What is going on today 2017?

I spent the weekend updating my database. Since it is always fun to know if anyone else grows the same thing you do, I thought I’d post my updated list for people to peruse. If you have questions about any of them, just ask. I can at least tell you what my experience has been with my fruit plants and trees. These are all full trees or independant plants, I don’t record grafts here. Here is what I have in ground. Repeats just mean I have more than one.
Arkansas Black Apple
Gala Apple
Honeycrisp Apple
Liberty Apple
Red Delicious Apple
Red Rome Apple
Unknown old apple w/multigrafts Apple
Winesap Apple
Yellow Delicious Apple

Autum Royal Apricot
Blenhiem Apricot
Golden Sweet Apricot
Manchurian Apricot
Manchurian Apricot
Moorepark Apricot

Apache Blackberry
Arapaho Blackberry
Navajo Blackberry
Ouachita Blackberry

Consort Black Currant

Bluejay Blueberry
Bluejay Blueberry
Brigitta Blueberry
Desoto Blueberry
Earliblue Blueberry
Elliot Blueberry
Gupton Blueberry
Jersey Blueberry
Northern Blueberry
Northern? Blueberry
Northland Blueberry
O’neil Blueberry
Pink Lemonade Blueberry
Powder Blue Blueberry
Premier Blueberry
Premier Blueberry
Premier Blueberry
Premier Blueberry
Sunshine? Blueberry
Sweetheart Blueberry
Tifblue Blueberry
Tifblue Blueberry
Tiftblue or Premier Blueberry
unknown Blueberry

Carmine Jewel Cherry-Bush
Carmine Jewel Cherry-Bush
Crimson Passion Cherry-Bush
Juliet Cherry-Bush
Romeo Cherry-Bush
Romeo Cherry-Bush
Montmorency Cherry-Sour
Montmorency Cherry-Sour
North Star Cherry-sour
Black Tartarian Cherry-Sweet
Black Tartarian Cherry-Sweet
Brooks Cherry-Sweet
Lambert Cherry-Sweet
Stella Cherry-Sweet
Tulare Cherry-Sweet
Van Cherry-Sweet

Chinese Chestnut

Black Mission Fig
Brown Turkey Fig
Celeste Fig
Celeste Fig
Celeste or Brown Turkey Fig
Celeste or Brown Turkey Fig
Chicago Hardy Fig
Chicago Hardy Fig
Chicago Hardy Fig
Chicago Hardy Fig
Chicago Hardy Fig
Chicago Hardy Fig
Chicago Hardy Fig
Chicago Hardy Fig
Conadria Fig
Latrula Fig
LSU Purple Fig
Olympian Fig
Unknown Fig

Hinnomaki Red Gooseberry
Oregon Gooseberry
Oregon Gooseberry
Pixwell Gooseberry

Black Manuka Grape
Catawba Grape
Catawba Grape
Catawba Grape
Fredonia Grape
lost tag Grape
Mars Grape
Niagra Grape
Reliance Grape
Vanessa Grape

Aurora Haskap Honeyberry/Haskap
Honeysweet Honeyberry/Haskap
Indigo Treat Honeyberry/Haskap
Sunrise Honeyberry/Haskap

Jostaberry Jostaberry
Jostaberry Jostaberry
Jostaberry Jostaberry
Jostaberry Jostaberry
Jostaberry? Jostaberry
Honey Jar Jujube
Sugar Cane Jujube

Black Beauty Mulberry
Native Mulberry

Spice Zee Nectaplum

Arctic Fantasy Nectarine
June Gold Nectarine
Karla Rose Nectarine
Mericrest Nectarine
Snow Queen Nectarine

Yumm Yumm Nectarine

Shenandoah Paw Paw
Susquahana Paw Paw

Wild Transplanted Paw Paw
Wild Transplanted Paw Paw

Belle of Georgia Peach
Blaze Prince Peach
Contender Peach
Contender Peach
Cresthaven Peach
Diamond Princess Peach
Double Jewel Peach
Early Elberta Peach
Elberta Peach
Elberta Peach
Fairtime Peach
Florida King Peach
Great, early, unknown Peach
Indian Free Peach
J.H. Hale Peach
Kawea Peach
Loring Peach
Red Haven Peach
Red Haven Peach
Reliance Peach
Ruby Prince Peach
Ruston Red Peach
Unknown Peach
Unknown Peach
Unknown Peach
White Donut Peach
White Princess Peach
White Princess Peach

20th Century Pear
Ayers Pear
Mislabeled Pear
Moonglow Pear

Multi-graft Pear
Red Bartlett Pear
Unknown old, giant Pear
Unknown old, giant Pear

Kanza Pecan
Pawnee Pecan
Pawnee Pecan
Unknown Pecan
Unknown Pecan

American Native Persimmon

Chocolate Persimmon
Fuyu Persimmon
Saijo Persimmon
Persimmon
Persimmon
Persimmon

Bruce Plum
Emerald Beaut Plum
Methley Plum
Morris Plum
Ozark Premier Plum
Santa Rosa Plum
Sweet Rush Plum
Toka Plum

Spring Satin Plumcot
Spring Satin Plumcot

Bevaya Green Gage Plum-Euro
Blue Damson Plum-Euro
Bradley Plum-Euro
French Prune Plum-Euro
Green Gage Plum-Euro

Dragon Tears Pluot
Flavor Grenade Pluot
Flavor King Pluot
Flavor Queen Pluot

Caroline Raspberry
Heritage Raspberry
Fall Gold Raspberry
Formosa Carpet Raspberry
Josephine Raspberry
Latham Raspberry
Nova Raspberry

Blueberry Saskatoon
Honeywood Saskatoon
Lee 8 Saskatoon

5 Likes

Scott,
Whats your review on that, “Golden Gage”? My father told me once his father had one that produced the best plums he has every had. Tx

Sprayed copper last fall and early this spring on my fruit trees. Just noticed black rot on my grapes today anyway. Copper clearly didn’t help. I thought copper is one of the more effective methods to prevent this. How come it didn’t work? We got 2 inches of rain last week but temps been in 60’s.
Anyway, now what? Should I try another round of copper? Or is it time to throw in the towel on going organic and buy immunox? Not sure if this is the right time for immunox anyway.

I’ve got even worse news for you. I, too, sprayed copper heavy this spring AND I’ve also done one round of captan, and one round of immunox and my grapes are absolutely getting worse every day with black rot-not just the leaves but the stems and most of the grape bunches. Since folks here swear by immunox for BR, all I can figure is that I waited to late to start using it. But I don’t know why my copper didn’t work either!!!

Hopefully someone will answer your question and help us both, but I fear we are too late.

Beautiful berries- similar to the pick-your own across from me, I just don’t know how they keep them so clean! Those tomatoes, btw, have just go to be black beauty! I grew them last year and they are not just a novelty due to the color- I think they are really great tasting tomatoes! BTW, you were surprised a couple weeks ago that I had strawberries, now I am shocked to death that people near you have tomatoes that look almost ripe here in MAY!!! That is CRAZY. We always feel pretty good if we get ripe tomatoes here by the 4th of July and almost never get them more than a week or two before that. Your neighbor HAD to start those in a greenhouse. Nice pics.

:pensive::sneezing_face::weary:

1 Like

Holy cow. That’s like full time.

1 Like

You know, when I saw the final list, it looked really long to me too. But honestly, it doesn’t seem as overwhelming as you would think. Then again I probably don’t do a lot of things I should be doing…so maybe that’s it! ha

1 Like

Hi, just wondering what apricots you’ve had the most success with, and what you would recommend to others in a similar climate.

In general, the things you will read and hear about how my area (TN) is not well suited for apricots is true. They just bloom too early most years. Most people probably would disagree with my position on them, which is that if I only get fruit every 4-5 years its still worth keeping them around. But that philosophy works for me because I have lots of space and therefore don’t mind just letting them stay in place every year just waiting for those years that things work out and I get fruit.

Unfortunately, my trees aren’t old enough fr me to have acquired enough history and experience to really tell you how well they will perform over the long run. My apricots are only 3-5 years old, mostly 3 and 4. I’ve gotten fruit 2 out of 5 years total. The two that have produced best are the Autum Royal and Moorepark. Autum Royal suppossedly ripens in late summer or early fall. It is the latest ripening one I have but ripens much sooner than fall- I get them in late July. Moorepark blooms a lot later (like 2 weeks) than all my others. This doesn’t match with what I’ve read about them- I can only tell you that is what I’ve experienced. Hope that helps a little. While I get fruit rarely, when I do it is INCREDIBLE!

3 Likes

New nectaplum is planted. Really nice sized one at my local nursery. Hopefully it’ll be more productive than the tree I just cut down.

4 Likes

Impressive list Kevin. What’s your favorite peach?

This will be a completely useless answer, but I have to say it. My favorite peach BY FAR is the old tree I have that was here when I moved in (1 of 3 fruit trees on the property). It is super early (ripe by June 7 always, sometimes by June 1), yet it tastes like a late peach (or very close to it). It blooms late so has fruit even on years like this. It produces an insane fruit load every single year. Overall, its just the greatest! But it is very, very, very old and it looks it, so I’m scared to death it will die before I can graft it onto a new Root stock. This year I have a ton of seedling peach trees for the first time (its what happens when you put mulch on top of last years peach pits under the tree) so next spring I’m going to graft 10000 of them with wood off this peach to make sure I get at least one copy of old faithful!

As for an answer you can use, my favorite is contender. The peaches taste great and it blooms late enough to have fruit when others get frozen- again, like this year. The peaches also taste good and the trees are healthy and seem happy here. Some do not.

4 Likes

That old girl sounds like a great peach. I hope you are able to preserve it.

Hopefully someone will chime in with an answer to my issue above. Waiting impatiently :unamused::no_mouth:

I asked the nursery owner what the name of his black tomatoes were and he didn’t know. I asked if they were Black Beauty, and he said no. There looked have some black cherry tom’s as well. At any rate, I’ll go visit them later in the summer to see how those turn out. I imagine they did start their veggies in one of the many greenhouses they have. I thought you said your BB weren’t that good tasting?

The strawbs were pretty good, as I mentioned, but not real sweet, but good enough for us. We made some jam and canned the rest of them. The berries lose their color when canned, they turn white in red juice. Think they’d be better frozen next time.

Hopefully this time next year we’ll have our own strawbs to sample. We’re supposed to get 25 each of Earliglow and Jewel plants this week from Nourse. I tilled the back yard plot today to get it ready for them. Looks nice, all dark and fluffy soil.

I really amended the soil since it was so poor and acidic. I dumped almost 150lb of lime on it to get the pH up to somewhat normal levels. Plus, I put about 50lb of triple ten fert on it as well. So, those new strawb plants ought to like their new home.

I also tilled our potato patch today, the Mrs planted our sweet and some regular taters this evening, and I’ll plant the rest of them tomorrow.

That’s quite a list of fruit plants you have there. I can’t imagine tending to those, plus a veggie garden and have a full time job as well.

I meant to ask you about your raspberries, I know you really like Josephine, but how are your others? I ordered five more rasps from Indiana Berry, and they’ll be here next week. I planted four other rasps about a month ago, three from Tractor Supply, and one from Lowe’s. Only the Anne from Lowe’s has finally sprouted any new growth.

Something totally non-fruit related, but are you keeping up with the Predators, they’re in the NHL Western conference finals. Don’t know how popular hockey is in those parts. I’ve been watching it for about 20 years off and on, watched lots of Dallas Stars hockey when I lived there. I’m actually watching the Eastern finals right now.

OK, end of today’s novel…

I will probably call Biofix on Codling Moth and start tracking degree days for my first spray tomorrow. There were 2 CM in the trap this morning, and one already caught tonight when I check as I came in from grafting in the dark.

1 Like

Susu, if you keep spraying copper you may come out OK, the damage in your picture is not so much. I used to do 5-6 copper sprays per year. Make sure to hit one at delayed dormant (buds very swelled) at full dormant strength, and then at 1" and 6" shoots. etc. You really need to nail it early.

At some point I decided to break my 100% organic regimen to hit them with myclobutanil and with one spray per year of that things have been fine - an occasional minor outbreak and thats it. In reading up on it myclobutanil is probably safer overall than copper, copper is toxic to worms and builds up in the soil over the years. Now I only spray copper on peaches and not every year.

I think I did say the Black Beauties weren’t really good tasting, but I discovered later that the problem was that it was really hard to tell when they are ripe. I was eating them fairly unripe. Later on when I let them get really ripe, they were great. I feel pretty strong those are black beauties. Even if someone is selling seeds under a different name…I’ve never seen any other tomato that was so very “black” and they have the same shape and size and so on. I’m growing more this year.

AS for raspberries, you already said it…Josephine is just sooooo far ahead to me. As for a second place, I guess I’d say nova but not by much. Heritage are also good. Honestly the only ones I’m not crazy about is fall gold. I’ve grown Anne and the past and found it very similar- not just because both are yellow. Don’t get me wrong, they both taste sweet and good and have less acid to my taste buds. But they don’t taste as much like a raspberry if that makes sense. Also, for me, they always made quite small berries and not a whole lot of them. Performance just wasn’t that great. All this being said, I don’t do as great with raspberries as some people because-at least to me- they are so time demanding. I’ve never found a good way to keep weeds out of them, and they sucker a lot- sometimes I like that because I let them get fairly thick that way, but too many suckers have same effect as weeds. And btw…I never had more than about 50% success with those tractor supply plants. Even if I found some that had green leaves and new growth on them (which wasn’t often) they would sometimes die right after planting. I feel the problem might be due to the way they seal those plastc bags that the roots and much of the stem is in. ALso I think they package them a long time before they get to store. But who knows.

Its a great question about the predators. I feel like I SHOULD be following them, but I just have no interest in hockey- partly because I just don’t understand the game, and partly because its such a low scoring sport. And you are right- most people around here don’t follow it and don’t even know how good they are doing. Almost anyone could tell you any week in the fall how the Titans are doing or even the TN Vols, but I doubt 1 out of 10 people even know the predators made it to playoffs. Like I said, I wish I understood more and followed closer. I have heard that the games are really fun to attend - even non hockey people say that the crowd get into it and the arena has a great vibe and is fun.

Well that’s not ideal. Sorry to hear that as they are my favorites really, the yellows. I think the taste is fantastic. I guess why we need to try stuff. Mine do well, and are not small at all.
JT captured them well I think it was JT who took this photo? Mine often look just like this. I never got a good photo like this.

This is Anne.

You have to manage them, too many canes and the berries will be small and poor quality. They should be at least 6 inches apart. I remove tightly clustered primocanes. Thin them out.I myself feel they are easy to manage compared to some things.

They vary, some years not doing as well. I did get one decent photo of Polka, a red.

2 Likes