What is going on today 2017?

A little too early for this Desert Delight nectarine but couldn’t resist. I saw a few birds hovering over the tree this morning and was too lazy to start getting out the bird tape so I just picked it and happily ate it :grin:

10 Likes

It looks ripe enough. Congratulations, the birds normally win.

1 Like

I have a beauty plum that has been in ground for 7 or 8 years. Despite being a low chill plum, it has hasn’t really produce a lot of plums, with the exception of one year, a few years ago. The graft union bulge has gotten more and more pronounced over time. Could this be some kind of incompatibility issue and somehow related to the lack of fruit production? Or nothing to worry about? The trunk diameter is about 5 or 6 inches.

Wow, Peaches in Maine! That is great. No deer problems? Obviously not! Are those cherries or plums, if so what varieties?

Planted ‘Tempation’ everbearing strawberries (in gutters) today. Anyone have review on ‘Temptation’? Thanks!:strawberry:

I have a plum on bush cherry rootstock that looks similar. I have read that this can cause the tree to decline prematurely, but I see no signs at all of that on my tree and I am not so worried about it.

2 Likes

I grafted a Japanese plum on prunus besseyi which works great but the problem is prunus besseyi is highly susceptible to canker.

I put up a net on two large branches of the peach tree. Hopefully this won’t stunt the growth/spreading out of branches. Couldn’t cover the entire tree. I figured I’ll just have to share/fight with squirrels for rest. At least this will give us 30 or so good peaches.

Also did some thinning. Reluctantly.

3 Likes

The hot is rolling in! This is curculio weather, so I hit all the fruiting trees.

My Gala apple tree has gone biennial with a vengeance, last year not fruiting at all, this year it would take me til 2020 to thin by hand if it doesn’t start dropping heavily.

2 Likes

Thinning like crazy today.

I have one tree (Cortland) that almost every king blossom is what I would call a “double”
There are either two apples on one stem or some stems look like two stems mostly conjoined.
I have thinned most of them as I can’t see how that could be a good thing.

I’ve seen those, but it was always a very unusual occurance

My Golden Transparent Gage had many double fruits this year, maybe 1/3 of the set. I usually thin all of those out as they often drop later anyway.

My 2 bartlett pears have dropped most of their flowers…i see it as a good thing since the trees are still small and they probably held too many fruit last year. Stuff is sizing up in this heat. Need to spray the Alderman plums tonite. mid 80Fs this afternoon. The nectarins/peaches are just about ready to lose the shuck so they’ll need cover sprays very soon…same with the pluots.

This has been a long time coming. 7 or 8 years in the ground, 1 year of fruit. Time to plant something new :grin:

1 Like

You could top worked to multiple varieties either peaches, plums, or pluots. That was a nice large understock.

Tony

2 Likes

I considered it but I didn’t know what the rootstock is and I have plenty of other pluots and plums. If it was peach compatible, I’d have grafted into it.

Right now i have peaches forming on pluot (i want to say Flavor Queen==one of the green skinned ones) that is grafted to puget gold apricot that is sitting on Krymsk 86 roots…

1 Like

I found some plum curculio egg laying scars on my parents’ Contender peach today. I told my dad he needed to get his spray down as soon as possible. I left the fruit. Figured he might get lucky and the larvae won’t develop. No reason to worry too much about bolstering the curc population. 100 yards of fence row lined with P. americana about 50’ away is an unlimited curc reservoir.

1 Like

No deer problems with 7 foot netted fence. There are some breaks once in a while but repair is easy and no trees are ever damaged. Those white flowers are Underwood and Toka plums.

Today was beet harvest with imported special guest harvesters.

12.5# roots plus lots of greens.
They wanna learn to can so that’s next week.

16 Likes