What is going on today 2017?

Wait, I thought self-fertile means it doesn’t need another tree to pollinate, but it still needs pollinators, to move pollen from flower to flower.

Some new pics for yer perusal

Some spice roses, just started blooming this week.

Our fearless new hunter, guarding his new litter box (to the angst of Mrs Dood)

A new peony bloom!

One of the transplanted Am plum, looks like it’s adapting well to its new home. The other plum has just a few leaves, but still passes the bark scratch test.

New Harrow Sweet pear, new leaves already

New Maxine pear, waking up with new growth

New Blushingstar peach, doing well

New Contender peach, with new leaves

Redhaven peach, planted last year, putting on some nice new growth after some fertilizer

Coralstar peach, planted last year, reacting well to some lime and fertilizer

15 Likes

Added about 100 Ziploc bags today. This is the first year that I enjoyed bagging mainly due to using surround early and often. Nice not to feel like a bug is about to take a bite out of your fruit.

My northstar cherry is in full bloom.

7 Likes

I love Coralstar peaches.

1 Like

I just got in from the pouring rain. I was out splashing 15 five gallon buckets worth of well fed morel mushroom spores. I splashed them where they were growing plus areas that I go by in the orchard a lot. I splashed them under the deck under the stairs, and in the woods by my log pies just off the driveway. I should spot them when they grow this way, and not have to look too hard for them. I’m curious to see how well this works.

7 Likes

Whats going on today?

Rain
Flood
Wind
Cold

3 Likes

What a difference a week makes!
Mt. Royal last Thursday

Same tree today, nearing full bloom

Just waiting for mosquitoes

13 Likes

You’re right. I confused myself.

I was thinking a peach flower still needed pollen, just that it could get it from other flowers on the same tree? But that just goes to show I’m still learning! Either way, if most of the petals are falling/fallen, I think @galinas is right- either they are pollinated or they never will be. I couldn’t tell that from the photo. Either way, Galina, you obviously had already thought about all this before I stuck my nose in. HA!

EDIT: I should have real the entire thread before opening my big mouth. Sounds like we are all 3 in agreement now! Sorry, @mamuang !

Awesome, I went though a grow every root phase last year, Oca, Yacon, ulloca, masuha and sunchoke only the yacon and sunchoak survived. I wanted to grow them again this year but no time. I did invest in one called Tipi Tambo I found a grower in peuto rico willing to ship it finaly. My wife grew up eating them in Trinidad.

Actually, I am under the same impression about pollinators(bees) still needed for self fertile trees. Actually, I want to open a new topic for pollination.

You are one zone warmer than I, but what a difference. My roses just started to leaf out, peonies future blooms are not bigger than peas.

Some things spotted in the garden the last couple days:

Fireblight on my apples:

Black Knot Fungus on plums:

Flowers on my persimmon (Nikita):

I cut out the fireblight and black knot. That meant entire branches pruned back. The flowers are good news. Nice to see on the persimmon - I count about 30. But it was pretty seriously girdled by rabbits last year and it’s too small to bear this year. Trunk girth is the same as when it was planted ~5/8" I really want to leave one on there to fruit but I’ll probably pick them all off so the tree can grow larger. Next year I should be able to get a few.

2 Likes

They look OK to my untrained eyes, but how do you think they did, and will they produce any fruit?

Yes, the first rose popped open maybe last week, and the first peony bloomed yesterday. I guess they’re on schedule. Other roses are still quiet, and our Rose of Sharon trees have been leafing out for just a couple weeks. But, the hillsides are really greening up now, by Memorial Day everything is usually awake.

Keep us posted on your results, very interesting

1 Like

Finally got some rain today. .69" in the bucket! Not enough to dent the drought, but it’s a start.

My entire Italian prune plum is in full bloom. When out to the orchard this am, with my mug of coffee and I could hear the entire tree buzz. It had about six honeybees flying around make a great sound!

6 Likes

What rootstock is your Puget cot on?