What is going on today 2017?

I may have some viable strawberry plants, I had some extras in the fridge, they may be history? The Archer cultivar, if you want them to make up for any losses let me know. i was going to throw them out, and still may, they may be dead? Afraid to look!

1 Like

They are Bristol’s and I have had them going on 9 years I think. Last summer/fall I dug them up and transplanted them into a longer row that is inline with my orchard trees to make mowing easier and to try and get some perennial weeds that had moved in under control. Also took advantage of the move to work several wheel barrels worth of compost, fertilizer, peat moss, and coffee grounds into the soil.

They are a great producer here for me, my old row was 50’ long and several seasons produced around a 100 pound of fruit!

Here is a picture from last summer of the new row going in over the old…

7 Likes

That’s very generous of you, if these don’t make it this summer I may hit you up for some. But, I think these will be OK, just a couple plugs had their roots totally exposed, and even then the sun wasn’t out that much today, so they should be alright. These plants have some awesome roots, I must say, all of them have roots at least 4" long and thick. The Jewel plugs seem to be bigger than the Earliglow’s. After tonight, it’s supposed to be dry for a whole two days, so maybe I’ll be able to re-till the plot then and get them replanted.

Late breaking news…

It’s raining again. I know, shocking. They should call the Ohio River the Amazon of the North. My wife calls this the spring monsoon season.

1 Like

That’s quite a transformation. Wow, 100lb of anything is a lot. Guess you guys like you some Bristol’s!
Have you, or are you growing any other raspberries? Does one side of the trellis support the primocanes and the other, the floricanes?

I almost pulled the trigger on a Bristol plant, but went with mostly reds, and a gold rasp. Now if I can just get it to stop raining here, so i can get them in the ground, along with the strawberries (again).

1 Like

Strawberries must really be weeds, it’s hard to kill them.
I once sprayed roundup on one, and it didn’t kill it, weak stuff probably too old too!
I didn’t mean to spray it, the thing looked a little sad for a minute. I have strawberries everywhere! I was trying to kill some stinging nettles. Man those things always get me, even in death reached out to sting me. I touched a pulled nettle and it got me.

1 Like

OMG…yr baby is so damn cute!

2 Likes

I have grow Heritage reds for many years, but have recently removed them. I plan on adding a row or two of Caroline reds next spring

.[quote=“subdood_ky_z6b, post:1427, topic:8428”]
Does one side of the trellis support the primocanes and the other, the floricanes?
[/quote]

No, all the wires are intended to support the plants in general. I like to prune my berries tall and in a way that makes them crop heavily. This tend to make them very top heavy and they end up bending over, making picking very hard on the back. I put the wires at 20" and 36" for now. The trellising tensioners I used are very easy to release and re-tension so I can move them up and down, as needed, by just moving a few staples.

1 Like

Yes, he’s quite a character. Just watching him chase his tail, jump around after every little thing he sees is quite entertaining. He is kinda clingy to us, if I’m outside he has to be right there with me. Last week I was out in the hot sun planting seed potatoes, and he comes out and sits under me for shade. He has the whole farm to find shade and he has to get under me?

When I do my daily orchard walk, he’ll sometimes go with me. For me, not that far to walk, but for him a really long way. I’m glad he goes with me, I want him to get used to his new hunting grounds. He’s still too young to mouse, but I think in a couple months he ought to be ready.

I was thinking of sending that pic of him to the local TV weather folks, and see if they’d show it. I was just getting a pic of the rain gauge and he had to see what I was doing. I was lucky to get that shot, he is constantly on the move.

We still don’t have a name for him. So, now, it’s just “kitty”. Any suggestions?

Tux? Harlie?

1 Like

He is doing according to his instincts. If he had his mom he would follow her for his own safety and also because he would be learning things from her. Now he is following you instead. Some even adult cats like to follow their owners outside especially if it gets something to them. Like when you go fishing.
You can teach him to be a good mouser. Give him small pieces of raw meat, so he’ll get used to it. Catch a mouse in the mouse trap (be careful so he cannot be caught in it) and let him play with it. There are live mouse traps, if you catch mouse in it you can let him to catch it himself. Do it in in some restricted place where mouse cannot escape. This is how mother cats teach their kittens.
He is very handsome guy. I imagine him as an adult with his tuxedo. I think the names Sir, Dandy, Nifty will fit him.

1 Like

My granddaughter likes “Oreo”!

2 Likes

Notching works for hybrid plum as well as, or better than for apples. I wanted a lower scaffold on my Superior plum, so I put in a nice notch above a bud a few weeks ago and have over a foot of growth already.

8 Likes

I went for a walk through part of the Washington Park Arboretum,near Seattle,today,to check on the condition of an Apricot,that interests me,
Along the way,there was a woody shrub,that had unique fruit,almost heart shaped.Can anyone name this?The thing almost reminds me of a Honeysuckle,but am not sure.I tasted a minuscule amount and it seemed sweet,but didn’t want to try a whole berry.The guy at the information desk attempted to help,by looking in a book,but couldn’t find a match.
Hey Scott,maybe we could have an ID category,something like Flora and Fauna Identification? Brady

Those are not twins.That is their shape.Fairly juicy.

2 Likes

Never seen one. But this is what google pulled up. Could this be it? Did it have small white flowers?

http://en.gigazine.net/news/20100531_heart_tree/

Thanks Susu,but that probably isn’t the one.Fruit is kind of close,but leaves aren’t. Brady

Today was “honey do” day, as I had some chores to do. First was replace the master bath sink drain, as it was leaking. That was pretty easy, got it done in about an hour.

Chore #2 was a bit more challenging. For the last couple years the roof down on the old house had a bare spot where the shingles, and then the underlaying tar paper had rotted away. So there was bare OSB that had gotten wet and leaked.

We had spare shingles and tar paper so, yesterday I got up on the roof and decided if I needed to replace the board. My bro in law was up there with me, and was standing on it, and it didn’t budge, so I thought it was stout enough. So, I layed the tar paper down and said I’ll do the job tomorrow. I need a few extra shingles, so I asked the wife to pick me up a bundle this morning.

After I figured out how to lay them out correctly, it took me about 4 hours to get it done. I ended up doing about a 30 sq ft area. I had to stop about half way thru, some nasty clouds were rolling in, and I didn’t want to get caught up there. Thankfully it barely sprinkled, and I was back out there in about an hour, and finished about 7:00. I think it looks pretty good, just hope it’ll hold.

There’s a couple pin hole leaks further down the roof, so I’ll have to tend to those later. But the big job is done.

Tomorrow, I’m hoping to till the tomato/pepper plot, and re-till the strawberry and corn/bean plots that got rutted out by the flash flood last weekend. Things aren’t totally dried out here, but I need to get these done, my indoor tom and peppers need to get planted next week. I started hardening them off today, just 4 hours in the shade, and more in the days to come.

2 Likes

Okay,after a bit of online checking,the plant appears to be either,Lonicera Standishii or Lonicera fragrantissima,most likely the former,Standish’s Honeysuckle.
They grow next to each other at the Arboretum and although I had a map of that garden area,it was difficult to navigate,because of all the different plants and beds.
Arthur Lee Jacobson,a local,knowledgeable plant person,describes the fruit as edible and mildly sweet,so after tasting a whole berry,that is my opinion also. Brady

2 Likes

Hamese asian pears and Black Gold cherries

11 Likes

Today I finally had an opportunity to install the top wire on the hillbilly post-and-wire system for my dwarf apple hedge.

Now there are wires at two; three; four; and six feet. Here it is next to Williams’ Pride apple on B.9 roots:

8 Likes

So, before it rained again today, I went out and re-tilled the strawb and corn patch, and tilled the tomato and cucumber patches. The soil was still pretty damp, but I was able to get all of them done. Except the corn patch, half of it was still too wet, and the tiller just buried itself in mud. I got the other half done.

But, we got another half inch of rain this evening, so it just seems like a losing battle. The plots looked OK, but we just can’t take much more, and it’s supposed to rain more tomorrow. Arrgh.

After spending about 5 hours on the roof yesterday replacing shingles, and then tilling today, my feet, ankles, and thighs are squawking. Tomorrow will be recuperation day!

1 Like