What is going on today 2017?

:heart_eyes_cat:

You can buy the same watering cans here at our local Menards for under $5 … I would just go buy a new watering can.:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just had a late supper after finishing getting those strawberry plugs in the ground. I know it’s late to be planting them, but they’re not going to produce this year anyways. I got 25 of the 50 plugs planted two weeks ago, but the flash flood we had practically washed them out, so I had to just pull them up and put them back in the bag with some wet paper.

It’s only now been dry enough to do some planting, and today was perfect, sunny and in the 70s. It took most of the day, but I got 25 each of Earliglow and Jewel’s planted. Tomorrow it’ll be time to finally get those tomatoes in the ground. Really late this year, but like I said, the weather is just now cooperating.

Today I noticed somebody chomped up most of the leaves off of my newly planted cherry tree. Maybe a ground hog. Can’t imagine a rabbit being able to reach it. Most of the growth was about 2 ft off the ground.
I see the need for a tube trap more and more now :pensive:

Soon, spotted some lady beetles on my plum trees and decided to poke around

4 Likes

Yes, this is definitely true, however, sometimes to buy right tools to do the job(especially if it is one in a lifetime job) may cost you more then hire :grin:.

1 Like

Finally finished bagging the Gala apple tree - still thinking I should thin more, because I’m not getting fruit drop despite two sprays of Sevin

Strawberries [planted this year] are starting to color, as is the White Gold cherry - deploying nets

Just a note:

While most of the literature indicates that sulfur doesn’t do a great job at suppressing Cedar-Apple Rust, it looks like it did the job for me, this year.

My evidence is that I have CAR lesions on leaves of two or three seedling apple trees I have in pots, but I haven’t found any CAR on my in-ground trees. The seedlings only get sprayed if I have some left-over sulfur from spraying the in-ground trees. And I don’t think I maintained a consistent coverage of the potted seedlings, so now they have CAR. On the other hand, I made sure to hit my Dabinett tree this year, because it got CAR last year, and it seems disease-free at this point.

1 Like

I used sulphur on it for many years and did not notice a whole lot of help.

There is a relatively new compound called Regalia which I am using this year, it in combination with sulphur might be a good treatment. I already used myclobutanil this year but I may try Regalia plus sulphur only next year to see how it works on CAR. Regalia is supposed to increase the plant’s own defenses, it doesn’t kill anything itself. Its somewhat expensive but I found Martin’s Produce has a pretty good price on it in the 2.5 gallon size.

https://www.martinsproducesupplies.com/chemicals/[term-name]/regalia-biofungicide

At their price it is $2 per 5-gallon backpack tank.

Have you ever played with adjusting soil micros to see if it has an effect on rust? I have just started reading up on the topic because I am tired of losing leaves and my hollyhocks every year. It seems like a foiliar Mg boost to stomp on Phosphorus overload ought to help various rusts from studies in Louisiana. I am going to try analyzing and overloading Mg next year.

1 Like

I’ve never done that but it could be a good idea. I think I found the study you are referring to:

http://apsjournals.apsnet.org/doi/pdf/10.1094/PHYTO-97-6-0748

This is on sugarcane. The problem is it could be some other nutrient issue on apples vs sugarcane since they are very far apart in the plant kingdom. I put down a micronutrient fertilizer every year thats about all I do about micronutrients.

I have found Martin’s Produce to have a great selection of orchard supplies and the lowest prices I could find on many common sprays.

3 Likes

I finally bit the bullet and got me something that will cut my mowing time in half. And was able to pass over the old cub to my dad who has a much smaller yard.

20 Likes

I was curious because I have hard clay soil with lots of calcium problems and rust problems on both apples and hollyhocks. I would love to think there’s some way to supplement the health of the tree to fight off the rust more successfully. By the time my hollyhocks bloom they are dying from the ground up. I would love to think some kind of lime plus foliar spray could let me grow them perennially.

On a brighter note, I think I have made it through the first wave of squash borers. Now to remain vigilant enough to spot when the next round begins. I seem to be the only southerner who can’t keep zucchini alive!

1 Like

We had a Gravely at our house when I was a child. The mower was huge and green, about four times as wide (or so it seemed!) They are the best!!!

2 Likes

I need that! I’d drive that thing to the grocery store :wink:

It hit 97F yesterday…That is the hottest earliest reading since1934… May 31, 1934 was 107F … I’ve read some about the heat of the 1930’s for this area…people were sleeping in parks (this was before AC).

2 Likes

Ha, ya had to trump me didn’t ya. J/K nice ride.

1 Like

Looks like it has a nice drink holder - no need to rush.

1 Like

Just picked my first set of Arctic Star nectarines (racquet ball sized, should have thinned :grinning:) off my 2 year old tree. They were unbelievably good. My son ate 3 in about 3 minutes. I think they might be my favorite fruit of the trees I have.

5 Likes

Really nice! I have good friend that sells Gravely here and it’s a helluva machine. Big Congrats.