What is going on today 2017?

Please help me not buy this:

http://shop.cumminsnursery.com/shop/grab-bag/various

The practical person in me says I don’t really have the room and they might not be appropriate for my area.

The impractical person in me says “APPLE TREES FOR FIVE DOLLARS!”

Added a “must have” tree today based on all the comments from this fantastic group. Many people have it in their list of top 3 trees to have if they had just 3 fruit trees to choose from. So here it is!!! The famous ILLINOIS EVERBEARING MULBERRY!!! Woohoo!! Makes me happy!! Now pardon me, someone wants me to go throw his ball a zillion times over.

6 Likes

Second leaf? Does any seed that I sent you germinate at all? If not, I can send you more if there’s any available this year!

Here is a picture of my ILLINOIS EVERBEARING MULBERRY 5-1-17 (Atlanta, GA), haven’t tasted one yet. It did the best of the 4 different mulberry varsities I have, the others were affected by a March 14th frost we had for 3 days and they were already budding so I lost most of them, the ILLINOIS EVERBEARING MULBERRY was still dormant so it’s doing great.

5 Likes

OMG… I wish I could taste them! They simply don’t exist here !!

Tom,
The six tree peonies that I bought are on their second year. They are about 2 feet tall. I planted the seeds that you sent to me a week ago. Hopefully, they will germinate. Well here is my Desert Rose blooming.

Tony

I can see he doesn’t like planting trees! My dog was so excited that I didn’t have to go to work but got real board quick too. I was rebuilding spindles for my 1973 Simplicity 48" lawn deck. I had bought an extra set from eBay and got bearings real cheap so I built all the extra tower spindles to. I had a break in the middle. I had to drive mom to her Dr appointment that they had canceled, got home finished the extras and made potato dirt then threw the ball.

1 Like

Love it!

It looks suspiciously like Bamboo…

Oh, waaaaaaaaait… :smile:

Congrats!

1 Like

Yeah, rather small right now, smaller than I would have liked. Has a lot of buds on it though. Just a whip at this point though. $20 from Burnt Ridge.

That’s where I bought mine last year, once it starts to grow it’ll take off.

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks! You have a recent pic?

Went to Ikea today. Got these net curtains for $4.99. Almost 6 yards (2 panels, each almost 3 yards)
That’s less than a buck for a yard! Last year I bought tulle to cover my grape vine. But this material is better than tulle. I figured I’ll use this to cover my peach tree. Just letting you all know in case anybody is doing netting/tulle for fruit covering.

7 Likes

Is your 1st picture is Emerald Beaut Plum? is it set any fruit for this year Brad?
My Emerald Beaut Plum looking very good but after this Winter, now I am worrying about some Japanese Plum flowers very sensitive the wet and cold and never set fruit here even my Candy heart maybe Nadia as well. They drop all most all flowers without any fruit set.

I had to go back a ways to find those pictures,but yes,the Emerald Beaut may have only a little,if any.
Are those trees of yours mentioned,still young?That could be a reason for little fruit set.
I have a Flavor Grenade in the ground,that made huge bloom clusters every year,since planting,but even after hand pollinating quite a bit,only a few pieces grew.
This time,4th leaf maybe,there are hundreds of fruit-lets and my technique really didn’t change. Brady

1 Like

My Flavor Grenade seems working well for first year. It’s about 10 fruits set on tiny tree. I will update pictures later when fruits a bit bigger Brady. Thanks for all information. Below my yard work buddy Adam picture.

9 Likes

Good way to get the width

1 Like

All my other apples have finished blooming and set fruit while the Honeycrisp is slowly starting to leaf out. Beginning to think that it just won’t work for my area. Looks like I just don’t get enough chill hours.

Hartland Cherry, first fruit from the tree, first of all three cherries to ripen a fruit. Birds got the only lapins a couple years ago right before/as it ripened.

When this is solid red can I pluck it immediately or does it need a couple days on the tree?

3 Likes

I bought a beautiful day mulberry and illinois everbearing mulberry both bare root 5-20-17 and after I planted them in pots a boring insect bored through the top of both trees and I ended up cutting about a 1.5’ out of both tops so you might want to seal the tops if their still green with some stretch tap or parafilm.

1 Like