What is going on today 2017?

I know. I have a tendency to be a bit OCD and go all out! I really just can’t wait though. I also tend to be a workaholic…

1 Like

You should protect the lower part of the trunk from rabbits, and if you have deer you should protect your plants even more seriously.

I guess I can use those tree wraps? I really have thought about that but was thinking I would let them grow up more. Should I do that early in their lives? If so I can do that right away…there are a LOT of deer out there and way lots of rabbits. We have armadillo and possum and many raccoon as well but I have a remedy for them…local knowledge from my neighbor​:+1::+1:t2: Thank you Antmary…

Fence off the property, or the planting areas, from deer. Chicken wire around the base of plants in a wide loop if you encounter problems with varmints.

In the future, you should elevate any new stonefruit (peach etc) plantings. See the video about “Elevate your plantings” on YouTube from DaveWilsonTrees.

If you get serious about new apples, pears, or stonefruits in the future, then seek to learn about different rootstock selections.

Lots of great info on this forum if you seek it out. Have fun with all that land!

2 Likes

No tree wraps; they invite mold and borers and moles. Use a wide loop of chicken wire around the bases if you encounter any varmint problems.

2 Likes

When trees are as young and small as those, rabbits can girdle them

Will do. I already have a bit in my shed right now. I’ll pick some up tomorrow. 3 ft.- 4 ft. Tall?

I’m sorry, what is girdle them?

I would imagine 3-ft is plenty tall.

1 Like

Busy weekend ahead…LOL…

Girdling is when a full ring of (nibbling or disease) damage has been inflicted to the main trunk or stem of a plant or tree. This damage obstructs the flow of nutrients up and down the plant. If girdled badly enough, the tree or plant can simply snap at the point of injury and fall over!

1 Like

Damn. I’ll most definitely be doing chicken wire this weekend. My neighbor is a trapper by trade so he takes care of the raccoons, Dillos, and possum, but there are a lot of rabbit and deer. My biggest concern later on, and I have no idea what to do, will be bear. This county has the highest population of bear supposedly in all of florida. I have a bunch of them on my trail camera. So far my hanging feeder with corn keeps them occupied…but I know they love fruit…:crossed_fingers::worried:

Yikes that does sound like a serious issue. You’re going to need a strong fence and/or a high voltage fence. I’d setup about 30,000 volts, but hey the amperage is low right…!!

Found out 5,000 volts is recommended for bear. https://www.stafix.com/en-us/helpful-information/animal-voltage-requirements

Found one. Curc scar. And a couple more. Still not many though. The poor little devil was probably crushed by the fruit. Darn! :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Small field planted pears have a tendency to produce bushy growth which is a waist of resources. I’ve spent weeks training my small pears to a central leader. Once the pears are 3’ tall then I train them back to bushy growth and rapidly back off pruning. I graft my pears as soon as they are large enough to match the scion wood I have.

Before you buy anymore fruit trees ask here, what we like, or look at the threads. What grows well, and where it grows well. Also expect a lot of disappointment with some things. You have a large learning curve, and some things will be lost. Also think about how big you want your trees. If only 8 feet or even less that can be done. Rootstock doesn’t matter for height at least except with apples. Check out the Dave Wilson Nursery videos on Utube.
Welcome aboard too!

1 Like

I few people here wanted me to propagate some White D Pineberries for them. Hard to find, the best pineberries I have tried. So I used a garden staple to pin these runners into soil.

5 Likes

I have that same old watering can, and mine for a time had a busted top like yours. You buy replacement sprinkler heads on amazon for about 3-5 bucks, fwiw.

1 Like

Well, our new kitty got himself on the TV last weekend. If you remember, we had a flash flood here a couple of weeks ago, in which we got 3.5" of rain in a little over an hour. Afterwards, I went out and took some pics, one of them was our cat wrapped around the rain gauge when I took the shot.

I sent the pic to our local NBC affiliate in Huntington, WV for their photo page and they accepted it a few days later. Last Saturday night, I was watching their news and lo and behold, there is our cat! The weatherman asked if he had a name, so I emailed him and said not yet. But since that guy showed his pic on TV, we decided to call him Josh, after that guys name. I’m glad I was watching because I was able to record it. Josh the cat is now about 6 weeks old, and getting bigger.

He’s a funny little fellow, very friendly and inquisitive. About the only time he’s a nuisance is when he can get underfoot and almost trip you. He seems to have good hunting instincts, and we hope he gets after the mice around here.

Here are the pics I took, the first one I already posted earlier on this thread.

17 Likes

Thanks, I’ll put that in my cart! (waiting to have enough items to get free postage)