What is going on today 2017?

For the first time in my garden I am noticing after the first flush of new growth on my fruit trees, (mostly plums), and after the initial wave of aphids, I am seeing masses of Lady Beetle and lace wing eggs. They are situated on the underside of leaves of various fruit different trees. Both egg shapes are easily recognizable. You read about waiting for the good guys to show up, and boy have they.

3 Likes

I ordered the lacewing eggs and also put out ladybug lures - seeing ladybugs now

1 Like

Boy that would be absolutely perfect, as September is hurricane and tree trimming season around here.

2 Likes

Aphids are horrible right now… Apples and pears

2 Likes

I’ve been home ill with a fever that went from a true fever to now this low-grade 100F thing that just knocks me back a little. I got the darn thing at work, and it seems pretty contagious. So I guess I should stay home til it is gone for everyone else’s sake, but I’m going a little stir crazy.

2 Likes

Aphids in the lettuce - complete with guardian ants

1 Like

Looks good.

Just curious, how do you keep the grass from invading the wood chipped areas? I didn’t see any edging there.

1 Like

This is my first year for black cherry aphids. I sprayed soap then three times with Triazacide and also put up tangle foot. I haven’t sprayed for two weeks now but they are still in some of the tips of my cherry trees. I have had the green ones previous years. I could use soap on those with no problem. These black ones the ants must put them through chemical warfare training!!

1 Like

Sorry to hear you are under the weather. Too bad all the fruit scions have been grafted or it would be a lovely time to sit and make wish lists for new fruit trees.

2 Likes

Poorly :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think in the past on pears i’ve had some success with neem oil (pure) mix with soap/hot water…don’t recall the mix right now. Seem to helps. Makes the leaves look nice and shiny.

1 Like

Too bad. I was hoping you could share the secret. It looks nice though…

2 Likes

Make sure there isn’t any branch contact with neighboring trees, the ants will eventually find that and be back. If the ants are all gone the aphids will stop expanding.

3 Likes

Cardboard under trhe wood chips helps the weed suppression last a little longer…emphasis on ‘little’. :blush:
And the weed fabric under trhe wood chips lasts longer but you have to keep it covered or the sun breaks it down.

1 Like

The ants are gone. I’m waiting for lady bugs to come. My spray must be worn off by now. My cherries quit growing and half have turned yellow or brown. My Bing tree is starting to blush, but the cherries are only 1/2" in dia.

1 Like

A particularly ornery bee stung me in the eyebrow while I was taking a nap in the orchard. Had to cancel my tennis plans as it is swollen most of the way shut. "Cut me Mick, cut me. . . "

3 Likes

How does one take a nap in an orchard? Do you have like a hammock between your trees?

Oh my, I bet that was an rude awakening!

I keep a reclining lawn chair and ottoman out there all year . Even in winter I lay out there if there is any sun at all, open up the layers and at least get some sun on the belly. Over 35 with no wind the shirt comes off. Even if it’s too cold to open up, just feeling the sun on your face for a few minutes lifts the spirits, and gets me through these long Minnesota winters.
It was a rude awakening! We had just worked the hive the day before so I think that’s why the bee was so crabby.

3 Likes

Not the very best day today. No internet other then mobile, so I have to take a day off - I work from home. Got 3 cu y of pine bark mulch delivered to cover my garden passways. the so called mulch is as fine as compost and steaming. Great for container mix, but not to be used as mulch. And what I am going to do with it now?

1 Like

I like the fine stuff for mulch. It keeps the sun from penetrating and keeps the moisture in. I use the chunks for potting. It helps with drainage and keeping the pot lighter.