What is going on today 2017?

Call Turtleman!

We had some of those venturing up from the barn last year during a wet spell towards the pond back behind the house. Don’t worry know why they were out, unless they were migrating up from the low, swampy area below our property.

So, we know there’s snappers in there. Our dog gets in there sometimes to cool off, so we worry about one of those nipping at him.

Thinning apricots… my Moniqui and Nectacot (gurneys) are almost blank…Puget Gold needs massive amounts of thinning.

6 Likes

I envy you. Thinning is still better than no fruits at all. I have 6 fruitlets on Harcot, 1 on Robada and Orange Red and about 4 on Chineese Sweet pit, so no thinning. Apricots got the main hit with freezes this March. Now I want Pudget Gold and Montrose scions for the next year.

2 Likes

Kewell!

1 Like

Love the pics! Turtles are pretty majestic to look at, even if they can be a nuisance. I’m always happy to see a turtle on my property. Snakes OTOH…

1 Like

Boy, any apricot looks great to me. I have three Tomcots hanging on that look good and thats it!

I got 5 on my sugar pearl. It seems that even the not so cold winter killed most of the flowering bud. Need try something else that can tolerate the cold.

I have a few Tomcot…maybe 6 …just one branch. Puget Gold is always a huge producer. My Moniqui has 5…my nectacot about the same…Robada got borers so its regrowing new branches…

Anyone in the NE better prepare for a heatwave… it’s coming…

Time to plant the melons!

Showing 80F here basically Sat-Tues…so you’ll probably be warmer… . I’m planting my peppers today.

Anne she probably just laid her eggs by your pots. Is that picture of her in a shallow hole that she made? They lay their eggs up land from water and when they hatch the babies crawl down to the water. That’s the only reason they go away from the water. That’s why you see turtles getting hit on the roads at this time of the year. A lot of people stop and pick them up and put them on the side closer to the water but they may be on their way to lay the eggs and will just cross again. They cover them up with sand so they incubate with the suns heat.

4 Likes

@warmwxrules

Rob,

When did yours flower? Those of my apricots that had any flowers were just blooming last week and I don’t even know if any fruit has set.

Mike

Plum curculio start to be active now as the weather is warming up in my area. The Experiment with IV tegaderm covering the fruits worked real well. No bites mark on them. The non spray fruits had lots of PC bite marks. I will bring out the big gun Imidan to spray the fruits with bite marks to kill the PC eggs.

Tony

2 Likes

Front to back Strawberries
Jewel (New)
Darselect (new)
Rutgers Scarlet ( last year)

then Cherries in the back
Black, Radiance and Ebony Pearl

10 Likes

Nice Seth. Love your sign.
What are the white clips on the lines for?

I was honored to give a tour of my orchard tour last evening to new member @Litsinger. I talked his ears off and he was kind enough to say each tree looked great even though many don’t! It’s always fun to show off your hard work to others who have a passion for fruit going. Most of the time when I give a tour to friends, family, co-workers, etc their eyes glaze over with boredom and a lack of understanding about why each tree is so “kool”. I encourage everyone to invite other GF members in your area to come see your trees-its as enjoyable for you as the grower/“docent” as for them as the viewer.
Thanks for coming, Russ. I enjoyed having you.

9 Likes

74F and not a single cloud in the sky. Can’t get any better then this. Low humidity.

Seeded some flowers…we’ll see how that goes. I did some zinnias, lemon mint, some other stuff. Also planted a few pumpkin seeds…long island cheese? something like that.

1 Like

oh man…they must have full bloomed mid April? its been awhile. Some are pushing quarter size. I thinned a lot. I need to spray for PC.

@warmwxrules

I need to spray for HOPE

Mike

@thecityman:

The honor is all mine. I was sincerely grateful for the opportunity to check-out all the neat stuff you have going on, and don’t sell yourself short- you’re growing a lot of things that all the “experts” say cannot be grown in our area. In addition, your perseverance in the face of some daunting challenges (not the least of which are having your orchard sprayed with 2,4-D) exemplify the can-do spirit that is so encouraging about the extraordinary individuals on this site.

Finally, thanks for the hospitality and willingness to share all that you have learned- it seems that this is the ethos of this group, and that is such a refreshing attitude.

Thanks again for the tour and inspiration- I sincerely appreciate it!

Russ

5 Likes