What is going on today 2017?

I used a mosquito net on my cherry tree one year. The moisture can’t get in and out too easily. It created more brown rot issue for me. I have not use a mosquito net since.

This is not really mosquito net, it is different… If you want, stop by, look at it in real world.

I will stop by next week. I want to wait and see how it holds up against the rain for the next few days.

sure

I used tulle on my grape vine last year. Worked well for few months. Setting it up was the hard part. I’m going to try that with my peaches this year. Can you access the fruits for thinning? I usually staple it together and make it permanent and then rip it off come fall.

I can, I use that handy office clips I got from some yard sale for free time ago, whole box of them! They are most useful things!

Can you post a pic of those clips?

I did, third picture in my post above. They are not cheap at all, only reason I can use them I got a lot of them( hundreds! ) and for free. http://www.staples.com/Acco-72100-Binder-Clip-Large-1-06-Capacity-Black-Silver/product_669768

Was out walking by the fenceline that’s between the pasture and back orchard. There are old, tall apple trees out there, and they are fruiting now after blooming. We have this tree, which is a Milam, with its little fruit clusters:

However, we found fruit on another tree, which looks like an apple, but its not in clusters like a typical apple cluster. It looks like its on the tips only, not really on the branch, or spur. Here’s a few pics.

I know the fruit is too small to tell, but it does look like an apple, and it’s obviously not a Milam. Is this what you call a tip bearing apple?

1 Like

We should try that

I don’t know enough to make a good judgement. So I will just speculate. It might also be that the tree is just older and low in vigor. If it isn’t getting much light inside all the spurs might be right there out on the tips of the branches.

I tried to graft a scion from a wild tree to see what it might be like in a better environment, but couldn’t find enough 1 and even 2 year old wood to make a decent graft with, and it didn’t take.

Talking about sweet cherry. Mine two multi grafted sweet cherries fruits are looking promising. I need to spray them this weekend.

Tony

1 Like

For PC or rot?

I have 2 seedling apple trees that are both blooming…one potted and one 14 footer in the ground. .1st year for both…hoping one of them is something ok. I have noticed with both…they both have flowers right at the top of the tree…seems weird.

Today weather is uncooperative, no sun, cool and windy. My 5 tree peonies is in full bloom!

A closed-up, tenderly beautiful and pleasantly fragrant…

8 Likes

I bet those really smell good!

Hey Galina- I like the looks of that material. But it looks like you put it on during bloom time. I’m wondering if that will prevent pollination? Also, seems like it would be good material for someone like @itheweatherman who enjoys trying to cross varieties but has to guard against unwanted pollinators. Neat stuff…keep us posted.

Rob,

I will spray once and done. No problem with rot hear in Omaha.

Tony

Tom,

Very pretty. My Peony trees only on second leaf. Can’t wait until they produce flowers in a few years.

Tony

I think it is done blooming, all petals with exception of few blooms are gone. I thought it is already either pollinated or not, but will not be pollinated from that point, Am I wrong?

Is is a peach, self fertile. No need to wrporry.