i think they have a min)… I know Musser Forests, Raintree? sold them at one point…although not seeing them right now.

2 Likes