What is going on today 2017?

You will get eatable apples from those bruised ones.

2 Likes

Thanks Steve!

That’s some weird, wild stuff. I saw some folks using snowblowers on all that hail! Did it strip any leaves off your fruit plants? Any damage to your house or vehicles?

I worry about the occasional pop-up storm that can roll thru this time of year, especially with high wind and hail. That happened a couple years ago a few days after we just got 40 tomato plants put in the ground. We lost three plants, and all the others were damaged to some degree. But, those all recovered eventually. Those storms taught me to make sure and put mulch down and stake my plants.

Everything lost some leaves, and look a bit beat up, but I bet in a week I won’t be able to tell anything happened. . .aside from some less than stellar looking apples. No visible damage to house or vehicles, I know roof damage can show up later but I don’t think the hail pieces were big enough to hurt the shingles, but if they were I’d be glad to pay my deductible and get a new roof!:slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, you are in the “windy city”. But, sorry to hear about the damage. It’s been hot here the last week, and a bit breezy. That takes its toll on newly planted veggies, so we’ve been diligent about watering them. But, we’re supposed to have some rain in a few days, so that’ll help.

So sorry, I cannot imagine!

2 Likes

they’re a type of damselfly. they hang mostly around water on irises up here. they are pretty cool looking!

3 Likes

I transplanted some mountain ramps (wild leeks) into the forest behind my house in April. Yesterday I noticed they have taken and sent up flowers with seeds! Looks like I may have my personal ramp patch back after losing my other one when I sold my previous home.

EDIT: For some reason my pictures are rotating 90 degrees despite being taken in the proper orientation. Not sure why

5 Likes

Congrats, I understand they’re very hard to get going. Will they be like a perennial, so that you’ll get some every year, or are they kinda sporadic?

2 Likes

Is that a 100 yr hail storm? That’s a lot of hail!

1 Like

Having a bad week, Used the front end of my little Honda Fit to push a big Bambi off the road the other night in N. Mo. Severe deer damage to my car, no personal damage. 15 miles from home, with a headlight assy. gone and front end damage to my car, Ia highway patrol stopped me and issued me an equipment citation for no headlight where I killed Bambi with my car. Thursday the bodyshop tells me the car is 90% for sure totaled, Friday they say State Farm says fix it. My head exploded!! 63% damage to total value, fix it not total it. So today waiting on my ins. agent of 31 yrs., add comes on the hold music, State Farm for life insurance, not after my deer damage. Your only 63% dead and we won’t pay! My head is going to explode again!
Top it all off, some one backed into my rental car at a rest stop at 515 this morning. Bad week!

1 Like

when it rains it pours! hope next week is better for you! that bites! go get yourself a 6 pack and sit in the garden.:wink:

3 Likes

I hope so!

1 Like

I hope you beat the ticket

1 Like

Oh Chickles! That is all horrible news and you didn’t do anything wrong!!! Extra bud wood for you!!:heart:

4 Likes

I had my own deer incident this morning. I’m out in the orchard picking cherries and taking pictures when I hear this bleating sound and turn to see my dog inches behind a baby deer running down the street. I can’t do anything to distract him and he runs into the busy street chasing the baby. Somehow nobody gets hit and dog eventually comes back. I don’t know what happened to the baby in the end, we saw mom around looking for it.

2 Likes

Thanks every one for your responses. All of our collected stories give us more reason to call deer vermin.
I could and can coop with everything except the utter soullessness of the state trooper. Didn’t matter about anything, he was going to write that ticket. I know the profile tests for cops is viewing the world in black/white, right/wrong, but there was no, are you ok, what happened, anything, just the law says if you don’t have a headlight, I write a ticket. I sincerely hope he has more give with his wife and kids, just a little milk of human kindness to sweeten life’s path.

7 Likes

contest it in court and maybe they will throw the ticket out after hearing your story?

2 Likes

Go splurge on a couple more hundred foot hoses. You’ll wonder why you waited so long!

7 Likes

Yes. They are 100% perennial. If you leave them alone you’ll have a huge patch in 5-10 year. Each flower has many seeds that fall to the ground and grow the next year. You are never supposed to pick more than half your patch. But since I’m starting new Ill probably let them multiply 3-4 years amd see how they grow.

1 Like