What is going on today 2017?

Thanks Scott. Is it too late to spray miclobutanyl now? Will spraying once this season keep it controlled from getting worse ? Or too late now.?

Drew those are some huge berries! Love it. What do you feed them?
Also they are beautiful, no signs of little worms as I have.

Besides leaf mulch, and other organic mulches Holly-Tone.
Again the yellows are from JT, they just illustrate well what mine can look like.
Last year was super dry and my canes were not as nice. So some years are better than others. I took the opportunity to cut everything down. I was not happy with last year’s primocanes. Some ever bearing I grow two crops as they do well, but some barely produce a floricane crop, so just grow the fall berries. I crossed Anne and Polka and one of the offspring should produce berries this year.

1 Like

I sprayed my trees in the evening and then 3 inches of rain fell overnight…

Thats almost as good as watering your trees only to have it rain substantially overnight! However you know as well as I do if you dont spray or water it never rains!

1 Like

My fault, I watered the transplants in the veggie garden

Love Anne - my son grows them, I can’t find a good spot for rasps here

Holy cow…those yellows BLOW MY MIND! Never saw anything like that. wow. Of all the things you mentioned that you do, the one that almost certainly most explains the small size of my raspberries is how you thin your canes. As I said in other post, I get a lot of suckers come up and I’m really bad about just letting them grow into new canes, even if it means having a bunch of canes all crammed in together- which is probably as bad or worse than letting a bunch of weeds grow up against and around the berry plants. You’ve always been a big raspberry guy, so the question should have gone to you and not me. I admited I don’t properly care for mine and it sounds like you do. The taste thing, however, is just subjective I guess. BTW…have you ever grown the one that I do often rave about, Josephine? THey are the only ones I’ve had to get near the size of those yellows, and they also taste different and better to me. Nice berries, Drew!

Yes, if you don’t like them, don’t try anymore. My favorite yellow is Cascade Gold. It is a summer bearer, and has even bigger fruit. It is different looking, the yellow is more opaque than translucent.When fully ripe they have a red tinge. Very good raspberries that have a very unique taste.
When I made jam out of the yellows, it was creamy compared to a red jam. I love them!

I do have a Josephine, although it is fairly new, only tasting a few off a first year plant. The berries are huge, and it has an excellent flavor. I left a floricane to see how it would do, and most of the cane died. It seems to be one just to grow a fall crop in colder areas. If that one works, no point trying a bunch. It is an exceptional fruit. I plan to cross it with Cascade Gold.

2 Likes

Send me some of that mystery peachwood. Quality peach ripe as early as June 1? Count me in.

2 Likes

Everything looks so good though after a heavy rain and some heat. Should be 1 or 2 warm days and then back to normal or even below normal.

I’ve talked about my dwarf apple hedge in the past.

Today, I bought more gear to support the hillbilly post-and-wire system.

These are the carabeeners I use to clamp the tree trunks to the thick-guage wire. I bought out the entire stock of these at Home Depot… again. Now I have enough to support all of my dwarf apple trees. Various photos to illustrate how my system works:

4 Likes

Started mulching my blueberries today. I’m using a fairly course softwood bark mulch that seems to be mostly hemlock.

Also a great peach bloom continues after 2 days of heavy rain.

13 Likes

Impressive mulching indeed…!!

2 Likes

Congrats! Looks like it’s shaping up to be a banner year for your farm.

4 Likes

How many truck loads to get that job done? cost?

Tony

These wasps were all over the back of our Mason Bee house, I was wondering why and then realized they were chewing up the old dried out wood, then taking the pulp back to their nest to make paper out of. You can audibly hear them chewing from several feet away, sounds like someone eating potato chips.

8 Likes

Severe weather, Tornadoes!!, The H word.

1 Like

I had the same problem Kevin , I was able to successfully graft my unknown peach onto a year old seedling this spring, saved it .

1 Like

Had the heaviest rain i’ve seen in some time a few hours ago… Lost power this afternoon from lightning… Love me some spring weather. Areas in central Wi are pushing 4-6+ inches of rain the past day or 2. Mississippi river will be a mud pit for the next week.