What is going on today 2017?

Thank you for you support. We had an experience with concrete work on the small scale. We did a lot of research and pretty much figured out what we need to do step by step. Since we saved money on work we spent more money on better materials. We rented a truck in U-haul for just 50$ a day and we delivered the ready mixed concrete by the trailer that you can see in a picture. The company that mixes concrete just a mile away from us so it was very convenient. We did mixed concrete before and it is very hard work, so we let the machines do it for us. We decided against ordering the large specialized concrete truck because it was more expensive and we were not sure how fast we’ll be able to work and even if we could do it in one day.
Overall work is decent. Of course if we can do it a couple more times our driveway would be even better. We did some memory prints on driveway.
My son said that doing driveway is an easier work than working in Frazoli’s, where he has a part time job.

6 Likes

There isn’t anything to do about CAR now other than making your plan for next year… Copper pre-bloom is not going to help on it anyway, you need to spray post-bloom for CAR. The galls spew their evil mess not long after bloom so earlier sprays are not helping. There isn’t any good organic treatment, I use myclobutanil on it. For years I used sulphur and Serenade only, and it didn’t seem to do much at all. Copper will russet the fruit potentially if sprayed after bloom.

5 Likes

Not yet, that is my dream though Kevin to have a little hobby farm with a small upick operation that I work 20 hours a week and my own court to give lessons on 15 or so hours a week. I have to say, I was a major workaholic from age 18 to about 35. Got married young, had kids young, so I really had to hustle and pushed myself pretty hard, so hard I felt like I rarely took the time to enjoy a sunset or the beauty in the world around us. Hurt my back pretty bad and had to have surgery in 2011. Lets just say I’ve learned to throttle it down a bit, not push myself so hard, and enjoy life a bit more. I was feeling a little sorry for myself with this big deck refinishing project I have going on, but you helped me see the bright side-if I have time for naps, tennis, and being mesmerized by a little hummingbird, life is good!

5 Likes

Thought id share a picture of the local U-pick blueberry farm that I take the kids too every summer.

13 Likes

Looks like you made more space to place potted figs.

1 Like

That looks awesome, it’s like money hanging on the trees.

1 Like

Yes, it is a lot more space than we need to park an additional car, so I can think about utilizing it :grinning:

Had a thunderstorm roll through. The wind really blew hard and knocked a big limb out of the old walnut tree

3 Likes

We had a t-storm too, 70mph winds driving pea to marble sized hail. Most of my green apples just exploded when they got hit with that. One good thing though, no more thinning this year.

2 Likes

My first year trying to grow potatoes. I have German Butterballs, Lasota, Northland, Pontiac red, a purple one, Michigan russets from potatoes that had chits growing in my grocery potato bag, and kenabec. I’m also trying to grow sweet potatoes too. I have red white and copper colored ones in a 55 gal barrel. They were growing great in my basement while I had the boiler still on. It was 85 deg down there. Then I had to shut it of a couple weeks back and they got cold and started to die. I put them outside so hopefully they take back off. I need to fill it the rest of the way and plant more slips on top. I have several slips growing so I could try and replace some if I have to. I made my potato dirt with my Amerind,Mckassic chipper shredder. It made some fine soft substrate.There is actually no dirt in the mix. I used mostly very well decade leaf mold, sphagnum moss and cow manure. I also added 10 10 10, gypsum, and bone meal. I am glad The containers are about full. Now I can watch them grow. I can’t wait to dump them over. It will be interesting to see whats inside.

5 Likes

I finally had my first harvest of Loganberries which started the first week of May and just finished. Now I have my first harvest of Dorman Red raspberries, love them both.

4 Likes

Yes I grow it, never grew any of the seeds out. I heard the Hollywood plum I think? Has red leaves too. Sounds like a good plum too. I have 3 peach seedlings, which is all I can handle right now.

Those look like they have wineberry in them. Different looking. Photos on the net of Dorman Red do not look like that.
My Loganberry didn’t survive, I have Tayberry which I really like, one of my favorites.

Butterfly on my Margil tree yesterday:

17 Likes

I agree-- looks like a Japanese wineberry.

I just google Dorman Red and they do look different on some sites? I also found on some sites that they are primocane raspberries which I do not think so? Here is a picture of my wine berry which as just flowered and also more stages of my dorman red. They differently have the same flowering characteristics.

1 Like

They are very big for wineberries, it is a Rubus plant anyway, looks like a winner to me whatever it is! I don’t think they are regular wineberries, but a hybrid. They could be Dorman Red, some sites use generic photos.

Edit: I did find one site where the Dorman fruits looked like yours. I’m going to have to try them now!

That is stunningly beautiful butterfly. Wonder what kind it is.

Is Margill an apple variety? How do you like it?

That looks to be an Old World Swallowtail. Brady

Thanks. It is a beauty.