What is going on today 2017?

Best year so far for cherries (royal lee or minnie royal) exactly 3. That makes 4 in the span of the trees life of 5 years.

Arctic Star Nectarine

Kishu Mandarin

Burgundy Plum

Flavor Grenade

Flavor King

Parfianka Pomegranate

Anna Apple

13 Likes

Wow, thats a lot of ground covered! Lots of bushes too. He’s got some money wrapped up in that set up. I wonder how they will pick those too. I can’t see hand picking that many.

My guess is it must supply a good bit of Europe in those fields alone…at least for a time period. I would imagine they must have different varieties that ripen different times… who knows…its amazing amount of plants. I’d also wonder how many years they get out of those plants. I’ve had my blueberries in 7 gallon pots for a few years now…not blooming yet (this year—they’ve bloomed in the past–but the birds get them)…

I netted mine. I planted all mine in the ground five years ago. That didn’t work so well so I made one planter and threw them all in it. They are doing well ever since. I have been getting some berries for the last three years but like you the birds got to them. They eat them before they are ripe so they catch you off guard. I netted them last year and still lost some. I’ve gone to u pick and picked three gallons worth. I carried them home on my backpack riding my motorcycle about 50 miles round trip. That was a lot of work to hand pick those. I would like to take a backhoe and dig a trench. Put walls and a log floor in like posted on this forum on how to grow blueberries. Than I could have a row of them. I would cage them up like chickens if I went that far. Screw those birds!

Today, I planted a couple blueberries.

Patriot

Blueray

The poison ivy is coming out. I have resumed the careful task of pulling it out with gloves.

Here’s my hillside of bloobs-- filling out nicely:

Left to right. Front row: Climax, Rubel, Vernon, Ochlockonee, and Brightwell.

Second row: Blueray, Bluecrop, Reka, and Jersey.

Third row: Northblue, Patriot, Legacy, and unknown northern highbush.

Far top left: Bed of lowbushes: Brunswick, wild unnamed Maine lowbush, and Burgundy.

Bring on the berries!

6 Likes

A pic of my little blackberry/raspberry run. I will run trellis wire once they start growing tall enough.

8 Likes

Look so neat.

Envious of the space you have.

1 Like

Hey, do you happen to know what the brown patch is on your Flavor King? I had vaguely honeycomb patches like that on some of my plums and didn’t know what it was so I picked them off.

Here’s my favorite employee, works hard, never complains or takes a break. Although with a high temp of 39 today she’ll probably be calling in sick, can’t really blame her

16 Likes

Good pics, surprised the bees would be out when it’s so cold there. I’m trying guess what kind of tree that is. Could it be a plum?

Very nice. What varieties are we looking at, front to back?

I’d call her an independent contractor

3 Likes

Yes, Toka/Bubblegum plum. It was nice the day I took those pictures, like mid 60’s. Hopefully the rotten weather we’re getting now doesn’t wreck the fruit set.

Here’s that same tree this morning

1 Like

Rain, rain, rain, and cold. All weekend and Monday. Oh and cloudless skies for just long enough to give a frost scare. Sounds like it could be worse in N. Iowa, hopefully @warmwxrules is under clouds or windy.

I gotta get some Surround down on my apples that are in petal fall and what few plums I have, but it might be wasted. Though mitigating the risk of curc getting fruit is probably worth the wasted Surround.

Thanks. I planted the two blackberries first and raspberries last. I planted them in alphabetical order so that I can always remember which is which. My first time messing with brambles. We’ll see how it goes.

Prime Ark Freedom
Triple Crown (may be dead)
Anne
Autumn Bliss
Brandywine
Caroline
Double Gold
Heritage

Maybe my California mind is too dense to understand this, but how do you plan to water them? Is the sprinkler from the sky turned on often enough?

My guess its scarring from an insect. The only reason i didnt thin it is because flavor king did not set nearly as well as it should (it has maybe 5 fruit total on a small 2yr graft.)

Ill take a walk out and try to find another plum with similar scarring to photograph. Maybe we can get an opinion from a more experienced grower.

Looks good, I need that kind of setup when I put my four rasps in the ground. I like the idea of putting them in alphabetical order. Looks like you got all everbearers, so you’re gonna have lots of fall berries! How tall are those 4x4’s? I saw on YouTube about some guy using a cross beam at about 2ft and another at about 4ft to run the guide wires.

Just curious about where you got your blackberries, did they come from Indiana Berry? Is your TC not leafing out yet, and if so, is that why you think it’s dead? Maybe it’s just slow to awaken, even tho it prob should have by now.

I didn’t order any blacks, we have them on the farm already, and I’m not a fan of them, compared to rasps and blues.

Oh wow, I guess you watered it to cause the ice to form for insulation? I saw the forecast for St Paul tonight is about 30, so I imagine y’all are uneasy about it getting that cold. But 30 in April is not that unusual for y’all, right? I guess your trees just woke up too early?